What's new

Trip to the Frozen Tundra (Lambeau Field) (1 Viewer)

Scott_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
First a short explanation...I'm getting married in September and have been trying to close out some of the small items now so that things aren't too hectic right around the time of the wedding. One thing I've been focussing on are the gifts for my groomsmen. I was thinking of doing the engraved flask or pocket knife kind of thing but thought it may be cool to instead take the guys to a football game and treat them to some tailgating fun as well. So thats how this got started.

Now, I have three groomsmen. One lives in Syracuse (where I live as well), one in Boston and one in Milwaukee. Since I'm in Syracuse, going to a Buffalo Bills game is pretty easy...meaning tickets can be found and gotten for a very reasonable price. Plus I'm within easy driving distance of the stadium and they tailgate with the best of them out there, so it would be a guaranteed good time.

However, since two of the guys would have to travel anyway and since one lives in Milwaukee, we thought we would add the possibility of going to a Packers game as well. Since going to Lambeau is pretty much a football pilgrimage (one of which I've been wanting to do since I started watching football) and since this may the last year (or next to last year) you can see No. 4 playing on the field, it seemed like a good time to try.

Now the problem I'm finding, is that its pretty darn tough to find affordable Packer's tickets (probably cause a lot of other people are thinking the same thing I'm thinking). I have checked ebay relentlessly and keep finding tickets, but it looks like it would cost a little more than I was expecting. I figured I would check in with you guys to see if you knew of a good broker or some sort of source for tickets that were at least a little more in line with the actual value of the ticket as opposed to some of the craziness I'm seeing on the web so far.

Anyway...whatever help you guys can give me would be great.

(Just as a side note...we have already picked up tickets for the Bills last home game as a backup plan, so if the Packers thing doesn't work we are at least covered one way or another)

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Well, I'm sure someone from WI will chime in and add to it, but you will never find decent priced Packer tickets. It's been awile since I looked into it, but expect to pay at least 3 times the face value, and thats for crap seats.

I would just go with your backup plan and if your ever in the midwest plan a trip to GB to tour the field at least

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I know you're a group and would like to go as a group but perhaps you could find a two sets of pairs of tickets, rather than 4 seats all together. Four seats are going to be tougher to get and pricier. You could get single seat tickets easier and cheaper...but that's in a "we simply HAVE to go to Lambeau, even if we don't get to sit together" situation. I don't imagine that's what you'd be looking for.

A good idea is to stay away from Ebay. Like any other auction...people bid stupid and vastly overprice the tickets. But, to be honest...there isn't a real ideal situation for you. Just know you WON'T find tickets anywhere near the face value unless you either A: know someone with season tickets and can get them to sell them to you or B: Get extremely lucky. But you are right in the regard that with this being probably Favre's last season, people are going to be going nuts on buying tickets and making it harder and more expensive to go.

It used to be that when we'd get an AFC team to visit later in the year, tickets could be had fairly easily and for slightly more than face value. But, alas...that is no more. Now all tickets are outrageous. Of course, if you got on the waiting list for season tickets, you'd only have to postpone the wedding for the next 300 years :)

Bruce

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I was going to suggest that you might want to try to attend the Family Night scrimmage on Aug. 6th. Tickets are about $10 and although it's nothing more than a glorified practice, it's still a great time to see the team in action and there is, of course, plenty of tailgating goin' on. However, the tickets to this years scrimmage sold out in less than three hours.

Definitely. Touring the stadium and the Hall of Fame is worth the trip to any football fan.

Bruce

Scott_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah I probably picked one of the worst years to try and go to Lambeau...oh well. Its kind of funny how before Favre came to town people were always joking about the battle of the bays (Green and Tampa that is) during my lifetime at least and how awful it was. Now, like you guys are saying, you can't touch tickets to the Packers without taking a little bit of a hurting. Well I guess Green Bay tickets have always been hard to get since its such a football town, but it still is kind of funny how bad they used to be. Anyway...I thought about the family nights as well, but like you said not only are they sold out, but even the tickets for that on sites like ebay are getting out of hand.

I did come across this site http://fuzzystickettours.com/ which is run by Fuzzy Thurston. There are some decent priced tickets (still 3 times there face value at least) but at least it gets me out of annoying bidding wars on ebay.

I've got a feeling though that we are going to stick with the Bills tickets. We've got good seats and its their last home game and its on a Saturday night. The funny thing is that for the money I was willing to spend on these groomsmen gifts; if we go to Buffalo I can take care of the tickets, the transportation, the tailgating, beverages to keep people lubricated during the game, a hotel room for the night and some slush funds for extra food or whatever. for a Packers game I can just barely afford the tickets. Oh well...we'll keep trying and see what happens.

Thanks again for the info and if you guys come across anything else that may help out, please let me know. Thanks.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
A little tidbit: there is no such thing as Frozen Tundra at Lambeau Field anymore. That's because the field now sports heating pipes buried into the turf, so even on the coldest days you won't have frozen field conditions. :)

Jason L.

Second Unit
Vince Lombardi first installed heating coils underneath Lambeau Field prior to the 1967 season (the system failed during the Ice Bowl). In 1997 the original system was replaced by more than 30 miles of radiant heating pipe, which maintains a root-zone temperature of 70-plus degrees during winter months.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks