What's new

Trilogies comprised of THREE good movies? (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
A vote for Three Colors.

I'd argue that several of the film sets mentioned aren't triologies. For example, although there are three 'Indiana Jones' flicks, they are closer to being episodes in a serial than a true trilogy.

An interesting read: Umberto Eco's essay on sequels/serials (literary and cinematic). I'll dig up the reference.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I don't think anyone mentioned Jurassic Park yet? I enjoyed all 3 of them. Nothing like dinos chasing and eating people. Only thing that needed to be excluded was the whole gymnastic/kicking the raptor scene. God, that is the worst scene ever in a film. :)

-Dean-

Tony Stirling

Stunt Coordinator
Heh, another vote for Trois Colours from me! And Ray's Apu Trilogy as well. Sublime. It really needs to be on DVD. Sooner better than later.

tony

Jim J

Second Unit
What we need is Toy story 3...
Then that would rank with Lord of the Rings

So few others that everybody agrees is a true tri-fecta

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I read a piece a while back where the writer described

Close Encounters of the Third Kind
E.T. The Extra-terrestrial

and
Poltergeist

as a loose trilogy of the suburban landscape. :)

Scott A.

Agent
I second Jefferson's mention of the Gilliam trilogy.

Would also mention the Hannibal Lecter Trilogy, (with Hopkins).

Although actually five films now I'll also mention Kevin Smith's New Jersey "trilogy." Comprised by Clerks, Mallrats, and Chasing Amy. (We can just pretend that Dogma and Jay and Silent Bob strike Back were never made :wink: )

Cheers,
S

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Just a heads-up:

Columbia is releasing Satyajit Ray's Apu Trilogy on October 28th. I just saw these for the first time several months ago and HIGHLY recommend them. A must-have for film buffs.

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
I have to agree with both The Apu Trilogy and Three Colors and want to add John Carpenter apocalypse trilogy (I know, it's streching a bit): The Thing, Prince of Darkness and In the Mouth of Madness

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
1) George Romero "Living Dead" trilogy (Night, Dawn & Day)
2) Star Wars trilogy
3) Back to the Future trilogy
4) Jurassic Park trilogy (I liked 'em all. The 2nd one could have been better).
5) Alien 1 - 4
6) Indiana Jones trilogy
7) The Abbott & Costello Meet... films (Frankenstein, Invisible Man, Jekyll & Hyde, The Mummy)

George See

Second Unit
How about a potential nod to the Civil War trilogy...I recently checked out Gods And Generals and I know some people have complained about it but I really enjoyed it just as much as I enjoyed Gettysburgh. So when the third film comes out I think this trilogy will have some serious potential to make a list of great trilogys.

As for what's already been picked I'd have to say I like, 3 colors and LOTR and BTTF the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks