What's new

Tributes To Your Favorite Classic TV Stars (1 Viewer)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Great captures and vid clips, Neal!

Good ol' Efrem! When I first discovered that collecting favorite old TV shows on home video was possible on a small but growing scale (in the '80s), I knew that 77 Sunset Strip had to be a priority. We watched the series first run as a family (along with all the other WB detective and western series of that era), and my eldest brother absolutely loved 77 Sunset Strip! Later, The FBI became appointment viewing for my dad and me. So, Efrem Zimbalist Jr. was a familiar and welcome presence in our world, where he personified the urbane, sophisticated action star hero.

Band of Angels, a big budget prestige production in 1957, was Efrem's first feature film as a WB contract player in the twilight era of the seven year contract for up and coming actors. He followed that with another 9 big screen movies for Jack Warner, with Wait Until Dark coming later. With a big push-on for WB TV productions under an exclusive development deal for the ABC network, he soon found himself busier in the TV world, and 77 Sunset Strip quickly became a top rated show. 173 episodes of 77, and 241 of The FBI! And many, many other credits along the way.

He was the son of a renowned Russian born concert violinist, the 'senior' who he honored for his whole life and for whom he was his namesake, and a famous Romanian born opera singer. He grew up surrounded by NYC high society and performing arts. People like Arturo Toscanini, Elmer Berstein, Garson Kanin and Dimitri Tiomkin were family friends he grew up with as household guests of his parents. As a matter of fact, the renowned Oscar winning composer Dimitri Tiomkin (Red River, High Noon, Giant, The Alamo, etc.) made a cameo appearance in 77 Sunset Strip season one, Honey From the Bee...from which I took these screen caps...I believe that Dimitri Tiomkin was on the WB lot scoring the music for Howard Hawks/John Wayne/Dean Martin's Rio Bravo at the time..
A 77 3.JPG
A 77 4.JPG A 77 2.JPG
A 77 9.JPG
A 77 15.JPG
A 77 13.JPG

And from The FBI...
FBI 21.JPG

FBI 141.JPG

FBI 153.JPG
FBI 169.JPG

FBI 61.JPG

FBI 77.JPG

You know what I respect about him above all? Even though Efrem Zimbalist Jr. came from wealth and privilege, he didn't pull any strings to get out of front line action in WW2...he was a lieutenant in a rifle company of the 9th US Army infantry regiment...fighting in the ghastly and bloody battle of the Huertgenwald forest on the German frontier of the winter war of 1944-45, he survived wounds and was awarded the Bronze Star for Valor. And his show-biz career? He started that as an NBC page at 30 Rock after the war.

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Thank you Randall for your always succinct historical overviews. Your tribute to Efrem Zimbalist Jr. does him proud.

As you know I realized November the 30th was his birthdate only one day prior to that, so I especially appreciate your post.

As I was doing a crash course reading his bio learning about Mr. Zimbalist, I noticed something in his long list of film credits that astounded me. At IMDb his first acting credit was Mr. and Mrs. North (1946) and his last was The Delivery (2008). I had to get a calculator to double check my arithmetic. I was correct. A career that spanned 62 years! Just incredible!

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Great captures and vid clips, Neal!

Good ol' Efrem! When I first discovered that collecting favorite old TV shows on home video was possible on a small but growing scale (in the '80s), I knew that 77 Sunset Strip had to be a priority. We watched the series first run as a family (along with all the other WB detective and western series of that era), and my eldest brother absolutely loved 77 Sunset Strip! Later, The FBI became appointment viewing for my dad and me. So, Efrem Zimbalist Jr. was a familiar and welcome presence in our world, where he personified the urbane, sophisticated action star hero.

Band of Angels, a big budget prestige production in 1957, was Efrem's first feature film as a WB contract player in the twilight era of the seven year contract for up and coming actors. He followed that with another 9 big screen movies for Jack Warner, with Wait Until Dark coming later. With a big push-on for WB TV productions under an exclusive development deal for the ABC network, he soon found himself busier in the TV world, and 77 Sunset Strip quickly became a top rated show. 173 episodes of 77, and 241 of The FBI! And many, many other credits along the way.

He was the son of a renowned Russian born concert violinist, the 'senior' who he honored for his whole life and for whom he was his namesake, and a famous Romanian born opera singer. He grew up surrounded by NYC high society and performing arts. People like Arturo Toscanini, Elmer Berstein, Garson Kanin and Dimitri Tiomkin were family friends he grew up with as household guests of his parents. As a matter of fact, the renowned Oscar winning composer Dimitri Tiomkin (Red River, High Noon, Giant, The Alamo, etc.) made a cameo appearance in 77 Sunset Strip season one, Honey From the Bee...from which I took these screen caps...I believe that Dimitri Tiomkin was on the WB lot scoring the music for Howard Hawks/John Wayne/Dean Martin's Rio Bravo at the time..
View attachment 164866
View attachment 164868 View attachment 164875
View attachment 164871
View attachment 164876
View attachment 164877

And from The FBI...
View attachment 164892
View attachment 164893
View attachment 164887 View attachment 164888
View attachment 164889
View attachment 164890

You know what I respect about him above all? Even though Efrem Zimbalist Jr. came from wealth and privilege, he didn't pull any strings to get out of front line action in WW2...he was a lieutenant in a rifle company of the 9th US Army infantry regiment...fighting in the ghastly and bloody battle of the Huertgenwald forest on the German frontier of the winter war of 1944-45, he survived wounds and was awarded the Bronze Star for Valor. And his show-biz career? He started that as an NBC page at 30 Rock after the war.

FBI Pictures from the season 5 “Conspiracy of Corruption” and the season 6 “The Condemned” as far I can spot them.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper

I just finished off the fifth season of The FBI and Inspector Erskine goes undercover five times:
see “Target of Interest”, “The Challenge”, “Deadly Reunion”, “The Dealer”, “Deadfall”.
My favorite undercover parts include “Target of Interest” and “Deadfall” in both he plays a bogus husband with intensity.

Pictures from “Target of Interest” featuring a lovely couple.

target_01.jpg
target_02.jpg
target_03.jpg
target_04.jpg

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

I just finished off the fifth season of The FBI and Inspector Erskine goes undercover five times:
see “Target of Interest”, “The Challenge”, “Deadly Reunion”, “The Dealer”, “Deadfall”.
My favorite undercover parts include “Target of Interest” and “Deadfall” in both he plays a bogus husband with intensity.

Pictures from “Target of Interest” featuring a lovely couple.

View attachment 165084 View attachment 165085 View attachment 165086 View attachment 165087
John that's an amazing coincidence! You can ask Randall and Jeff. I was trying to decide between Target of Interest and Act of Violence. I love Diane Baker (who doesn't), but I chose Act of Violence for two reasons. I always enjoy anything with Burt Reynolds and the print looked pristine which I noticed sometimes varys with episodes of the The F.B.I. Btw, Miss Baker will be celebrating her 85th birthday in less than three months. Very nice caps!!

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
John that's an amazing coincidence! You can ask Randall and Jeff. I was trying to decide between Target of Interest and Act of Violence. I love Diane Baker (who doesn't), but I chose Act of Violence for two reasons. I always enjoy anything with Burt Reynolds and the print looked pristine which I noticed sometimes varys with episodes of the The F.B.I. Btw, Miss Baker will be celebrating her 85th birthday in less than three months. Very nice caps!!

Oddly enough, when ABC promoted Dan August with a short film, they recycled footages from “Act of Violence”.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Happy Birthday Donna Mills (December 11, 1940)

Today is Donna Mills 82nd birthday. Most interesting to me about this woman is that her career began rather late in life at age 26 and that she hasn’t stopped working since. That’s over 5 decades! Perhaps best known for her roles in the soap opera Knots Landing and feature film Play Misty for Me her career in classic television is significant. Read more at Wikipedia.

Throughout the day and perhaps beyond a number of us will be posting tributes to this beautiful woman and fine actress. As always feel free to contribute anything of your choosing.

Here’s a couple of endearing interviews with Ms. Mills from Bobbie Wygant in 1971 to her complete interview from the acclaimed PBS series Pioneers of Television back in 2013.​

TV Guide - The Good Life.jpg

A documentary series focusing on the legends that helped launched TV and left lasting impression on sitcoms, talk shows, variety shows and game shows in television's early years.

S03E02 Primetime Soaps (Jan.22.2013)
Stars Ryan Seacrest (voice) Larry Hagman Charlene Tilton

Trace the arc of nighttime soaps, from "Peyton Place" to "Knots Landing."​

Donna_Mills reduce.jpg

... My posts to be continued later today. Your posts are welcome at anytime! ...​

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
In honor of Donna Mills birthday, here's a repost review of one of her many '70s TV appearances, before she hit it big with the prime time soap Knot's Landing:

The Six Million Dollar Man
2.12 “The Cross-Country Kidnap”
OSI computer programmer Liza Leitman (lovely Donna Mills), at risk of being kidnapped as she is the lone designer of a powerful security program, is dead set on competing in a series of Olympic horse racing trials. She refuses to have any of Oscar Goldman's 'dwarfs' shadowing her, so Oscar sends manly bionic badass Steve Austin (eminently likable and down-to-earth Lee Majors) as her sole bodyguard. Cue romantic sparring, sneaky subterfuge and plenty of fun scenes of Col. Austin doing his bionic thing, such as tossing hay bales at snipers, jumping over hurdles and other obstacles, and heaving computer banks at baddies, in tune to the show's patented funky '70s soundtrack. Aside from striking blond Ms. Mills, who looks great in her tight white jodhpurs, we also get Tab Hunter, Frank Aletter and John Gabriel as the would-be-kidnappers, and Ben Wright as her stern trainer. Quite entertaining, if not exactly taxing on the little grey cells.

vlcsnap-2022-12-02-18h54m20s509.png

vlcsnap-2022-12-02-18h46m36s766.png

vlcsnap-2022-12-02-18h48m49s313.png

vlcsnap-2022-12-02-18h55m02s003.png

vlcsnap-2022-12-02-18h50m10s105.png

vlcsnap-2022-12-02-18h53m37s964.png

vlcsnap-2022-12-02-18h53m51s386.png

vlcsnap-2022-12-02-18h51m02s948.png

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
THE FBI SEASON 7

Episode #17

“The Break-Up”
written by Ed Waters
directed by Virgil W. Vogel
cinematography by William W. Spencer
guests: Donna Mills, Charles Cioffi, Jerry Ayres, Byron Mabe, Richard Roat, Lauren Gilbert, Carolyn Lee Eddy, Colby Chester, Frank Jamus, Garrison True, Brent Davis, Don Furneaux, Eric Sinclair

BANK ROBBERY

It’s an unusual, fun and cynical young couple (Jerry Ayres/Donna Mills) of bank robbers drama and the novelty is that it includes a woman—disguised as a man during the first job—but acts as a fancy prima donna who enjoys luxury and double-crosses her own husband. Three scenes (the federal car entering the lumber company, Ward informing Erskine about the criminal file of Todd Rawson over the phone, the federal car stopping cold next to the big shot outside his mansion while Erskine points his gun at him) from that episode were used in the 1972 ABC Fall Preview. The cast of the fence consists of Byron Mabe as the lumber blue collar middle man and Charles Cioffi as the playboy big shot living in a hired mansion who poses as a wealthy man. The action scenes (the escape from the bank, the escape from the lumber factory) are tracked with Duane Tatro’s “Incident in the Desert”.

Updates: It’s one of the rare season 7 focused on a strong-willed woman criminal along with “The Deadly Species”, guest starring Penny Fuller.

QM actors notes: Donna Mills guests in some QM series like Dan August, The FBI (2), Cannon, Barnaby Jones, Banyon.

Returning guest actors: Donna Mills (the season 6 “The Hitchhiker”), Jerry Ayres (the season 6 “Eye of the Needle”), Richard Roat (the season 6 “Eye of the Needle”), Lauren Gilbert (the season 5 “Journey Into Night”), Frank Jamus (the season 6 “The Deadly Pact”), Garrison True (the season 7 “Superstition Rock”).

The FBI | Bonnie and Clyde style bank robbery scene.

