What's new

Trip to Newbury (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Comments, questions, ramblings...
Rolling Stones
Attention New England residents: Newbury comics is selling the new Stone hybrids at $11.99. This is the cheapest I've seen them.
I picked up Hot Rocks for $23.99. I forgot how much they were charging for the Singles Collection since I'm not particularly interested in that title.
I simply could not wait for stuff to come in the mail. Hot Rocks should hold me over until my order from Best Buy arrives.
Yes- Magnification
I found a 2 CD import version of Magnification for $24.99. Does anyone have this one? Do you think it's worth it?
Track list for the second disk:
1. Deeper (in the Presence Of) (Live)
2. Gates of Delirium (Live)
3. Magnification (Live)
4. CD-ROM track:
- Jon Anderson Video Interview
- Don't Go (Single Video)
- Gates of Delirium (Live Video)
The second track was the selling point for me. I really hope it's the whole thing and not some lame-ass short version or excerpt.
If the second disc is good, I'm glad I waited so long to pick this album up.
Miles Davis
Found a used copy of We Want Miles. I stayed away from his 80s work because it's blasted by pretty much everyone. Silly me- I should known better than to trust critics and others over Miles himself. His late music was damn good. Marcus Miller is a monster on bass. Of course Miles works with master musicians. Sure there are some bum tunes, but the good more than makes up for it. The "80s" sound is a bit dated, but that doesn't stop us from listening to the Talking Heads, right?
DCC Gold Discs
I saw a bunch of these in the used section, including, off the top of my head:
John Coltrane- Lush Life, Traneing In (I have both of these on regular CD)
Miles Davis- Musings of Miles
They were going for $15.99. Is it worth it? Would there be a significant improvement in sound or do they just look pretty? I know Mobile Fidelity had a reputation for making fancy expensive nice gold discs, but I can't assume that it's necessarily true for these DCC discs, especially since there are a bunch stuck in the used bin.
Happy shopping!
NP: Rolling Stones, Hot Rocks, SACD, CD layer- finally!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the Newbury Comics prices for the Stones CD/SACDs are $11.88 per single disc set! The Singles Collection is going for $35.88. Best I've seen anywhere.
I picked up LET IT BLEED, BEGGAR'S BANQUET, GET YER YA-YA'S OUT, and AFTERMATH (UK). To put it mildly, I cannot wait to get home!!! :D

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Damn, I hate you guys!!! I'm going to be in Boston tomorrow!!! But I was just going to head out this afternoon and pick up Hot Rocks. If I get them in Boston, I will save $6. If I get them up there though, I will lose at least one days worth of listening.

Decisions, decisions!!!

I'll be honest, I'm probably not that patient and frugal.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I gotta tell you - I love living around the corner from Newbury Comics. Almost without fail, they have the best deals around.
So what if it's only a coupla bucks? :)
BTW, I just want to point out that if you plan to complete your Stones remaster collection, the only release that you need NOT buy is "Hot Rocks". While I'd certainly recommend that title to anyone who's only looking for a single repository of great early Stones tunes, please know that everything on the release is available elsewhere. The only compilation release of the remasters that contains material unavailable elsewhere is "The Singles Collection".

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Rich, there are also two other compilations- called Volume 1 and Volume 2, but also have real names.

I admit, I didn't particularly plan out my purchases. The only ABKCO Stones I had before today was Hot Rocks, so I replaced it. Let It Bleed, Beggar's Banquet, and Aftermath (UK) are coming in the mail. The overlap between those and Hot Rocks is not bad. It remains to be seen if I'll dig deeper into their albums after that. Their early R&B covers and later psychedelia don't seem to appeal to me right now.

NP: Yes, Magnification

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Not a huge Stones fan, so "Hot Rocks" is good enough for me. Wow. What a great remaster. Sounds incredible on SACD. I cannot believe they got it to sound this good.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Went back to Newbury to exchange a DVD. Of course, couldn't keep out of the jazz section...

I came away with three Coltrane DCC gold discs. I quick A/B of the first track of Traning In demonstrated an improvement from the regular CD. That and Lush Life have now been replaced.

I found an XRCD for $3.99! Best deal ever. It is:
NP: Tom Coster, From the Street, XRCD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks