Tricks for dialing in 119 satellite

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Gilbert, Feb 14, 2001.

1. Scott Gilbert

Scott Gilbert Stunt Coordinator

I purchased the new mitz dh5000 direct TV HDTV satellite receiver and dish. I can peg the A satellite with 96 % I am now able to hit the B Satellite but the highest I have ever gotten in 40%. I have a guy who does all of our new construction prewires and installations coming by Thursday afternoon but this has been going on since last Tuesday and I want to get it done NOW [​IMG]
    Do you guys have any suggestions? I have moved the dish twice cut down a tree made sure everything is level and nice but I cant hit that stupid 119.

2. Roger Clark

Roger Clark Stunt Coordinator

Hi Scott, have you set the tilt to the setting that comes back from the receiver when you enter your zip code? If the tilt is wrong, you will have high strength on the 101 and something much less on the 119 bird.
    You didn't mention tilt in your post, so that's why I point this out. There are three settings with the 2/3 LNB oval dishes. Azmuth (East West rotation), elevation, and tilt (or rotation of the dish).
    Roger

3. Scott Gilbert

My settings are 37 degress elevation and 57 degress for the tilt. When I first set up and hit the A sattelite I can peg it in the 90s but the b satellite will either be nothing or like 10% if I start spining the disk around is when I will get a better signal form B but the highest I have gotten is 40%. I have made sure my post is perfetly plumb and tightened before I put the disk on it. I have taken the dish apart and reasemmbled to make sure everything is kosher. I have the guy coming tommorrow but I WANT IT NOW [​IMG]

4. Lee Antin

Lee Antin Auditioning

Scott,
    Make sure that you are using transponder #31 for the 119 sat. It will give you the highest signal strength.
    You have to make VERY, VERY small adjustments to be able to get the 119 in the 70's while keeping the 101 in the high 80's. Try to get the adjustment where the 101 is at least 80.
    The only real way to get both the 101 and the 119 sats in the 90's is to use two seperate 18" dishes along with the multi-switch that is supplied with the oval dish.
    This is the setup I run and get 95+ on both the 101 and the 119. The additional benefit to running two dishes is better rain fade resistance.
    If the two dish setup appeals to you, you can get two cheap Single LNB dishes (you don't even need the LNB) and use the two Dual LNB's that are supplied in the oval dish kit.
    You local sat. installer usually has extra dishes and you might be able to get a pair for $50, especially if you tell him you don't need the LNB.
    Lee

5. Scott Gilbert

That's funny I was just thinking of two dishes. Can I use the new dish as one and my old Sony as the other? I would assume the lnbs are basically the same for both sats? but I could change the new lnb to the old dish? So if I used two dishes I would just figure out the new elevation for the 119 degrees and not concern my self with tilt?

6. Roger Clark

Well, maybe in VA or NY the signal is more difficult to pull in. With my oval dish here in South Florida, I get 97% on 101 and 89% on 119.
    Still, as Lee said, two dishes would certainly be more efficient since you can aim at each sat without compromising for the other.
    Roger

7. Lee Antin

Lee Antin Auditioning

Scott,
    You can use any DBS dish. I have an RCA for my 101, A Sony for my 119 and get this...A Hughes for my DISH 61.5. I have three different dishes. I have the DTC100 and the DISH 6000 in my HT.
    When you already have the 101 dish up it is very easy to find the 119 because you have a reference point with the 101. Plus you can really fine tune the 119 without disturbing the 101.
    I PRAY that DirecTV doesn't add good progeamming to the 110 sat. Then I would have 4 dishes in the front of my house! It's bad enough with 3. People must think I am a CIA listening post or something.
    Florida does get a better signal than the Northeast due I believe to the way the satellites are positioned above the earth.
    Lee

8. Scott Gilbert

Well its been raining here so I haven't gotten to play with the dish. But what I am planing on doing is getting another dual line standard dish aiming it at the 101 satellite and then just adjusting it up till it hits the 119 satellite and have the old Sony satellite hitting the 101 and then plug it into the new distribution box that came with the oblong dish.
    I can not find a place that shows the elevation for the 119 but since my elevation is 37 degrees on the 101 I would assume that the elevation would be 55 degrees for the 119 satellite. Please correct me if I missed anything.
    Scott

9. Roger Clark

Scott,
    ===========================
    I can not find a place that shows the elevation for the 119 but since my elevation is 37 degrees on the 101 I would assume that the elevation would be 55 degrees for the 119 satellite. Please correct me if I missed anything.
    ===========================
    Yes, you have missed something. The elevation will be very close to that of the 101 sat. You will have to rotate the new dish further west to get the 119 sat, that's azimuth, not elevation. If you know where the 101 sat is, you just rotate 18 degrees west with the new dish and then go through the fine adjustments to dial it in. I would expect the 119 sat to be very close to the same elevation, just slightly more or less (not sure which).
    Roger

10. Lee Antin

Lee Antin Auditioning

I just looked out my window at My two 18" dish setup. The 119 dish is about 3 degrees lower than the 101.
    Hope this helps,
    Lee

11. Cathy_Gut

Cathy_Gut Auditioning

the 119 is 6* lower and 18* more westward (looking at mine with a pair of binoculars)

12. Scott Gilbert

Thanks for all your help I finally got the 119 in the high 80s I am now enjoying HDTV HBO and there Direct TV HDTV loop.