Tribute to Brunettes

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
A new Yvonne De Carlo Blu-ray disc is coming, and this time it's one of her "exotic" movies, Buccaneer's Girl. Although Universal later gave her good roles in gritty, dramatic movies like Brute Force and Criss Cross, Yvonne's Universal period is remembered mainly for her work in escapist adventures like Slave Girl and The Desert Hawk, where she was frequently hampered by lack-lustre leading men.

YDC15.jpg

She was a strikingly good-looking woman and her publicity photos equal those of any of her Hollywood contemporaries.

YDC1.jpg

After a fruitful period in the mid 1950s with strong leading men and very capable directors - Band Of Angels must have been very daring for its time - Yvonne entered television and became a fixture on The Munsters, which is how a second audience remembers her.

YDC4.jpg

She wrote an autobiography which apparently was very indiscreet and new copies are now hard to find. I'm still trying to find one!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yesterday I watched Beat The Devil in which a key supporting role is played by a young Gina Lollobrigida. She's good in this film - the whole cast is good - but she's so gorgeous, it would have been more credible if she had played the trophy wife of someone like Cary Grant instead of Humphrey Bogart who looked old and tired.

Gina 3.jpg

Beat The Devil was her first English language movie but Gina was already by that time famous as an exceptionally good-looking woman whose face and figure appeared frequently on magazine covers.

Gina 1.jpg

She sustained her film career until around 1970 when she effectively re-invented herself and began a second career as painter, sculptor, maker of TV documentaries and emissary of worthy causes.

Gina 2.jpg

I'd like to see more recognition of the high quality of her work in films like the classic French swashbuckler Fanfan Le Tulip and particularly La Loi (The Law) where, directed by blacklisted and brilliant Jules Dassin, she played a teenage girl about half her own age and managed to pull it off.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Beat The Devil is one of the TT titles I ordered- still waiting on the shipment. Looking forward to watching it.
It was the first time I'd seen Beat The Devil for a long time. I found elements in it I'd never noticed before and I now feel it's a much better film that I'd previously recognized. I think it's best to approach it as a wry crime comedy.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Not sure if she has featured in this thread, but Maggie Siff (Billions) is my contemporary, absolute number 1.
We all have different tastes and, frankly, I can't see what you see in her. I have found one photo . . .

Maggie Siff.jpg

. . . which does present her in a way I find interesting but I don't believe this is a true representation of her normal persona. If anyone can prove me wrong, please do so.

Reactions: Keith Cobby

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
A week or so ago we lost Linda Cristal, the Argentinian born actress who began her film career in Mexico.

Linda Cristal 7.jpg

She moved to Hollywood in the late 1950s and made three films in 1958 one of which was the notorious The Fiend Who Walked The West. The films were modest productions but Linda Cristal's work in them was admired.

Linda Cristal 17.jpg

Although I saw her two big Western movies The Alamo and Two Rode Together when they were released, the first time I really noticed Linda Cristal was in Mr. Majestyk where she played an independent, self-sufficient woman superbly.

Linda Cristal 4.jpg

I never saw her big television series The High Chaparral which I now very much regret, nor any of her other work in television which kept her busy from the mid '70s until she stopped working.

Linda Cristal 2.jpg

I hope Universal soon release The Perfect Furlough on Blu-ray disc. Linda Cristal deserves high definition and she deserves to be remembered.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I never saw her big television series The High Chaparral which I now very much regret, nor any of her other work in television which kept her busy from the mid '70s until she stopped working.
You definitely should remedy that, Robin...all four seasons of The High Chaparral have been released on DVD with nice transfers, and Linda Cristal is very good in them. She certainly was a stunner.

And speaking of The Perfect Furlough:

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Juliette Greco died a few days ago and it was this forum which alerted me to the sad news.

Juliet Greco 5.jpg

She was and remains an interesting person because of that major contradiction in her life and career. How and why a singer and actress who personified left bank Bohemianism entered into a relationship with Darryl F. Zanuck with whom she would seem to have had nothing in common is still, to me at least, a mystery.

I can't imagine that Disney will show any interest in Juliette Greco, but I'd love to have Crack in The Mirror on a good disc.

Reactions: Osato

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
attlasrex