Treo 650 anyone use one ?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Brent T, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Brent T

Brent T Second Unit

Hi and sorry if this is not the correct area to post this thread.

I am currently using Zire 71 PDA and I am looking to upgrade to another pda type product. I am currently looking at the Treo 650 and was hoping some of you may have one.

If so could you please give me a mini review of it ?

Thanks !

2. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

I have one and I love that I don't have to carry a phone and a PDA separately. There are lots of useful applications available and that's a big plus. I added a Vaja case and it looks sharp!!

It doesn't have WiFi built in so you can't hook up to a hotspot out of the box (there are WiFi sleds available though). The buttons are small so it's definitely slower to dial compared to a regular phone. It tends to get sluggish and hangs if the apps don't install properly.

3. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Blackberry person myself but according to phonescoop their seems to be a plethora of smartphones to be released soon and if this is the case I bet you might be able to pick up one of these treos 650 cheap. [​IMG]

4. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Microsoft just released upgrades to Exchange's mobility features, and it's subsequent licensing to device manufacturers. There will be a ton of new releases 1Q of next year, including the Treo700 and HTC Tornado. I would definitely hold off 4-6 months as there is some really cool stuff coming down the pike.

5. Bob Friend

Bob Friend Stunt Coordinator

I've got one. It's great that I don't have to carry several devices. I can connect to my Exchange server at work for email.

As a phone, it sucks. The volume is very low at it's lowest setting. Bluetooth support is pretty poor as well.

6. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    I had one and took it back 2 days later. VERY low phone volume, even with the third party app. It just never reached the level of the Nokia 6620 I have. Typing on it is terrible. Someone, someday, is going to marry a PDA and a phone without the need to type with a pencil tip. Crashed/locked up a lot. I also have this aversion to the Palm OS, but it was $150 cheaper than the Siemens.

And I also had the Siemens. Almost perfect. Almost kept it, but it crashed/locked up a lot also. Great OS, LOTS you can do with it. Just got too heavy and bulky, and I had to reset it too much.

Mike

7. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

The Treo 650 did have a problem with low handset volume but they released new firmware for it a few months back. It solved the volume issue and it doesn't hang nearly as much now. You guys should try installing it...

8. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I'm waiting on a device that is like a real mini-pc and has a sizeable hard drive in it.

I want to be able to connect with it to my home pc from work and be able to do things like access my mp3s, update my blog, get my home pop3 email, access via a cell connection instead of the companies wifi (they get testy about that) and be able to kill the downtime at work on the web while again not using the company pc system.