What's new

Triad vs. Gr Research (1 Viewer)

ChrisArmour

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, another "this speaker vs. that speaker thread". I auditioned the Triad Silver LCR's yesterday, they were very impressive sounding. I am curious as to anybodys impressions of these speakers, and if possible, any comparisons to the Gr Research A/V-2's. One thing that I found very impressive about the Triads was the extensive internal bracing(they had a cab with the front removed), it almost seemed like an overkill, the Triads have rock solid cabs for sure.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

Call Danny at GR Research and ask him to put you on the demo list for the A/V-2's. All it will cost you is shipping to the next guy in line for the demo. You'll be able to audition them in your home and you can knock on the side of the cabinets and see if they're sturdy enough for you! :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
:D Sturdy would be an understatement...

So how did the Triads sound? What did you like about them?

ChrisArmour

Stunt Coordinator
During my audition I was shown an action sequence from Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone. During the movie the speakers sounded almost harsh in the higher frequencies, like they were brighter than my Klipsch, which did'nt make too much sence to me considering that Triad uses fabric tweeters. I should have asked to see a different film. It must have been the NAD reciever or program material, because when the salesman put on some 2 channel music, these speakers sounded amazing for their size. Imaging and detail were outstanding, and in the higher frequencies, all of that harshness I heard during the movie disappeared. These Silver LCR's sounded almost as good to me as the VMPS QSO626 Ribbons, which in my book are phenominal, top of the line monitors. I have yet to hold an A/V-2 in my hands, and I am not knocking your work(pun intended) Brian(I'm sure your cabs are very solid), but I have never seen as much bracing inside of a monitors cab as there was inside of the Silver LCR, those things are tanks.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I in-home demoed the A/V-2s and I ended up buying a pair. :D I auditioned a lot of speakers, and these were the ones that I felt gave me everything I was looking for in the price range.

I never audition with movies, I always use quality music recordings that I am familiar with, and I always ask what type of connection they are using. Going from digital to analog can make a noticable difference with certain gear, and which DACs, the receiver or source, were being used can also make a big difference.

I assume the Silver LCR`s you are referring to are the IN-ROOM version...or the IN-WALL version??? For anyone interested in purchasing Triad, I am a Triad dealer!!!
You can contact me direct at [email protected]

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

Hey, I just build them to Danny's specs! :) But they are very solid nonetheless.

John, did you get your center channel yet? Let me know how it matches the mains. I'd imagine it's a little lighter since the veneer is not as old as on your mains.

Shawn Keeler

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,
Thank you so much for the post!!!! I just talked to Danny and he is sending me a pair to demo. I had been wrestling back and forth between what speakers to go with, and hearing them is such a big part. This will take the guess work out of it. Thanks again, and thank you Danny!!!!!!!!!!!
Shawn Keeler

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Hey John....you do not have your center yet, but I get my stands tomorrow!!

Danny is also sending me some A/V-2's to demo!

Another thanks to Brian and Danny.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Hummm...I thought he finished it up sometime last week. I know he's been swamped too. I'm sure I can speak for Danny in saying that we both appreciate your patience. If business continues to pick up I might have to hire some high school kids to help out with stuff that they can't screw up too easily!:)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Stuff takes about a week or so to get to me from Danny, so if he sent it out last week, it should show up in the next day or two. It would be nice to have it for the holiday weekend. :) Hopefully the monoblock that I ordered for it will show up around the same time as well...

ChrisArmour

Stunt Coordinator
I doubt the NAD was at fault since most people consider them "warm".
It must have been the soundtrack then, it's just that I watched that movie on my HT and I dont recall that scene being that obnoxious, and my Klipsch speakers are fairly bright.

george king

Supporting Actor
Chris,

The AV-1s are solid, and built like a tank. Brian built my AV-1 cabs (the smaller version), which are about half the size of the AV-2 cabs. Each one, empty, was a shade under 12 lbs, according to my scale. Since they are so small, there was no bracing needed, but they were completely dead with the rap test.

By the time I added the drivers, crossover, and Black Hole 5, each speaker was over 20 lbs.

Brian,

If you see this, I have an extra half sheet of BH5, would it make sense to line a subwoofer cabinet with it, or would that affect the volume of the cabinet. Thanks

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
George,

The volume displaced by the BH5 will be pretty much neglibile and will work fine a subwoofer enclosure. If properly braced I don't really think it's necessary, but if you've got it laying around with nothing else to do with it, why not? :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The A/V-2s come in at a tad under 39 lbs each. :)

My center showed up last night...:eek::emoji_thumbsup: :D :D

Curtis and ChrisArmour - I'll be very interested to hear what both you think of these speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks