What's new

Trees Lounge fans, beware!! (1 Viewer)

brianacook

Stunt Coordinator
I just received the "new" version of Trees Lounge that was released yesterday. Although this version was supposed to have been identical to the prior release with only a price reduction, that is not the case. It is a full-frame version with no supplemental material.

Brian

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Holy shit,

The mainstream acceptance of the DVD format is now affecting art films.

'Trees Lounge' is OAR on laserdisc. I miss the niche.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
You've got to be kidding me. Some marketing genius actually thinks that J6P wants "Trees Lounge"! Whoever that is should be immediately fired!

Thanks for the warning!

John Stone

Supporting Actor
It is a full-frame version
WHAT?! I'm really confused over this release. Every online vendor and press release I've seen shows 1.85 non-anamorphic with a release date of 03/26/2002. Now you are saying it is pan-and-scan, plus DVD Empire didn't ship mine and changed the release date to 04/02/2002. No one in my town had a copy, either. Where did you find yours? God I'm going to be fucking pissed if this is not widescreen--I can't help but feel that the OAR battle is slowly being lost. :angry:

brianacook

Stunt Coordinator
The one I got was preordered from Amazon. I haven't actually put it in the player because I will be returning it, but the box clearly says it is full frame. Plus it lists no extras.

Hasn't anyone else received or purchased this "new" version yet besides me?

Brian

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
I haven't actually put it in the player because I will be returning it, but the box clearly says it is full frame.
I have an Artisan disc that is clearly labeled full frame on the cover but is nevertheless OAR when you actually play it. I hope this is the same mistake here, because I really like this movie, but not in full frame.

Andrew Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I looked at this today at Future shop and had the same reaction, but when I looked at the graphic with the full frame/anamorphic comparison, it clearly said, "This film is presented in Full Frame, which is the intended aspect ratio." Maybe Buscemi pulled a Kubrick and shot it with the intention of 4:3 being the final version, and it was matted for the theatrical version. Maybe someone can compare the two.

It would have been nice to have the Hayden video though. That would have made me buy the disc.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The old Pioneer version I have is widescreen (and labeled as such), has commentary and music videos on it.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
In a weird reversal of this, I saw Artisan's new release of the old Pioneer title "After Dark My Sweet," which was formerly released full-frame but is now 16x9 WS (the packaging says 1.85:1, but I swear it was 2.35:1 theatrically). I sold my old version a few weeks ago and will likely grab this one at some point.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
I can't believe that Artisan would think Trees Lounge is popular enough to be released fullscreen... is DVD becoming so mainstream that nothing is safe from the dreaded "altered to fit this screen" disclaimer?!?

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
So, is there no Widescreen version of Trees Lounge on DVD? I thought I saw one and it was widescreen, but I could be mistaken.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Brain, you wouldn't by chance have 4x3 Pan & Scan selected on your DVD player would you? Maybe Trees Lounge uses the Pan & Scan on the fly feature. Thus changing to 4x3 Widescreen, you will see it in 1.85:1

Just a thought.

Jeff

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I just picked up the old OOP widescreen version, which also has the Buscemi commentary. I found it on half.com factory sealed. There are still some out there, but I'll bet they are going to be snatched up pretty quick.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
And I thought I was the only who'd seen this movie! :b

I'm glad I have the old release. Only paid ten bucks for it, too!

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
So, is there no Widescreen version of Trees Lounge on DVD? I thought I saw one and it was widescreen, but I could be mistaken.
As others have stated, the previous release (which I have) is OAR widescreen and has excellent extras like the commentary track. Get it while you can! The movie itself is a lot of fun.

Hey I now have a legitimate excuse for buying stuff right away -- you never know when its OAR version will disapear...

Ted

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Would the statement: There is no anamorphic widescreen version of this film, be correct?
In R1 definitely. Probably elsewhere too, but I haven't looked. The non-anamorphic widescreen release is OK so far as non-anamorphic transfers go.

Ted

Andrew Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
So has anyone physically checked out this new version? Artisan/Alliance has screwed up the packaging before, but it just boggles my mind that they would have screwed us over so royally yet again, especially when the older version HAS all the extras. Maybe I'll try to convince the peons at FS to open it up and let me check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks