"Trees Lounge" Special Edition DVD Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jesse Blough, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough Second Unit

I just recently discovered the great Steve Buscemi film "Trees Lounge", so I went searching to see if it was out on DVD.

Well... It is. The only problem is that the special edition widescreen version with director's commentary is apparently out of print (already...). There's a second version, but it's pan and scan with no special features.

The special edition is apparently very rare as I've seen it at websites for around 35 bucks, used.

Here's the main problem: I don't want to spend that kind of money on a used DVD. Who knows how banged up it is, and besides... That's a lot of money for a single disc DVD. I'm a college student... Heh. *a moth flies out of his wallet*

And here's my main question: Should I just bite the bullet and get the pan and scan version (I can find it for as low as 10 bucks, brand new), or should I keep trying to hunt down the special edition? Is there anybody out there who has and/or seen the SE who can tell me if it would be worth that kind of money?

Better yet, any news if the SE is going to get put back into print? That would be great.

Thanks.

2. Carrol Jo

Carrol Jo Extra

Hi Jesse - welcome to the forum!
    The Pioneer release of Trees Lounge is one of the first used DVDs I bought a few years ago. I would highly recommend seeking out this edition; it's definitely worth the extra cost, particularly if you're a Buscemi fan. His commentary is low-key but very insightful - as is often the case in commentaries by writer/directors.
    So I guess the answer to your question really depends on a) how much the film and it's performers appeals to you, and b) how much tolerance you have for Pan & Scan. [​IMG]

3. Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough Second Unit

"So I guess the answer to your question really depends on a) how much the film and it's performers appeals to you, and b) how much tolerance you have for Pan & Scan."
    Hm... Well, I have ZERO tolerance for pan and scan. That's why I refuse to buy the Secret of NIMH and All Dogs Go To Heaven DVDs because of that very reason. Heh, I've basically boycotted it.
    Steve Buscemi is my favorite actor and the movie rocked. A commentary track with Steve Buscemi is like... A holy grail for me.
    I think I'll probably try to keep hunting for the SE. Here's hoping I find it for a reasonable price *keeps fingers crossed*
    The best situation would be, of course, if the SE went back into print... But there's probably close to no chance of that happening. [​IMG]

4. Joe Vidal

Joe Vidal Extra

I have seen the LD of Trees Lounge with commentary. It is entertaining and enlightening in many scenes. There was a shot of him just driving around ...and in the commentary track he mentions how some people thought this was a "reference to reservervoir dogs." I had no idea what he was talking about until you see some guys in the distance walking with black suits in an empty lot. They are so distant and out of focus it is easily missed ....so it's just one of those serendipitous occurences that the viewer would be totally unaware of if it weren't for the commentary.
    For some reason that one stuck out for me. That and the mention of Estzer Balint's Stranger than Paradise-ish gestures.
    Good luck finding it. It's definitely worth it if you're an indie-film and Steve Buscemi fan. I wish it was still available as well.

5. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

I'm still trying to hunt down a copy of the OOP widescreen disc. I actually found one on half.com right before the current disc was released. I paid for it and the asshole seller never shipped it. Took me months to get a refund from half. Anyway, the search continues. I won't buy the crappy re-release. I can't understand why this title was not re-released in its correct aspect ratio. I seriously doubt that "J6P" has even heard of this film, and no serious collector would ever purchase the pan and scan copy. So who was the current disc made for? It boggles the mind. I'll bet the pan and scan version has sold about 100 copies.
    [​IMG]

6. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

Yes, I have the OOP SE DVD and I'm never parting with this one [​IMG]
    If you are going to buy the DVD spring for the OOP SE or else wait and hope. Don't reward the Pan & Scammers.
    Ted

7. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Wow,

I have this WS, played once (excellent movie though) in my collection. Had no idea it was OOP.

In case someone REALLY wants one, I'll sell mine.

For one ... BILLION dollars.

I might take less. ;^)

Ron

8. Veli-Matti Reitti

Veli-Matti Reitti Stunt Coordinator

The widescreen version of Trees Lounge is avaliable at dvdsoon. I don't think it contains the commentary or any other supplement material but at least it's OAR and pretty cheap unless it's not a missprint. If you look closely on the cover you'll notice it says "widescreen version". I presume it's the canadian version.

9. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I have the original version. It's a 1:85 Non Anamorphic Print. I Don't believe the film was shot with Super 35 so I don't think it's Open Matte. Anyhow always say no to P&S

10. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Laser Blazer in West LA has a copy of the WS version used for $14 (as of last night). I got one that way about a month ago. Looks great.
    www.laserblazer.com