Trip to Wilmington, NC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Walsh, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh Stunt Coordinator

Is anyone familar with this area of NC and if so is there anything I should check out while I am down there for a few days in May? I heard they make a lot of films there and it just seems like a cool place all around. My girlfriend is looking to go to the University of North Carolina Wilmington campus next year for graduate studies in creative writing and I just love the beach so it sounds great to me also. Anyway we just wanted to check it out for a few days and I just wanted to know if there was anything specific we should check out while there. Also any other insight into this area will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Eric

2. Bob-Smith

Bob-Smith Agent

One of my favorite vacation places. It is not your typical tourist destination, because it is not on the ocean. Wrightsville Beach is 20 minutes away, and is a wonderful beach with really cool sea shells. It also, is uncrowded as compared with Myrtle Beach, etc. The battleship USS North Carolina is on display in Wilmington for tours and is very worthwhile. The evening show at the battleship (that you watch from grandstands) is very moving. There are civil war forts and museums within an hours drive, lots of very old architecture, and it is Michael Jordan's home town.

3. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

Eric, I received my MA in English from UNCW four years ago. At the time, the MFA in Creative Writing was still housed under the English department, so I'm pretty familiar with the program. If your girlfriend has any other questions, feel free to e-mail me.

After living there for two years, my general opinion is that Wilmington is a better town to visit than to live in. It's a strange mix of people -- wealthy northerners who have retired to Wrightsville, young bohemians who live in the historic district downtown, students and faculty associated with the university, locals of the Eastern Carolina tobacco farming variety, and (in my experience, at least) impoverished African-Americans who live in a relatively confined area. Honestly, it's the most segregated -- economically, socially, racially -- place I've ever lived. Other Wilmington residents on this board might disagree.

Things to do on your visit? My best memories are of the food. All of the Cerro Grandes feature great, cheap Mexican food. Elizabeth's has amazing New York style pizza and sandwiches. And if you decide to go out for a nice meal, check out The Faded Rose downtown. It's a cajun(ish) steak place with a great wine list and some of the best food I've ever had. Even if you don't eat there, though, be sure to spend an evening just walking around down by the river. There are lots of great coffee shops, galleries, and antique places to browse. And, yes, you will also recognize many of the sights from Dawson's Creek, which is filmed there.

4. Mike D.

Mike D. Stunt Coordinator

My mother and step-father live right outside Wilmington at one of those "golf communities". It is a nice area. The already-mentioned Wrightsville Beach is nice. There's a cute zoo (Tote-'em-in???) along the way from Wilmington to Wrightsville, if you have kids with you. The riverfront is really nice in the evening, some nice bars and restaurants, and in the summer especially, street entertainment like jugglers, a ghost walk through historic homes, etc. NC State acquarium, if it's re-opened yet. Really, there's quite a bit else too.

5. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Here are some filming locations to check out:
    Orton Plantation - "The Shop" in Firestarter (Drew Barrymore)
    Burgaw, NC - the town from "Silver Bullet"
    Area right around the bridge to Wrightsville Beach (used to be the Bridge Tender) and Pussers - Seen in "I Know What You Did Last Summer"
    Also NC 24 towards Burgaw had the truck stop from "Maximum Overdrive" ; guess Stephen King really liked the area.
    Those are the ones off the top of my head. Also check out the Battleship; I've only been 30 times or so, but I consider it pretty cool [​IMG]. Also taking the ferry from Southport to Ft Fisher (to go to the aquarium) is pretty neat. Lots of windsurfers next to the ferry.