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

The cases of well-respected neurosurgeon Dr. David Craig and his two young charges. The Bold Ones is the umbrella title for several television series. It was produced by Universal Television and broadcast on NBC from 1969 to 1973. It was a wheel format series, an NBC programming approach also used by that network in series such as The Name of the Game and the NBC Mystery Movie.​

Dr. Martin Cohen (Robert Walden) is one busy guy falling for virgin Nurse Valerie DeMarco (Donna Mills) trying to pry her away from a Lesbian relationship. Then there’s Dianelle Tate (Jo Ann Harris) a suicidal drug-addict who is falling in love with him. What more could anyone want than a really young Donna Mills and an even younger Jo Ann Harris ? A series known for tackling the tough issues of the day. Definitely ahead of it’s time “classic tv.”​

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

The film debut of 27 year-old Donna Mills and one of my most memorable. In her role as Alice Keenan, Ms. Mills was my very first heartthrob as a teen. With a stunning all-star cast and that it took place right here in Manhattan added to it’s intensity. I never was fond of the NYC subway system and after watching this flick I never went back! If you haven’t seen this motion picture you are in for a treat. It is very simply a must see!​

The Incident (1967)-1.jpg
The Incident (1967)-7.jpg
The Incident (1967)-8.jpg
The Incident (1967)-9.jpg
The Incident (1967)-10.jpg
The Incident (1967)-15.jpg
The Incident (1967)-16.jpg
The Incident (1967)-17.jpg
The Incident (1967)-19.jpg
The Incident (1967)-20.jpg
The Incident (1967)-22.jpg
The Incident (1967)-23.jpg
The Incident (1967)-25.jpg
The Incident (1967)-32.jpg
The Incident (1967)-34.jpg
The Incident (1967)-36.jpg
The Incident (1967)-37.jpg
The Incident (1967)-39.jpg

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

The life of a disc jockey is turned upside down after a romantic encounter with an obsessed fan. Ok, so Donna Mills didn’t always make the best choices in the roles she played, however this film was immensely popular in it’s day and probably paid lots of bills! Sure scared the crap outta me. I remember watching it the first time thinking, “please don’t kill Tobie, please, please” :)

Play Misty for Me (1971)-1.jpg
Play Misty for Me (1971)-2.jpg
Play Misty for Me (1971)-7.jpg
Play Misty for Me (1971)-9.jpg
Play Misty for Me (1971)-10.jpg
Play Misty for Me (1971)-21.jpg
Play Misty for Me (1971)-22.jpg
Play Misty for Me (1971)-23.jpg
Play Misty for Me (1971)-25.jpg
Play Misty for Me (1971)-29.jpg
Play Misty for Me (1971)-30.jpg
Play Misty for Me (1971)-33.jpg
Play Misty for Me (1971)-34.jpg
Play Misty for Me (1971)-35.jpg
Play Misty for Me (1971)-36.jpg
Play Misty for Me (1971)-37.jpg
Play Misty for Me (1971)-39.jpg
Play Misty for Me (1971)-40.jpg
Play Misty for Me (1971)-41.jpg
Play Misty for Me (1971)-42.jpg

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Classic anthology series, which details the personal lives of the men and women of the Los Angeles Police Department. The stories ranged from highly dramatic to extremely funny. Even though there weren't any real regulars, Don Meredith and Tony LoBianco were often seen throughout the run of the show as detectives Bert Jameson and Tony Calabrese respectively.​

Detectives Bert Jameson (Don Meredith) and Tony Calabrese (Tony Lo Bianco) try to catch an extortionist who leaves remote-control bombs at his targets. Meanwhile Tony’s marriage is being threatened by his affair with Betty Johnson (Donna Mills).​

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Thanks to Jeff Flugel for his repost and to John Hopper who I gave very little notice, for his two fine FBI posts!!

Once again we’ve given our thanks through a tribute to another classic television icon. Today we honored the beautiful, blue-eyed Donna Mills who has brought us so much joy over the years.

Upcoming News
In January of 2023 we have three EPIC tributes in the works. If you are interested in participating, please send me a pm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lamywaby
Recent bookmarks