What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
One of the grandest of adventure tales, Robert Louis Stevenson’s Treasure Island has been brought to the screen quite a few times, but Byron Haskin’s 1950 version made under the auspices of Walt Disney remains among the best ever.

Treasure Island (1950)

Released: 19 Jul 1950
Rated: PG
Runtime: 96 min

Director: Byron Haskin
Genre: Adventure, Family

Cast: Bobby Driscoll, Robert Newton, Basil Sydney, Walter Fitzgerald
Writer(s): Lawrence Edward Watkin (screenplay), Robert Louis Stevenson (story)

Plot: The treasure seeking adventures of young Jim Hawkins and pirate captain Long John Silver.

IMDB rating: 7.0
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Disney
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution:...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
This bluray looks stunning. But I hate that Disney is releasing all of these bare-bones with no bonus material. At least they look good.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Photographed by Freddie Young, who shot a few other U.K. productions, inclusive of their first CinemaScope film.

Take a careful look at the lighting of the apple barrel sequence, if you want to see what masterful means.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Enjoying this movie again for the first time since I was a kid. It's still good c.45 years later! I got the blu-ray from the Disney Movie Club, of course.

As Matt H. writes in his review: "....there is no denying the tremendous camaraderie between Driscoll and the unforgettable Robert Newton as the definitive Long John Silver, perhaps the greatest performance in his long and distinguished career."

This movies seems like it must have been part of the inspiration for the Pirates of the Caribbean ride that I first was on shortly after it opened in 1967.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I watched this projected the other night (pro calibrated JVC NP5 4K upscaled with the Panasonic 420) and this disc looks absolutely stunning. It nearly looks like a UHD BD. Bold saturated colors (as I would expect for this film), well rendered highlights, deep blacks, fine film grain and nice encoding. I know it came from a 4K scan. Really nice as was the stereo audio which I imagine was the original?

I remember renting this as a kid in the early 80s when my parents bought our first VHS player. Just found an image of it.

1682036136609.png

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I rented pretty much all of those Disney movies with that style packaging - whenever I see one of those VHS cases today I get instant nostalgia for them.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the nostalgia is huge for me. These VHS releases were the way I saw many Disney classics for the first time.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
I remember watching this at the Show.
And then on VHS.
Just picked up a new VHS player. Open Box.
On eBay. $20 bucks. I thought it was a B.S. deal.
But took a chance. I bid. I win. $20 bucks. And $20 bucks shipping. I pay. Three days later it comes.
And it was new. The packing and all. Never been set up. Now I can watch the good old VHS tapes I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks