What's new

Tried complaining to BBB about Columbia... (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
But according to the email I received when I was out of town, they would not even return their calls. Here's what BBB said:

"Regarding the company you filed about
Columbia Tristar Home Video
10202 West Washington Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232-3195

Although we have tried to obtain a response to your complaint from the company in the hope of reaching a mutually acceptable resolution, they have ignored our requests. We are, therefore, closing our file.

Your unanswered complaint will become part of the information we report to the public on this company for the next three years. Also, should any government agency request our files on this company, your complaint will be included.

If you have worked out a settlement directly with this company, would you please send us a note by email at [email protected] or fax at (909) 825-6246 or by mail. Please tell us about the resolution and any other comments you may have. Your help in doing this is extremely important to ensure that our reports to the public on this company is accurate.

Thank you for using the Better Business Bureau."

I think it is time we all complained actively about the status quo at the Torch Lady's abode.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The nature of the complaint is threefold: pan and scan DVDs, TV DVDs with edited episodes, and nonexistent customer service.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Because Columbia is the only studio putting out pan and scan dvd's, of course................

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
Don't expect to get too far with a Sony company. They just don't care and are so big that they'll just do whatever they want.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Did you seriously do this?

The Better Business Bureau isn't going to accomplish anything with this. Sony would laugh it off.

Try contacting some of the major entertainment publications, Entertainment Weekly, Premiere. Have them do a story about it. You'll get more from that than the BBB.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Unless you were actually cheated out of money or experienced extremely unbusinesslike practices (outright lying, hidden fees, etc...) you are kind of wasting the BBB's time.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Calling a pan-and-scan edition of a Panavision film "special" is lying.

While I was at it, I complained on El Ratón as well.

Perhaps I won't get anywhere. But at least I have the satisfaction of not lying down and taking it.

Premiere and EW don't care.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Matthew,

I don't mean to rain on your parade.

I am sure that you did what you felt
would work best.

However....

Nothing will be done. Sony is too large a
corporation to be affected by anything you
attempt to do on your own.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It is not even a matter of whether anything will be done or not (it won't), the BBB is not the agency to go through for this type of complaint.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I always buy widescreen.

I don't buy the "Sony is too big" argument. Remember Willy Wonka? People did something just for one title, including HTF. This isn't just one title, it's a whole attitude.

I will try another snail-mail, but anyone else who wants to make a difference has to do so, too.

While I applaud your "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" stance, the BBB is not the right outlet for this. Unless Sony has engaged in illegal business practices, like others said you're wasting their time. If you're really serious, start a letter writing campaign or something.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Yeah, good for you for trying, but stuff like boycotting and getting support for that is probably more effective. All they care about is profit.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Sure they do. They care a lot more than the Better Business Bureau. They both review DVDs in every issue. I'm sure they would be interested in doing a story about this trend.

Or USA Today or some other widely read media publication. Someone here said they were contacting USA Today about it.

The BBB isn't all that respected in the business world since they don't have much power to get anything done. Complaining to them is like posting a nasty message on a message board. If you don't look and see what they say, you will never know what is being said.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor

Perhaps that part of the complaint could be addressed by the BBB. But if you have a defictive DVD don't you take it back to the store (Send it back if purchased online)?

Rino C

Agent
BBB is useless. Did you know that if you want BBB's seal of approval, all you have to do is pay them a fee? BBB is a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks