What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
In the 1950’s, Universal had churned out science films by the handful each year; among the notable films – some of which have become classics of the genre – were It Came from Outer Space (1953), Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954), This Island Earth (1955) and The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957). Coming in at the conjunction between the end of the 1980’s and the start of the 1990’s, Tremors harkened back to those golden days of Universal sci-fi. Previously available on DVD and Blu-ray, Arrow has licensed the film for a Limited Edition release.

Tremors (1990)

Released: 19 Jan 1990
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 96 min

Director: Ron Underwood
Genre: Comedy, Horror

Cast: Kevin Bacon, Fred Ward, Finn Carter, Michael Gross
Writer(s): S.S. Wilson (story), Brent Maddock (story), Ron Underwood (story), S.S. Wilson (screenplay), Brent Maddock...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Also, as one of the last movies to feature a complete use of practical special effects before Jurassic Park (1993) changed the game in creature features, the film deploys the array of effects work in a completely convincing fashion that one can forget that in some key scenes, like one of the Graboids burrowing infoto the Gummer’s basement
This sentence confuses me. Are you saying the viewer can forget it’s not cgi?

Otherwise a nice review. I have thoroughly enjoyed Arrow’s new release. And the extras on are on the 4K disc!

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
This sentence confuses me. Are you saying the viewer can forget it’s not cgi?

Otherwise a nice review. I have thoroughly enjoyed Arrow’s new release. And the extras on are on the 4K disc!

I was trying to say that the practical effects (miniatures and such) are so well done that one can forget that they were employed in the movie. That's what I was trying to say.

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
I was trying to say that the practical effects (miniatures and such) are so well done that one can forget that they were employed in the movie. That's what I was trying to say.
And well done miniatures are far superior to any CGI- just look to the original Star Wars trilogy and Blade Runner among many others.
The Criterion release of Three Fantastic Journeys by Karel Zeman will totally convince you if not the above.

JimJasper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Nice review Mychal.... I haven't seen the film for quite some time. Anyway, I was hoping you would've noted which audio track you liked the best and why. Do you think the film watching experience would have benefitted much with an Atmos mix or DTS-X mix... curious of your thoughts....
Interested Pop Tv GIF by One Day At A Time

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Nice review Mychal.... I haven't seen the film for quite some time. Anyway, I was hoping you would've noted which audio track you liked the best and why. Do you think the film watching experience would have benefitted much with an Atmos mix or DTS-X mix... curious of your thoughts....
Interested Pop Tv GIF by One Day At A Time

My preference was for the 4.0 DTS track, as it was the most immersive on my home theater system, in my personal opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock6570