Tribute Bands

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jason Pancake, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Jason Pancake

Jason Pancake Stunt Coordinator

Last night my friends, my brother and I went to see the Guns and Roses coverband "Appetite for Destuction" in Athens, Ga. They absolutely rocked! They not only play all of the best songs but they dress EXACTLY like the band members. They have ALL of their mannerisms down too. I was not able to check out GnR live but this is the next best thing. I can't imagine the real GnR being more "GnR" than these guys. Check out the website for pics, audio clips and videos.

http://www.notquitegnr.com

Anyone else have the opportunity to check them out?

Any other amazing tribute bands out there that go to this extreme to replicate the performances of the band they are paying tribute to?

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

A friend of mine use to be in the Ramonas.... female Ramones tribute band started many years ago. AC DShe-esque.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

My all-time favorite experience was listening to a tribute band in a club back in 1986, called "1964." For nearly two hours, I could believe I was looking at The Beatles.

We have quite a few tribute bands in the L.A. area, with Wild Child playing The Doors almost every week in some club.

4. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Up here in the cold, frosty air of Montreal, we get frequent visits from OVER THE GARDEN WALL, an early Genesis tribute band that, I believe, has released some albums. They're from around here (early Genesis first made inroads in N. America in Montreal) and regularly tour the UK.

5. Corbin Stirn

Corbin Stirn Second Unit

Ah, 1964[​IMG]. What a great year.......Oh. Were we talking about the BAND?[​IMG] A friend of mine is a HUGE Beatle's fan....and we went to see them at The county fair here back in 94?95? I was unaware of a lot of the Beatles early stuff at that time, but after seeing 1964, I went out and bought all the albums I was missing. They are FANTASTIC in concert.....if you haven't seen them, and even if you don't like the Beatles, go see them. They're great. Plus they helped a 'young un' like myself become a complete fan of their stuff.

6. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I got a chance to see Bjorn Again, an ABBA tribute band (and a little campy too) that was phenomenal! Having seen ABBA on their only US tour back in '77, it was a great way to hear songs that they never performed live in the US. The blond one (who "plays" Agnetha Faltskog) gave me chills during several numbers, most impressively on "The Winner Takes It All".

7. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Second that vote for Bjorn Again. Caught their show in Montreal, oh, must be 7 or 8 years ago. Great show and eclectic crowd. Almost half of them were boomers (I'm not quite old enough to be at the tail end of the boomers, but many at the concert were of that generation) and the other half just moseyed on in from the Gay Village just down the street. I guess ABBA, Bette Midler and Streisand each have there fans from that community.

8. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

Anyone ever seen Australian Pink Floyd?

I heard an entire concert on the radio and I also saw some video of a concert. Not only do they sound incredible, they travel with a five-figure light show that is comparable to the real deal.

They were even asked to play for David Gilmour at his 50th birthday party.

Check them out:

http://www.aussiefloyd.com/

Love their logo too!

9. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I was in a Misfits tribute band for a few months. We were the "Misfits Tribute Band". None of us were very good (then again..... neither were the Misfits), but none-the-less the skull face painted band was well received amongst the locals.

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Here's a nod to Heartbreaker, a Zeppelin tribute band.

They are so good, they sent shivers down my spine when I saw them. Look like them too. It's a little freaky in that the lead singer introduces the other members as "Jimmy Page", "John Paul Jones", and "John Bonham" at the appropriate times during the show. Plus, the singer does the open shirt twirl the mike thing that Robert Plant does, but I swear, the dude has had pectoral implants to make it look like the real thing! Yes, a little bizarre, but the band rocks. I get the impression that they sell out most places they play.

http://www.zeppelintribute.com/

11. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

The best tribute bands I have seen live are the Kiss tribute band "Strutter", and the Beatles tribute band here in Dallas "Hard Days Night". The don't try to dress or look like the Beatles but they sound just like them. It's scary.