Trigger has been pulled: It's Axiom, baby!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by MichaelDDD, Oct 11, 2003.

1. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    It is done. Finally! *wipes sweat from brow*

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on an Axiom setup.[​IMG][​IMG]

B Stock, Boston Cherry.

M22ti
    VP-150
    QS8

Paired with the SVS PB2-Plus, I should have a nice, mid-range system that will last for quite a few years. [​IMG]

Dealing with Amie and Joe from Axiom was a real pleasure; I don't throw compliments around lightly, as I'm the first one to rant about non-existent or poor customer service. Axiom is truly first-rate! Emails returned promptly, questions answered fully, etc, etc. Good stuff. [​IMG]

Thanks to all who answered my 2,000 questions and helped me decide. [​IMG]

Now I've just got to hope that my Kenwood VR-409 can handle the VP-150 and QS8s 6-ohm load without a fuss. An upgraded receiver is coming...but not anytime soon.

Axiom setup + PB2-Plus = Broke Mike [​IMG]

2. Jerry Thomas

Jerry Thomas Stunt Coordinator

Very cool. I have decided to purchase from Axiom for my wife's bedroom after all the good things. Can't wait to try it out, and glad everyone seems to like these.

3. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Although I am looking at the Klipsch RF-35's, I still gaze upon the Axiom's. I am more of a horn tweeter guy, though... [​IMG]

4. MichaelDDD

Mike
    Aside from the basic "draw" b/t the M22s and the Ascend CBM-170 performance-wise, the next biggest factor was looks.

I think the M22 is a smart-looking speaker. Pretty, even. Whoa...I need to get out more often. [​IMG]

5. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Congrats Mike! Get home soon to enjoy them!

6. Jim AZ

Jim AZ Auditioning

Hey Mike, congratulations!

Let us know what you think after you've given it a test drive.

Jim

7. MichaelDDD

Mike
    Thank you, Curtis. And THANK YOU for all your patience with my 4,000 questions. LOL!!!

When I got off the phone w/Axiom this morning, I stood up and said out loud to no one in particular "I just spent Eleven Hundred Dollars on speakers...."

I almost fainted. My first car cost less than that. :b

But, I love my music and movies...probably the things that give me the most joy in this world. It's an investment that will last a long time.

Now I just have to decide how high to build the stands for the Axioms. I wish I could start on them now...but that's not possible. [​IMG]

Jim AZ: It'll be a little while...about a month or so. I'll need to find someone to let me hook them up to their stereo for break in and listening as my stuff is currently in storage.

8. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

I had the Kenwood VR507 (similar to yours) and while it is a decent receiver, there is a HUGE amount of potential left in the Axioms with a better AVR or separates. I was flat out amazed at the sound quality difference between the VR507 and the Denon 3803.

That AVR upgrade should definitely be next on your list. Congrats - you've got speakers/bass definitely covered. NICE choices.

9. MichaelDDD

Mike
    Thanks, Edward

I am mulling over what my next upgrade will be.

Allthough, if the 409 does not like the 6 ohm load of the center and surrounds, my mind may be made up for me. :b

My TV/monitor is a 32" Sony Trinitron. Flat top-to-bottom, but not left to right.

The flatness isn't really too much of a concern. What is the concern is that it does not have Component Inputs, so the progressive scan capability of my DVD player is lost.

I currently have the S-Video cable going straight to the TV from the DVD player. I must switch inputs at the TV when I want to switch from watching TV to watching a DVD or the VCR.

A bit of a PITA, to be sure. Televisions are kind of at a flux-point right now with HDTV standards kinda up in the air.

I'm also waiting on DLP technology to mature and come down in price a little. RPTVs can be had for comparably little money when compared to a quality CRT, but the narrow viewing angle of RPTVs turns me off.

Well, I got off-topic quick. [​IMG] My bad.

I'm eying the Denon 3803 right now. Another few months, it should come down in price a little. Hopefully my receiver doesn't fry by then.

10. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

Congrats Michael. You will love this combo. As I am sitting here right now listening to Gordon Goodwin's new DVD-A 'XXL' on my Axiom/SVS combo, I am still in awe of the performance you get for the value of this combo.

I think your Kenwood will be able to drive the Axioms fine (I have rarely heard of mass-market receivers not being able to drive the Axioms, even the 6-ohm models).

But, don't let that keep you from upgrading when the time is right. The Kenwood is fine, and I had been running my Axioms with a Kenwood 509, but when I switched to a H/K 520, things sounded so much sweeter. This upgrade shouldn't be imerative right off the bat, but you'll want to consider upgrading to Denon, H/K, etc. when the time is right. Happy listening. Oh, and just to paraphrase your comment above: "Axiom setup + PB2-Plus = Broke (But Happy) Mike". [​IMG]

11. MichaelDDD

Mike

Hahahah!!! Sweet. [​IMG] Thanks, Jeffrey.

Music was always my first love...I still have a cassette Sony Walkman from 1980...I think that's the year. It's in a box, somewhere. Movies are my other love (dont' tell my GF)and I've gotta have good sound. This is an investment for me. [​IMG]

Thanks for the vote of confidence re: the 6-ohm load. I'm more than a bit worried about that.

[rationalization] I'm hoping that the lack of bass frequencies (crossed over at 100Hz) going to the main/center/surrounds and their high efficiency ratings will keep the 409 from having to strain too much to power them.[/rationalization]

Assuming the 409 doesn't "let it's smoke out" during the first movie I play (it will be The Matrix! [​IMG]) I'll wait for prices to come down on the current $1K range receivers.

12. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    [​IMG] great choice. It may be more than you wanted to spend, but you would have been itching to upgrade sooner, so going with this setup should keep that grin on your face for a while before that itch comes in terms of speakers.

13. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

Look at it this way; If you keep the speakers for 10 years, that's $110 per year, or just a bit over $2.00 per week. What other kind of entertainment can you get for $2.00 and change per week? You got a good deal, didn't you?

As far as all of your questions, if you made better choices because of the answers you got, wasn't it worth it? If the people who answered your posts were bothered by you, they probably wouldn't be hanging around internet forums.

Enjoy your speakers. Let us know what you think of them when they're broken in. Let 'em play for a few days.

14. MichaelDDD

Mike
    "$2 per week" I like that. I may have some competition for my title of "King of Rationalization Excuses." [​IMG]

Hahahahah! I crack me up. [​IMG]

I'm active on a few different types of Internet Forums. Some are friendlier than other about answering lots of n00b questions. The folks here are awesome; not only answering my questions, but offering personal experiences and opinions as well. That's the way it's supposed to be. [​IMG] I help out where I can; it's nice to see others do as well.

I ask tons of questions before making a major purchase like this. Especially when it's something I'm going to have to live with for a long time, like speakers.

I'm sure I'll be tickled pink by their performance.

15. Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger Stunt Coordinator

Congratulations! Sounds like you did your homework, thought it through and went for it. You'll be more than happy for the long run because you put the time in at the front end. That's what these places are for.