What's new

Triad Platinum vs RM40 - Audition results (1 Viewer)

Chris Bone

Agent
After a four hour audition of the TRIAD Platinum and the VMPS RM40 I and three other friends came to the same conclusion- the RM40's were the best speaker we had ever heard. I have personally listened to top of the line M&K, JM Labs, B&W, Paradigm, NHT, Klipsch and a few others. The RM40's are in my humble opinion better than them all.
For two channel music the RM40's outshines the Triads in every way. This is not to take anything away from the Platinums. They are very good speakers. The Triads definitely had the edge over the VMPS as far as build quality goes. The RM40's are built like tanks also but not quite to the level of the Triads.
As far as home theater it was a pretty even match. The RM40's gave nothing away to the Triads in this regards. In fact, I felt the dialog from the VMPS LCR was a touch more clear. The theater was set up with Triad gold surrounds-which were great. However, as good as the RM40's were I doubt the VMPS 626R's would give anything up to the Triad surrounds.
Triad, on the other hand, does offer great sounding speakers in far more designs to make it easier to utilize in different listening environments. VMPS does not offer in-wall designs and their RM40's are 5'6" 240 pound monsters!
Still, if one is looking for pure sound reproducing capabilities I think you would be hard pressed to find anything to compare to the RM40's for under $20,000. I believe these speakers could be in the running against any speaker at nearly any price. This, of course, is all my personal opinion.
Two of my friends came-one, a dedicated audiophile while the other was pure HT. Both of them favored the VMPS over the Triad for music. My audiophile friend claimed he thought the VMPS sounded better for HT also. The HT guy, like myself, felt it was a draw in this respect. So, in the final analysis we felt:

1. RM40's sounded better than Platinums for music.

2. RM40's sounded as good or better than the Platinums for
movies

3. Platinums were built more solid than the RM40's.

Again, this is just the humble opinion of a few music and movie lovers. Both speakers were a joy and if you have the chance to hear either you should jump at the chance. I cannot thank Scott enough for such a wonderful opportunity.

Blown away,

Chris

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Chris did you by chance get to read the Listener review where they compared 5 loudspeakers in the ~$3,000 price range. They were Krix, Neat, JM Reynaud, VMPS, and Von Schweikert. Very well written review and worth looking for.

Chris Bone

Agent
Scott,

It is funny you should mention the article since I just found that one yesterday. I think it is really something that the VMPS can stand out in such a crowd of great speakers. I have auditioned many high end brands. I have heard the JM Lap Grand Utopia's, B&W 801's etc. The RM40's to my ears sound better. Fantastic speakers!

Chris

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Are you purchasing them?
And was this a home audition? Those speakers would be quite the load to haul to someone's house.
The size and looks of VMPS speakers led me away from them, but they certainly seem like great bang for the buck speakers. Someday I think I will try one of their subs for my LFE sub.

BTW
I have the JM Reynaud Offrande speaker briefly mentioned in the article as the next step up from the Evolution 3's. Fantastic speaker!

I have also heard the Neat Elite and its pretty good, certainly better than a lot of more talked about speaker brands, but I would take the Reynaud over it anyday.

Chris Bone

Agent
Scott,

The audition was in a home with a professionally designed home theater. I agree that the RM40's are a bit big for some applications. Mine will be hidden in the design of my theater so "looks" are not a priority. I not only believe the RM40's are a "great bang for the buck", they are competitive sonic-wise with any speaker I have ever heard regardless of price.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks