Trip to Kyle's (Maelstrom Drool)... and an Adire Experience

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Casey H, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Casey H

Casey H Stunt Coordinator

Hey All,
    Just dropping a line to inform you that I have partaken in the "Maelstrom Majesty". My Pa-In-Law and I are building Tempest Sono's and we went to Kyle's to pick up the goods. Well let me tell ya that Maelstrom of Kyle's opened a can of whoop ass! If you are considering building one you wouldn't be disappointed. BTW, the box is not as big as it appears on Kyle's website so don't be alarmed of the size. Also, the Maelstrom is very, very musical which I would not have figured. Anyway, everyone have a great day!
    On a second note: (A extremely positive Adire experience). I ordered a B-Stock AVA250 from Adire, and the description on the website said "just a few minor scratches in the corners etc.". I think "OK, nothing major since the amp will be behind my gear anyway!". Well when it came it looked awgered as all get out, just looked very used and 2 of the screws were missing on the face plate. Well, I was a little concerned about that so I emailed Adire to let them know what I had received. I didn't hear anything for a day or so, then I pulled up my email to see a mail from UPS that a replacement amp had been sent out. Oh Boy! I was at least excited enough to know that they were concerned enough to send a replacement, but when I got it I was overjoyed to have received a BRAND NEW Amp, not another B-stock mind you but a new in the box AVA250 (and even with the defeat able crossover!). KEEP UP THE EXCELLENT WORK ADIRE! YOU NEVER CEASE TO AMAZE ME!
    Thanks, Casey [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

It was fun. It's always fun meeting people that are into the same hobby as yourself. BTW, Fellowship of the Ring sounded extremely good with the Maelstrom too [​IMG]
    Thanks for the compliments.

3. Tom-K

Tom-K Stunt Coordinator

The Fellowship is tough on subs. I have a twin I/B Tempest with 770 watts driving them. The opening scene where they chop off Sauron's hand, and it hits the ground. Wow, I think I did some possible damage:-(. I heard a loud noise, almost like a pop. Did I destroy my drivers? I planned on getting (2) new adire 15s, but was hoping to at least be able to sell mine. They sounded ok afterwards, but I don't want to sell damaged equip to my friend. Is there a way I can tell if they are ok? Thanks.

4. Ok....About to go get the DVD...
    what scenes exactly are bass heavy besides the intro scene [​IMG]...so I know when to turn it up some more!

5. The pop could have just been the drivers bottoming out. If they sound the same, then you probably have nothing wrong with them.

6. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

I finally built my 10ft3 box tuned to 17hz with my BPD1803 powered by 750w of Crest power.. It was great watching all the scenes that people bottom their subs on, and mine is probably only hitting 1/2 xmax, now I don't have to cringe everytime a bass heavy scene comes on.. U571/Haunting DTS/TPM all shake the house and the woofer isn't even working hard.. Can't wait to get my hands on LOTR, I preordered it here in Canada but it ain't here yet, DAMN!

7. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Tom, it sounds like they bottomed out a bit but they should be fine if they played okay after that incident.

Anthony, just pick a chapter from the beginning to the end and I'm sure there's a demo scene within. Great DVD.

8. charles_w

charles_w Stunt Coordinator

Anthony,
    I'll be surprised if your not turning it down rather than up[​IMG] Excellent soundtrack to make your system shine.
    Lee

9. Have you guys listened to just the Audio Soundtrack to LOTR:FOTR??? One hell of a nice piece of work. Imagining is supurb! Do not try and nowload the MP3 unless it is 190kbps or higher. It is very unforgiving on MP3s!

10. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Hay that sounds great Casey. I have been thinking of that being my first DIY. 18" being musical to, that's good. I am pretty much 100% HT but there is lots of music on movies to. It does seem as though Kyle is very fast in his replies and his willingness to help. He has my confidence. I wonder if all us first timers have been as big a pain as me. So many questions and I haven't even started. Its got to take patience on his part. Well have fun watching all your DVDs over again. I will be by at 6:00 to borrow your new sub for a week or so. I think the opening to ARMAGEDDON will play first.[​IMG]