Tribes Aerial Assault

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Bennett, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Anyone going to pick this up? Unless it gets horrible reviews I plan on making the blind buy. It looks interesting, despite the lack of voice or keyboard chat.

2. Travis Kolesar

Travis Kolesar Second Unit

3. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

I am. I was a big fan of the Tribes titles on the PC -- despite the buggy nature of Tribes 2 -- and look forward to trying out this one.

Brandon
    HTF-Actinide

4. Romier S

Romier S Producer

I'm with Travis on this one. Lack of in game communication basically means a no buy for me. I will rent though.

5. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

It's a rental.
    With Both Ghost Recon & Unreal Champ. coming out for Xbox live with voice...

Well,something has to give....

This is it.

6. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

Tribes is not Tribes without voice or keyboard...[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Dave Bennett

As I said, if the reviews seem to find that the game can't be played effectively without communication then I'll hold off. Alot of people mention Halo and it's lack of communication and how despite that it still is great to play online. If I had an XBox, I'd probably not get this but I don't have the cash or space to have all 3 systems right now. At any rate, I'm looking forward to an online console FPS and if Tribes gets decent reviews then I think I'll give it a shot.

8. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

Newest EGM gave it slightly better than mediocre reviews, 7.5-6.5-5.0.

Sean

9. Dave Bennett

Hopefully IGN/Gamespot will post reviews soon as I tend to go by those more than magazines. I'll probably buy it from EB or Gamestop in case it stinks so I can get something else.

10. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Are there 8 man or 12 man teams in Halo Online? If you get a bigger group, communication is essential. If you have a smaller 2 man or 4 man teams, you can more likely get away with not having communication.

11. Dave Bennett

Ryan,
    If I'm not mistaken you can go up to 16 people online with halo using the tunneling software as it emulates 4 people on 4 consoles. I'm not positive though. Hopefully IGN will post a review tonight.

12. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

Ryan,
    You can go 8 on 8 in Halo. I've never done that, however. There's usually lag issues when tunneling multiple boxes.
    I have done a 5 on 5 game though, with no lag and it was a blast. I just brought my XBOX over to a buddies house, we connected everything to GameSpy and found someone across the country with the same setup. Our team communicated by yelling to each other from room to room.[​IMG]

13. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

That's cool. And with Tribes it's up to 12 man teams, is that right? That's just weird they didn't offer in-game keyboard communication though.

14. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

How many can play per team in the PS2 version of Tribes? The PC version allows up to 32 players per team. With that size team you need some form of communication.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Tribes PC games (especially the Renegades mod) but I think I'll pass on this one. I just can't see this series working without a keyboard. I also have doubts the resolution drop would be much fun as identifying movement at a distance is key to surviving in Tribes.

I'll certainly get the updated PC version that should be out in a month or two though.

15. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

last i heard the PS2 is 8vs8 broadband, smaller with narrowband. i think the game will still be fun without chat, but if you've got a PC that'll run it then that's certainly the way to go.

But if you don't have a PC that's up to snuff, then you really need to at least try this game if you're a FPS fan. i assure you it's unlike any other FPS you've ever played. the amount of depth in this game compared to any other FPS is amazing. There's so much to do that even after 1 1/2 years i still play the hell outta the PC version.

camp- whadya mean by updated version? Aerial Assault was cancelled; Version2 isn't too much different from ++. I still like base.

16. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

There's a 87MB update to Tribes2 that Sierra made available today. It adds two more game types but I'm not sure what else (I'm downloading it now).

I guess they're just going to re-release T2 with the update rather than a new version like I had previously read.

You should try the Renegades mod. It's by far the best balanced of all the mods and adds tons of smart new strategic elements to base.

17. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

No "shazbot!"? It just wouldn't be the same...

18. Dave Bennett

Went ahead and picked it up today. Played a few rounds online and I must say it's pretty fun. We were just playing Deathmatch but the whole vertical dimension made it very cool. If you've never played Tribes before(like myself) then I think you might enjoy it alot. The graphics aren't as bad as everyone says. They're not great but they're acceptable and the framerate is rock solid(feels like 45-60fps) unlike some other PS2 shooters. Online was lag free on my broadband connection and was easy to setup. The lack of chat might be problematic later on as I explore the other game modes but so far I'm liking the game alot. One really cool feature is the built in buddy list feature for online play. Very cool. I reccomend renting this game as you might love it. I bought it from EB but I don't think I'm going to need to use their return policy.
    Edit-A very cool feature is two player splitscreen online play. A very cool feature IMHO.

19. Dave Bennett

So I've played some more Tribes and here's my opinion. It's a great idea that is executed poorly.
    My big complaints are the following
    Lack of Communication-even an Unreal Tournament style command menu would have worked fine I think but just having yes and no leads to chaos. There have been times when I've tried to get people to jump onto a transport I was piloting and they just ran off on foot. Also, it's very hard to figure out plans without communication of some type. Having said that it does have some auto commands such as "retrieve our flag" when the enemy has your flag. Still, it's just too disorderly without voice chat or even voice binds especially considering how complicated the game is.
    Environments- They are all very large and look nice but they are rather plain and drab. There's basically 4 kinds of levels. Snow, forest, desert, and field. Lack of variety in terms of level design too.

In the end, this game plays like a great beta build that is missing a few features. Give it a rental. I'm glad I got mine at EB as I plan on returning it and using the money to preorder Resident Evil 0.

20. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

hey Dave,
    Thanks for the (semi) reviews. I appreciate it, as Ive learned from you exactly was I expected/feared. I too was planning to just get this game, but I had a really hard time getting over the lack of communication. Like someone posted earlier, Ghost Recon and UC, something has to give!

On a side note, I do remember reading on the official T:AA forums that there are ways to do "voice binds" - i dont know what that means though.

(rental for sure!)