Trilogies comprised of THREE good movies?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Scott Weinberg, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I was scrawling my dumb little American Wedding review when I realized that I really liked all three entries.

This mundane thought led to further ones, and before too long I was trying to come up with trilogies in which all three of the films were worthwhile. Generally the original is the best of the three, but I'm looking for examples of trilogies of consistent quality across the board.

A few easy ones:

The original Star Wars trilogy - Sure, time has not been kind to Return of the Jedi, but I certainly wouldn't classify it as a BAD movie by any stretch. Good flick with some real blunders, but one I've always enjoyed.

The Indiana Jones trilogy - I could see how some might not like either (or both) of the sequels but not me! I'm a sucker for the Indy flicks. The second chapter has some shudderingly bad moments within, but I still love it!

The Back to the Future trilogy - Now don't get me wrong. You could combine both sequels into one film and it still wouldn't be half the film that the original is. But I'd argue that they're all very entertaining and well-made adventures.

The Godfather trilogy - OK, don't attack me! Obviously the first two are immortal classics. Obviously the third one doesn't measure up to those standards, but I've revisited it recently and I'd contend that it's a damn fine movie. Sofia aside...

The American Pie trilogy - Before you scoff, take a look around at most of the other "teen sex comedies" released every year. Then take a look around at most of the other "Rush Job Sequels" released every year. Then tell me that this trilogy doesn't deserve a hearty pat on the back.

The Terminator trilogy - I only "sorta liked" the third one, but it's certainly good enough for fans to take in. Part 2 is mega-flashy and wild. The original is drop-dead awesome.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy - I just have this bizarre suspicion that the third installment will be pretty good. [​IMG]

OK, I'll leave the rest to you guys...

(I'm kinda bummed that the third installment has prevented me from including the Spy Kids trilogy here.) [​IMG]

2. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Here's two off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others, but its late and I'm tired:

Romero's DEAD trilogy

EVIL DEAD trilogy

3. Claire Panke

Claire Panke Second Unit

Hehehehe...OK, since you asked:

Ray's Apu Trilogy: Pather Panchali, Aparajito, Apur Sansar

Kieslowski's Trois Couleurs trilogy: Blue Red & White

4. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Justin - Great picks! I did think of Romero's trilogy but wanted to save that for someone else. [​IMG] Somehow I forgot about Raimi's trilogy, but then again I've never been a real big fan of Army of Darkness. I would never call it a BAD movie, but it's one I've never been able to get rabid about like its fan base clearly does.

Claire - Thanks for the classy picks! I'm sure someone else will back you up on those.

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I've never been the world's biggest fan of AoD either, but I still love the film...so I'd probably put the Evil Dead Trilogy up there too.

Definitely the Dead flicks.

Godfather Part III...blasphemy I say, blasphemy! [​IMG] Okay, okay...it's not that bad of a film, but I certainly would take AoD over it any day [​IMG]

American Pie...After moderately liking the third installment, I'd probably put this up too. It's a hell of a lot better than any of the Porky's sequels.

6. Claire Panke

Claire Panke Second Unit

Scott...you took all the good ones in English already. [​IMG]

So here's another in French: Cocteau's Orpheus Trilogy (Blood of the Poet, Orpheus, The Testament of Orpheus)

Actually, like some films on your list, this trio is just a bit more than 2/3 of a good trilogy. The hat trick is hard to pull off.

Godfather, SW, Indy...all consist of two great movies compromised by one (more or less) stinker. I can't bear to watch Return of the Jedi or Temple of Doom anymore. However, I still throroughly enjoy all three BTTF movies.

BTW, I think ROTK will be wonderful...a great trilogy in *English* at last .

7. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

8. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

The Samurai trilogy with Toshiro Mifune is pretty good, although I seem to recall lots of scenes of people sobbing [​IMG]

I would put the Mad Max trilogy in the same vein as stuff like Star Wars: the third movie has problems but it's still pretty cool thanks to the action scenes.

9. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

The Man With No Name Trilogy

Die Hard Trilogy (the third one ain't great, but it's not any worse than Godfather 3 [​IMG] )

Mr. Hulot trilogy (Mr. Hulot's Holiday, Mon Oncle, Playtime)

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    John Ford's western trilogy with the following films:
    • Fort Apache
    • She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
    • Rio Grande

All three films are among my favorites in the western genre.

Crawdaddy

11. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

12. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...erm... Masaki ("Kwaidan") Kobayashi's nine-hour Human Condition ...
    ...at one time available on three image DVDs...

. . . [​IMG] . . .

13. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I agree with most of the English ones listed, except, the Evil Dead series, all 3 are STINKERS, IMHO. [​IMG]

I like the RAMBO TRILOGY as well.

14. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

What about the Jack Ryan trilogy, excluding the recent Sum of All Fears. I think THFRO is the best by far, but all three are entertaining to say the least.

Brandon

15. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

When is a trilogy not a trilogy? [​IMG] If you want to include the first 3 films of what later become longer series, then I'd add

James Bond
    The Thin Man
    Lethal Weapon
    The Road Pictures (Hope & Crosby)

16. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

17. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

Godfather III is highly underrated.

And, dammit, Spy Kids 3-D rocked!

Mark

18. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Well I have hope for Shanghai Dawn making the Shanghai series into a pretty good comedy trilogy. I definately enjoyed the first two and will be happy to get more of the same in a third one.

Unlike some people I also have enjoyed the first of the SW prequels. Not great like the OT, but if the third is on the same level as AOTC, I'll end up considering it a pretty good trilogy.

And by the end of the year we'll be able to judge The Matrix trilogy. Since I enjoyed the first two I'm guessing I'm going to like the third so that will give me another trilogy to add to my like list.

19. Bill J

Bill J Producer

The Godfather Trilogy - I really like Part III even though I think the first two were better.

Star Wars Trilogy - All great films even though Return of the Jedi is the weakest.

Three Colors Trilogy

Terminator Trilogy - T3 did not disappoint me.

Indiana Jones - I like all three even though Temple of Doom is cringe inducing at times.

20. Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan Supporting Actor

Robocop.