What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another new nice release from Kino is Singing Guns with Vaughn Monroe, Walter Brennan, and Ward Bond. I watched this on my projector last night. A great asset is the beautiful Ella Raines in color. The Trucolor in this Blu-ray is excellent.

850__singing_guns_06_blu-ray__blu-ray_.jpg
Ella Raines are the only two words you needed to say as I bought that plus the two Roy Rogers titles today.:)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Robert, I think you're going to be very happy with how the Roy Rogers movies look.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've been meaning to check out one or other if not both of these titles to compare Trucolor to the Cinecolor process as represented by the two Randolph Scott films Kino released.

I meant to respond to this forever ago and I apologize for the delay, but I wanted to mention that I saw the Randolph Scott films and wrote about them informally in my blind buys thread, but the most important thing is - they looked terrific and were very enjoyable. It was a slightly different sort of look to the color the the Roy Rogers films but they're all gorgeous. They're now some of my favorite discs.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I meant to respond to this forever ago and I apologize for the delay, but I wanted to mention that I saw the Randolph Scott films and wrote about them informally in my blind buys thread, but the most important thing is - they looked terrific and were very enjoyable. It was a slightly different sort of look to the color the the Roy Rogers films but they're all gorgeous. They're now some of my favorite discs.

yes, it's a different look, and I was happy to see both systems so well represented. To be honest I think for westerns and for the types of scenery typically involved, Trucolor was more successful, but more examples of both processes would be welcome, particularly when they can be mastered to the standards seen on these discs.

Even with their limitations and shortcomings, these are all well-made, entertaining productions. I liked Singing Guns the best of all, it was much better and more interesting than I thought it'd be.

I'd like to see more restorations like this, although it would seem that where only prints survive, the quality will not be able to match these. Compared to some of the examples I used to come across, these were like night and day. It was a huge revelation to see the potential of modern digital techniques to bring out the richness of imagery in the original photography, and I hope this work can continue.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'd like to see more restorations like this, although it would seem that where only prints survive, the quality will not be able to match these. Compared to some of the examples I used to come across, these were like night and day. It was a huge revelation to see the potential of modern digital techniques to bring out the richness of imagery in the original photography, and I hope this work can continue.
It is too bad that Kino said the RR's did not sell well. I doubt we will be seeing anymore of these anytime soon. :(

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
I wonder if the Rogers films would have sold better had Kino been able to crack the Wal-Mart market. In the WM's near me, I've noticed seemingly good sales on the Mill Creek Randolph Scott and Durango Kid sets and on various TV series like Rifleman, Gunsmoke and Daniel Boone. I've noticed stock dwindling and re-stocks showing up. Or, maybe this area (Ohio) is a better purchaser of old westerns.
Kino has been represented at Wal-Mart with DVDs of Good, Bad and Ugly, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot and Convoy showing up along others, Perhaps a DVD-only double feature of the 2 Rogers films would sell well, if they were able to produce such a item. I do notice that some Wal-Mart's only offer Blu-rays on current titles.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I was a little surprised and disappointed that this wasn't a better seller for Kino. I was hoping between the novelty of it being a new restoration, along with it being a title that appealed more to an audience that prefers physical over digital, that it might have done some good business. Hopefully over the long term people will get a chance to check it out.

I wasn't around when these films were originally in theaters, and I didn't grow up with them, but I am nonetheless finding the Roy Rogers titles (and the Randolph Scott ones as well!) to be delightfully entertaining, great escapist fun. They're easy watches that end up being very comforting to watch; perfect for settling down to relax with at the end of a long day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks