Triangle Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis B, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Dennis B

Dennis B Stunt Coordinator

Folks,
    Has anyone here had a chance to audition any Triangle speakers? Sam Tellig reviewed a couple of Celius 202s that are supposed to be in the same league as N801s for only $2600... [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Thanks for any insights.

2. Dennis B

That was on Stereophile Oct 2001, BTW.

3. Dennis B

bump

4. Alex Bischoff

Alex Bischoff
  5. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

I heard the Celius' this past week...onn an all CJ tube setup. Very disappointed to say the least...thin vocals (even with lush CJ amp/preamp) and a very fatiguing top end.

I don't know why Sam is all into this speaker line, and reviews a model each month.

Also, it had no bass....in line with the 50hz spec, but not great for a 5 driver floorstander that is 40+ inches tall.

The Epos M15 right next to it was much better, simpler, and 700 less to boot..

6. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

I just picked up a pair of Triangle Titus' this weekend and to me, they earn a very justified place among Stereophile's Class B components. Mine aren't broken in yet, but they already show the promise of a solid Class B speaker. For the price I paid ($479) these are an unbelievable steal. They easily compete with anything from say, Paradigm's Reference line (Studio 100s excepted, of course) at almost every point of comparison EXCEPT bass extension--the Titus' extend down to about 60Hz or so, but bass articulation is extrememly fast, tight and punchy. If you want more info on the Titus', I'll be posting more detailed impressions after I've spent more time with them and they've broken in a bit more.

7. stephen_z

stephen_z Stunt Coordinator

I've just placed my order in for a pair of Titus 202's and center channel to start piecing together an affordable HT system. I love B&W's as much as the next guy, but I was hoping to find a pleasant surprise that didn't cost a few mortgage payments. For $495 list, I can't imagine many speakers that can match the Titus for clarity and openness in midrange and highs with a broad sound stage (width and depth). The fact that it doesn't have a cross-over could explain how clean they sounded. I was also looking at the Paradigm Reference series (20,40,60), but they didn't make me smile. I didn't have time to audition the Celius (part of me didn't want to or my budget would be blown), but if they do sound anything approaching Sam Tellig's review, they would be a steal at $1995 (standard finish). Definitely a potential upgrade down the road. I agree with Eugin, bass extension isn't anything to write home about. The dealer was recommending the Triangle Sub (2-8" woofers) for bass speed... we'll have to check it out against SVS.

As for KeithR's comment, could the Celius have sounded thin and fatiguing because of a short break-in period?

8. Richard Greene

Richard Greene Stunt Coordinator

I have never heard better speakers for $500 or less than the Triangle Titus speakers that I auditioned for two hours at a hi-fi-store in Windsor, Canada.

The only fault I had with them was too much treble output (even for my 48 year old ears) that younger audiophiles with better high frequency hearing may not like. The treble quality is fine, especially with high quality audiophile CDs, but there's too much treble output

for a CD with below-average treble quality

(such as an early Rolling Stones recording).

The treble is less of a problem the further away from the speakers you sit (air is an excellent high frequency absorber -- most people would not want to sit close to these speakers, or any other bright speakers).

As with all small bass driver speakers:

(1) a subwoofer is needed.

(2) the Titus's would be best for modest volumes such as

75-80dB average SPL (not that clean sounding at 85dB or louder).

I listened to the Titus speakers without a subwoofer.

That they sounded so good without a subwoofer is a great complement coming from me, as I prefer full range bass all the way down to 20Hz.

9. Alex Bischoff

Alex Bischoff
    Richard wrote:

10. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Alex,

I've never heard the M22Ti or the Divas--I did intend to order them to try out at home before making a final decision, but the Triangles just blew me away. Whether the Axioms and Divas match or outperform the Triangles is now a moot point for me. I wanted the best speaker I could get under $1000 that would sound better (to me) than the Paradigm Reference line. The Titus is better than anything I had a right to expect at less than $500. My suggestion to you is, if you have the patience and room on your credit card, get the Axioms, Divas and Ttitus in for an audition in your home. I suspect that they will all offer very different listening experiences and your final decision will come down to personal taste, e.g. I wouldn't suggest the Titus for listeners who prefer overly warm-sounding speakers or earth-shaking bass. Best of luck.

11. Kexi Cao

Kexi Cao Auditioning

I was lucky enough to find a dealer carries Triangle Celius near me. I bought them about 3 months ago for $1800. It took about a whole month to have them broke in. They are very very good! My ears are so spoiled by 30 years of listening live classical music and 20 years of listening CDs through Stax earspeakers, I've had a such hard time to find speakers that I can afford. I had two audiophile friends came from Boston last week to come to New York City Hilton Hotel for some kind of audio electronics show. After whole day of listening to many $20k and up speakers, they stopped by my house and listened the Celius. Their comments were "the Celius is better than many of those $20k ones; for the price, you can't get any better than that!" Of course, they didn't do any a/b blind test which I believe is the ultimate test although it's extremely difficult to do it correctly.

I just bought a vtf-3 (based on Barry's review which I think is very credible with 3 different people using a/b blind test method) three weeks ago to complete the frequency spectrum. The Celius is Stereophile Class A. I am pretty sure the vtf-3 will be Class A as well because vtf-2 already is. The Celius has its frequency down to the 35 Hz but it actually starts to drop at 60. I set my vtf-3 crossover at 60 Hz and the volume only to between 9 and 10 clock. That extra punch which the Stax couldn't give to me is just simply satisfying.

12. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Sam Tellig also gushed about how great the B&W Leisure monitors are. Personally, I think his reviews are essentially worthless.

Larry

13. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

I audition the Celius in a dealer's house for about an hour and found them to be very fatigue sounding with too much treble. The Celius was hooked up to an Rega Planet 2000 CD player and the Rega amp. The dealer insist that the speakers are fully broken in and what I was hearing is exactly how its suppose to be.

Maybe the reason why Sam Tellig likes the Trangles so much is because he's into SET tube amps which is more mellow then the solid state amps.

14. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

I don't know about the Celius, but I really have no problem with brightness on my Titus. I suppose a lot of this is down to personal preferences and what one considers "bright".

Michael, if the Celius sounded bright to you, no one can argue with that. I remember when I first got my Titus, they sounded a tad bright as well, but have since been well broken-in.

The Titus is never going to be one of the warmer sounding speakers out there because it just imparts so little in terms of its own sonic signature. These are just extremely neutral and revealing speakers--I've realized since owning them that while my previous speakers (Paradigm Monitor 5v.2) were somewhat warmer, they were also more forgiving of poor or harsh recordings. Some people prefer their music this way, others want a more revealing rig. I haven't decided one way or the other and consider my Triangle Titus ownership merely one more step on the learning curve. Happy listening, folks!

15. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor