Tribes Vengeance Beta

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Max Leung, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Well, after I got suckered into buying a fileplanet subscription more than a year ago (and then being suckered again when they auto-renewed it before I could stop it - plus the further indignity of NOT sending me the Computer Gaming World Magazine because I live in Canada...), it seems I can grant them some slack for allowing us poor suckered subscribers into the Tribes Vengeance Beta. They've moved down a few spots in my sh*t list.

I'm not sure how I like the new game...it seems a lot less buggy than Tribes 2, which is saying quite a bit, considering how crappy that game's launch went. Skiing seems to be back in the game again, but I have yet to try it. The game seems quite a bit faster than Tribes 2 now. Repairing is stupidly easy - just activate the pack and stand around the damaged people or stations.

Vehicles - well, I hate how, at least in the maps I saw, there is only one vehicle per vehicle pad. Period. I really liked the old Tribes 2 and Tribes 1 vehicle stations where you press a button and a new flying coffin is custom-made just for you!

Weapons seem slow - I'm not used to the feel of them, especially come from UT2004. I really like the Burner weapon, which is just like the old Plasma gun in Tribes 1. Immolation is FUN!

Any thoughts from other fileplanet suckers out there?

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Heh, I guess nobody played Tribes. [​IMG]

3. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Max,
    I was a pretty big Tribes 2 fan and have been awaiting Tribes Vengeance with some trepidation. Mainly because I remember how Tribes 2 forced me to upgrade my system and I have a feeling Tribes Vengeange will do the same again. Especially with Doom 3 sitting out there. Thats too bad about the vehichle pads only allowing 1 vehicle. That just doesn't make sense why they would do that. Also, from the earlier trailers I saw, it looked like your jetpacks last alot longer. Is that the case?

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hmm, I don't think jetpacks last any longer than usual. But then again, you can never have enough air time. [​IMG]

Tribes Vengeance ran "okay" on my 1 gigabyte RAM Athlon 2200+ (oc'ed to 2400) with Geforce 4 Ti 4400, on an nforce2 motherboard, Asus A7N8X Deluxe. 800x600. I'd say it is a bit slower than UT2004. Probably 30 fps on average.