Trip to New York - Further Advice Needed Please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zak Solo, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Zak Solo

Zak Solo Agent

Well finally my trip is approaching, thanks to everyone's input in suggestions of places to see and things to do.

I have one problem - I am trying to sort out a venue for New Years Eve - I ideally want to go to a restaurant with some entertainment - whether it is a singer or just some dancing - but somewhere classy as well.

I am staying in the Midtown East Area (near the Rockefeller Centre) so ideally would like somewhere in the vicinity (ie walking distance).

I have found Aureole Restaurant which so far is my best find. They mention dinner jackets I assume they mean Black Tie, Tuxedo - Bib and Tucker as we say here!

Also I realise it is absolutely freezing over there so I am really looking forward to a snowball fight in Central Park. Someone told me to eat the yellow snow?

Mnay thanks in anticpation of further help.

Zak

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I recommend you keep checking on local news. (Try New York 1 or register for free at the New York Times website.) The city is currently threatened with a mass transit strike that would begin on Dec. 15. If a deal can't be reached between the MTA and the transit workers union, the city will be almost impossible to navigate.

3. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

Zak:

A friend of mine booked a table at the Marriot Marquis in Times Square. They have a restaurant pretty high up overlooking the "ball drop" and all the people freezing below ... very NY thing to do without being in the mob below!

The $700 for 2 people includes open bar from 8pm-2am, dinner and then open buffett all night, 10 piece orchestra and later DJ and dancing as well as party favors and champagne.

Might do this myself this year as I have never really done a traditional NY thing like this myself.

Aureole is a great restaurant on 61st street, but probbaly just as pricy for that night. The food will definetelly be better, but the vibe probably will not.

4. Michael Reuben

The restaurant is called "View", and the view is what you pay for, because the food is notably undistinguished.

The big negative with your friend's plan is actually getting to the restaurant. Times Square becomes very difficult to enter and exit after about 4pm on New Year's Eve.

M.

5. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

$700 is only what, 400 pounds? [​IMG]
    it sounds much less expensive that way..

7. Zak Solo

Zak Solo Agent

$700 is around £440. Seems like a lot of money - is a lot of money. I think I will pass on spending that much.

But thanks for the suggestions.

Only another 18 days to go!

Zak

8. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

I agree with Michael, if the MTA workers strike, the city is going to be a nightmare trying to get around.
    My wife's family lives in Jersey, so when we go down to NYC we usually stay with them. We take the NJ Commuter Rail train into Penn Station (right by MSG), then take the subway wherever we want to go.
    One thing to note: the NYC subway is unlike any other subway system in America... its a monster. You have different letters for each train, and different numbers (for the routes- destination). Buy a good map, and study the subway map before you go out to reach your destination... of course, this is assuming that the public trans is still running [​IMG]

9. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

10. Zak Solo

Zak Solo Agent

London Underground (The Tube)is quite easy once you get the hang of it. I guess the only daunting thing for me is the number of lines and the number of stations on the NY Subway.

Also it will be a lot cheaper than the tube fares here.

Thanks chaps

11. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

TA workers will be fined 2 days pay for every day thier on strike...it will not last long.

12. Michael Reuben