What's new

Treatment: Better diffusion or absorption? (1 Viewer)

Marcus Brenneke

Auditioning
Real Name
Marco
Hi all,
I am planning an home theater in a dedicated room that will be built on purpose (7x5m / 21x15'); I've read lot of things about acoustics and acoustic treatment, but usually suited for stereo systems.
Well, I think that corners lower frequencies treatment (for reducing room resonance problems) should be the same, but I would like to know if there are specific rules for home theaters, first of all if for main reflection case are more appropriate absorbing devices (like perforated panels and tube traps) or diffuser devices (quadratic residue / diffractal, rpg).
Anyone can tell me where to find information or if subsist some specific/requirements just for home theaters?

I look for this on the forum but I couldn't find it, I hope to have not written about an already discussed topic.
Many thanks, regards.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Marco.

A very good book on this topic is "Sound Studio Construction on a Budget" by F. Alton Everest. (This guy wrote the definitive Master Acoustics Handbook).

The book has some background information about room acoustics then about a dozen plans/ideas for sound studios, and 3 for home theater.

In general - most living rooms dont have quite the same issues as dedicated Movie rooms because the walls are often broken up by windows, doors, furniture.

Diffuser panels at the main reflection spots can be used for bigger rooms with un-broken walls. Absorber panels can also be bought or made, but these are much thicker and have lower spousal acceptance factors.

Remember that home theater is more about IMPACT while music is about accuracy. Optimizing the subwoofer position and perhaps charting the room response at subwoofer frequencies can often give you the best return for your time and money. For a while - everyone was ga-ga over a "Behringer Feedback Destroyer" which is a parametric equalizer that can be used to tame peaks in the subwoofer reflections to smooth things out.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks