Tried to get CBS hi-def feed from Dish

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Buckles, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Mike Buckles

Mike Buckles Agent

My local CBS affiliate in Omaha NE is not yet broadcasting HD, so I applied to Dish to get a waiver from the local station to get Dish's hd feed...and the stupid local network denied it!!! In earlier email to me, the tech manager at the station said that they "hoped" to be broadcasting HD sometime next year...(currently they are only sending the feed thru our local cable co)...I can understand them not wanting competition, but if they can't provide the hd signal, what do they care? According to a schedule I saw somewhere, my local channels are supposed to be up and running with HD broadcasting by June 2002...so my local cbs station should be doing more than "hoping" to be broadcasting in HD next year....at least, if they don't want to be fined by the FCC...I hope that if they apply for an extension thru the FCC for more time, that they are turned down, just like I was...oh, well, at least I still get HBO/Showtime in HD...Mike Buckles

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    I feel your pain. At least you can get the local CBS station. Even after spending $2000 on my Sat and antenna system I cant get a decent CBS signal. I am supposively in their grade A area too.

Gregg

3. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

I'd assume that you could receive CBS OTA with an antenna if you wanted to? If you couldn't get it OTA, then you may not need a waiver...

In Wilmington, NC we have a CBS affiliate, that also said they would deny a waiver, but according to Dish, I don't need one. The station power is too low (even the manager admitted that you need cable to get their signal), and they can't force me to use cable as the only means of reception...

The other alternative I'm exploring is setting up a dish on my "motor home", which I use to travel extensively through out the year. I've been led to believe (by those that have successfully done it) that it's quite easy to do this, and get all the networks too! Just connect the receiver to a phone line once in a while so it can upload. It may help to prepay for the year, or maybe have them draft your checking automatically...

I have visions of HD network dancing in my head!!

4. Mike Buckles

Mike Buckles Agent

Yes, I do get CBS ota...actually thru cable, but they are not broadcasting HD...which is why I think it's silly they denied the waiver...they cant give me the HD signal that CBS is providing. I actually took a hard look at my viewing habits, and I almost never watch CBS anyway, so no big loss, I guess.(But i might have watched a lot more if it was HD!)

5. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

I subscribe to a listserv for HD in the Carolinas...it's been very helpful... For example...

Just like me, I'm about 100% sure that you have a motor home and like to travel--and you'd like to have Dish while travelling. Of course that means you need access to a network package... Prepay for 1 year service, connect your receiver to a phone line once in a while, and everything is fine... if you get my drift...

It's also highly likely that if you don't have a motorhome, that you do have a vacation cabin somewhere in an area that can get a network package...

6. Mike Buckles

Mike Buckles Agent

Hmmm...I forgot about my motor home and vacation cabin! Not a bad idea....