What's new

Trimming veneer for flush mounted drivers (1 Viewer)

Cameron_Peck

Stunt Coordinator
I have built the Audax home theater center channel speaker and I am in the process of building the boxes for the left and right speakers now. I have veneered the back and sides for the center channel. Trimming the veneer with a laminate trimming bit was no problem for the outside edges and the ports. I am wondering how to trim out the holes for the speaker drivers. The ball bearing on my laminate trimming bit is thicker than the recess for my speakers. Has anyone else run into this problem and how did you overcome it?

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
I have this issue with all my enclosures. I actually bought a CMT Grand Rabbet set that I use to trim the veneer. I use it pretty much just for this trimming. As long as the bit is sharp, you get a nice clean cut. Also, another trick to get no chip-out is to put one coat of your finish on before trimming. I spray a conversion varnish on everything. One coat is enough to hold everything together and you get nice sharp edges with no chip-out when you trim.

See the line array thread for examples on the cabinet. Pics of the finished baffle will be up tonight.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks