What's new

Trio channel - who has it? (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I was looking at their lineup on www.triotv.com and love what they broadcast. Old Letterman episodes, Sessions at West 54th! I already sent the email to my local Cable provider to receive it but just wondering how popular is this channel?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Over the holidays, on their brilliant but cancelled theme, I saw the pilot episode for the never picked up "L.A. Confidential" television series with Kiefer Sutherland in the Jack Vincennes role. It's a shame it was never picked up or aired (before Trio showed it last September), but it is a great idea to give us a chance to see such unaired pilots.

Regards,

Sean Cauley

Stunt Coordinator
If you ever get a chance, keep an eye out for the Lookwell pilot during one of their "brilliant but cancelled" periods. Adam West in a single-camera no-laughtrack comedy from 1992, created by Conan O'Brien and Robert Smigel. A little too Hollywood-inside to have succeeded, but very funny.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Or the Dear Diary pilot with Bebe Neuwirth. A little too ahead of its time. New York City hadn't yet come back into fashion, and I suspect ABC was a bit nervous about the frank sexuality. It eventually won the 1997 Oscar for best short film.

And just a few years later, Sex and the City premiered on HBO.

But my favorite "Brilliant But Cancelled" series remains East Side/West Side, which is now forty (yes, 40) years old. Starred George C. Scott as a social worker in New York. Very talky by today's standards, but decades ahead of its time in exploring social and political issues of the day. The series also featured a host of up-and-coming actors who have since become familiar faces, and it's fun to spot them.

M.

DavidDisney

Auditioning
I recently got access to Trio on Comcast in the Atlanta area by adding the "digital deluxe" package, which also includes Fox Sports World, Sundance, Ovation, Goodlife network and a few others. I stumbled across the Brilliant but Cancelled shows for the Fargo tv pilot (with Edie Falco as Marge) and Dear Diary with Bebe Neuwirth. Both were pretty good. Have to remember to check the schedules for this channel now.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I've asked Trio to track down the pilot for Catch 22 starring Richard Dreyfuss, and the TV special Rod Serling did for Unicef called Carl for Another Christmas starring Sterling Hayden, Peter Sellers, and Robert Shaw that was so controversial (at the time) that it was only shown once. The UCLA film archives has it, but you need to be a "scholar" to see anything there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks