What's new

Tribute to Blondes (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
A week or so ago I re-watched On Dangerous Ground, and there in a small role at the beginning of the film was Cleo Moore. I'd forgotten she was in the film and I was impressed by her playing which was far more subtle than her performances in the B features she is remembered for.

Cleo Moore.jpg

Cleo Moore was normally cast for her curvaceous shape and she quickly became disillusioned with the movie business which left while still in her twenties.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Show business stars learn to put on a "painted smile" and although most do it well, it's usually obviously artificial. Lana Turner, the ultra-professional film star, shows a painted smile in several of her publicity photos, but Lana had a natural smile as well . . . .

Lana Turner.jpg

. . . . and it was the best natural smile in show business.

506.jpg

I like Lana Turner but I can't remember her smiling like this in any of her films.

With Enzo Pinza.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Although she had a long career in television, June Vincent is forgotten by most film-lovers except those who love crime stories and film noir. For them, her role in Black Angel has made her immortal.

June Vincent 4.jpg

Black Angel is a film that could advantageously be remade in today's less censored climate.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
A thread about blondes absolutely must include at least one picture of Carole Landis.

43a.jpg

I like Carole Landis and I'm pleased that, with several of her movies now available on disc, in recent years her prestige amongst film fans has risen considerably.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Kim Novak is long overdue in this thread. Famously, she was the last big star created by the old studio system but she quickly showed that on screen she had a unique persona that no studio artifice could manufacture.

361.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
It is a grim truth that some actresses who achieved stardom in Hollywood came to a sad end. Few however fell from grace as horrifically as Barbara Payton or as quickly.

Barbara Payton 3.jpg

Her tragedy is also our loss because she showed in her few films that she was a competent actress. In Only The Valiant she was adequate although her role gave her little to work with while in Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye she was really good in a more difficult part.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The Warner Archive splendid Blu-ray disc of The Prize reminded me that Elke Sommer was a reliable and competent actress as well as being a knock-out good-looking blonde.

68.jpg

I hope more of her films become available in high definition.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Janet Leigh is immortal and will remain so. She had a long and successful career but most notably she appeared in four classic films that will never be forgotten: Scaramouche, Touch Of Evil, Psycho and The Manchurian Candidate. Very few actresses, including those more famous than Janet Leigh and who made headlines routinely and sold innumerable magazines, can boast of being in four classic movies.

Janet Leigh.jpg

This picture is a publicity still for Jet Pilot, one of Janet Leigh's lesser films.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
In Cool Hand Luke, woman are minor characters and have little screen time. The one who made a very memorable impression within minutes was Joy Harmon.

Joy Harmon 2.jpg

She played the bounteous blonde washing the car. Sadly, she was given few other roles in movies.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
In Cool Hand Luke, woman are minor characters and have little screen time. The one who made a very memorable impression within minutes was Joy Harmon.

View attachment 56126

She played the bounteous blonde washing the car. Sadly, she was given few other roles in movies.

"Wiping 'em off here, boss!"
"Taking 'em off here, boss!"

Classic.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Show business stars learn to put on a "painted smile" and although most do it well, it's usually obviously artificial. Lana Turner, the ultra-professional film star, shows a painted smile in several of her publicity photos, but Lana had a natural smile as well . . . .

View attachment 54082

I like Lana Turner but I can't remember her smiling like this in any of her films.

Lana Turner had a certain nickname for Mickey Rooney that wasn't quite "Andy Hardy".......

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Martha Hyer wasn't always a blonde. She started out as a redhead and remained that way until the early 1950s when she went blonde for Lucky Me and Sabrina.

37.jpg

I live in hopes that one day Mister Cory and The Big Fisherman will be released on high quality discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks