What's new

Tried pointing the Sub port at the wall, sounded terrible (1 Viewer)

Mohamed_M

Agent
I read here in a thread that someone tried pointing dayton 10" sub port at the wall, and the overall sound was much nicer. I decided to try it when i got home yesterday and it sounded terrible!!. Very boomy and just all over the place. I wasnt succesfull in finding this "at the wall" theory in any other thread. Anyone has experience with this ?

Mohamed_M

Agent
A little more info:

When i rotated the sub to make it face the wall, the port was around a foot from the wall. The sub is placed in a corner of the room.

Mohamed_M

Agent
Ok, so i take it that no one has a clue of what i am talking about. Either that or there is a whole bunch of lazy people here.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
You get all impatient and name call? Sure way to get help.......:rolleyes:If I tell you it sounds great there are you gonna move it back or trust your own experience?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I dont think the point is to point the PORT into the corner, rather placing the sub in the corner. This is called CORNER LOADING, which increases the loudness by about +6dB (3 more dB per wall). This however will create boomier, muddier bass

And in the future, be more patient, and try to resist insulting the members who may try to help

Kevin G.

Second Unit
NO, NO,
He's right, I believe I've read threads on this, but a search is yielding no results. Someone said to point the "Bunghole" at a wall, I havent't tried it yet, but there's something...
I also can't remember how far away, sorry not much help...
Mohamed,
In the future, wait for a while for a response, this isn't a chat room with instant messaging.

Mohamed_M

Agent
Ok i am sorry i got impatient, but look, it worked and i got 3 reponses. BTW, i am not insulting anyone, i just said, you either do know about this topic and are too lazy to reply or you dont know. Both true. How is that an insult ?

Now back to topic. I have two of these subs in adjacent corners. I did an A/B test yesterday, one pointing at the wall and one pointing towards the side of the room at a couch. The one pointing at the couch sounded alot better and went louder before i could get it to distort. The one pointing to the wall reminded me of those cheap banpass boxes i heard back in my car audio days. Distorting, muddy, and worst of all that awefull ringing noise (not resonance). I might have to experiment with different distances from the wall and see if it makes a difference. Easier said than done though because the sub is placed under a corner table and is a pain to move.

Sebastian

Second Unit

I am willing to bet that this thread is dead now, just have a hunch.
open mouth, insert foot.

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator
Does corner loading really create boomier/muddier bass? I was under the impression it just increased output?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks