Tribute Song Collections

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeAW, Dec 30, 2001.

1. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

A whole cottage industry has arisen, of these band tribute collections. I don't know about you, but most of these are real dogs. I just picked up this Sun Records music collection.

What upsets me about this one, is it includes songs from a few "new" bands...Matchbox 20, Live, Kid Rock...that have ABSOLUTELY NO connection to what the music subject is, and they just go ahead and include a lame, straight cover, that isn't even an homage to the Sun Music Sound. What's up with that? I don't get it.

I know why they included the bands...to get cross over music sales, where Old Farts like Jeff Beck, Bryan Ferry, Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Tom Petty, Van Morrison, Eric Clapton don't seem to draw flies these days.

But these new bands just don't have a clue...you might as well be listening to a rejected song than a reverential song styling...which I believe was the whole purpose to the project.

The Old Farts, meanwhile, kick butt...McCartney finally relaxes and stops screaming, as he actually sings a great version of "That's All Right", Elton John takes off with "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On", Clapton surprises us with the Impressions as vocal backup on "Just Walkin' In The Rain". Bryan Ferry forsakes his trademark warbling song styling, for a straight version of "Don't Be Cruel". Dylan, Tom Petty, Johnny Halliday, and Van Morrison follow suit with faithful, reverential interpretations of their own.

The highlight is Jimmy Page and Robert Plant a blistering and astoundingly tight as it could be played, "My Bucket's Got A Hole In It". It sounds like they are a new group audtioning for a record contract, as opposed to singing a tribute or interpreting...just magnificent!

The only other tribute CD that I have picked up is the one on the Carpenters. This Sun Records tribute is mainly a bust, due to the "new" groups who ruin it and reveal they have no music roots!

2. James RD

James RD Supporting Actor

I agree, most of these are dogs. I have only one: " Return of the Grievous Angel / a tribute to Gram Parsons". This is excellent from top to bottom. Emmylou Harris' involvement and Parsons relative obscurity may have saved this one.

3. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

James, I love Gram Parsons...very underrated.

The most self-indulgent one, I know of, was the tribute commissioned and I believe produced by Phil Collins, to himself, when he went to his new label...what an egomaniac!

4. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

Tribute albums sure have exploded on the market -- and not only the traditional all-star affairs. Every two bit basement 'record company' seems to be looking for instant profits through tribute albums to big name bands. Usually performed by the no-name acts signed to that label. And usually plastered with a big "Please File with (Band Name Here) So That We Can Cash In On Their Rabid and Gullible Fanbase" sticker! There is some really BAD stuff out there!
    Some of the cello stuff I've heard is okay, like Apocalyptica and, marginally, the Radiohead album of cello covers.
    As for fullfledged bands doing covers -- I think the only tribute album I've heard in the last five years that I didn't want to instantly toss out the window was the Rush tribute Working Man.
    And didn't Gene Simmons also pull a Phil Collins with the 'Kiss My Ass album?

5. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

For every good tribute collection, there are 9 or 10 bad ones. You can find these at your local used CD shop, located in the "Please take these for free" section:

Encomium: Led Zeppelin Tribute

Stone Free: Jimi Hendrix Tribute

The worst CD I have ever heard is the Guns 'N Roses tribute called Appetite For Reconstruction. The songs were covered by some not-too-great artists and then remixed electronically to give a techno flavor. Absolutely dreadful.

Of course, the Sun Records one is quite good, one of my favorite CDs from this year.

6. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Greg, was your take on the Sun Records tribute the same as mine or different ?

7. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Mike,

I like most of the album. The presence of newer bands in and of itself doesn't bother me, but some of their tracks do. I'm not familiar with the original "Drinkin' Wine (Spo-Dee-O-Dee)" but I like The Howling Diablo's version. However, I think it would have been just fine without the Kid Rock rap in the middle of it. And I've grown to like the matchbox 20 version of "Lonely Weekend" with subsequent listens; I don't skip over it. I think the worst thing that can be said about Live's cover of "I Walk The Line" is that it is boring and unneeded, but, from the reviews I've read of their albums, that seems to be the direction most of Live's music takes.

I don't know the production history of the album, so I can't say whether or not those artists were thrown on to drum up the younger buyers. Wouldn't surprise me though. I'm a fan of both Sheryl Crow and Chris Isaak and I enjoy both of the tracks they turned in on the tribute as well.

My favorite track on there is the Chrissie Hynde / Jeff Beck collaboration on Mystery Train. And I was pleasantly surprised by the Page / Plant track as well.

I also liked some of the tracks off the Kiss My Ass tribute, although I don't own it. I'm not a fan of Garth Brooks, but liked his take on Hard Luck Woman. And I really, really like Anthrax's version of She.