What's new

Treasure Hunters (1 Viewer)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Couldn't find a thread for this, so if there is one, you can lock this.

Anyone else catch the premiere of Treasure Hunters tonight? I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I was expecting a complete knock-off of The Amazing Race, but it wasn't really. The twist of having the teams not know about each other was cool, and it was definitely a pretty intelligent competition. I only hope the rest of the season is this good.

I'm rooting for the Ex-CIA team but the Miss USA and Grad Student teams deserve some recognition...
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry Almeida
I watched and enjoyed the show, but I have to disagree with you about not being an TAR knock-off. It had its slight differences, but it really had and TAR feel to me.

While the twist was cool, it really has no effect on the game. Now they're just 9 individual teams competing in the race, uh, I mean hunting for the treasure. :)

Now there's no arguing that. :D

Anyone playing the online game? It is not the same as the text message Q&A during the show.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Shoot! I totally forgot all about this new show. I wonder if they are gonna repeat the premiere. Probably, they usually do. I'm gonna go check my listings right now.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I'll give it another chance, but so far, it doesn't grab me nearly as much as The Amazing Race. And I was not on the edge of my seat like reading Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code.

I can't help but think of Top Cat whenever I saw the host on a TV screen or cell phone.

It's not a race around the world, which is why I thought it was less like TAR (and Around the World in 80 Days, for that matter) than I originally thought.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The one thing that bothers me is the fact that the teams are all competing side by side. This sort of means at the end of the day,they are all back to being even. This also leads to some teams just watching the other teams for ideas, instead of figuring out things for themselves.

On a side note, am I the only one that finds the "Geniuses" team annoying? It might have just been the editing, but they really came across as completely stuck up and overconfident. I was really hoping that they would have been eliminated in the first round. They said a couple of times they would have to "dumb themselves down". I hoped you enjoyed your hike up the wrong mountain, geniuses!!

brentl

Senior HTF Member
HHHmmm, I thought it was a mess!

I really didn't find that it endeared itself to me, the teams were really sad, no interesting dynamic between teams. The cell phone thing drove me nuts after the first hour.I know that Phil does the "a detour is a choice" thing, but it's done in person and is much more honest than the BAD host on a cell phone.

I'll watch only because it's Sunday during the summer, and nothing else is on!

That is until the next Amazing Race starts, I think it'll be on Sunday's!

Brent

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
It's actually moving to Mondays starting next week.

Totally agree, especially the one with the crazy sideburns. Although I was glad they stayed since they showed some signs of personality unlike the Young Professionals.

I think there's an abbreviated version of the first episode airing next Monday at 8 EST.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
It suffers from the same problem that "The Amazing Race: Family Edition" did...

...to damn many people to keep track of.

I also thought it was shot in a very impersonal manner. The look of TAR (and Survivor) is better in that it looks like it was shot on video cameras. This show has a more "theatrical/documentary" feel.

I kinda thought it was a mess.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
Was it me or does the guy who's giving the instructions sound like one of the guys in the Matrix? If he only had on a pair of sunglasses.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was decent. It's a great concept, but the execution isn't quite there yet. They need to cut down on the "free riders" (i.e. the teams that see another team solve a puzzle).

And I love the Browns, but did they actually complete the dive to the bottom of the bay to retrieve the box? Or did they just get a free pass because they couldn't swim very well?

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator
I really like this show, as it combines the Amazing Race, puzzle solving, physical challenges and some history (not as much as it portrays though).

My favorite teams are the Air Force team (overwhelming favorites in my book) and the female grad students (who really showed strong yesterday while competing on crutches).

The ex-CIA team is so misnamed, as they took a seminar at the CIA or something like that. No CIA involvement.

The Wild Hanyons might be some of the stupidest people in North America. Both in book smarts, reasoning, and situational logic. I'm also getting a hypocrite vibe from the pastor's family.

Although the Brown family had no physical ability at all, I did like them as they have a strong family bond.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

That guy annoys the hell out of me. He reminds me of a soap opera actor doing a hosting gig.

Jeff*S*C*

Second Unit
Now that was sweet ending. A nice little promo for My Name Is Earl. :)

"You wouldn't give us a ride and now you wanna ride on my back?" LOL

The Hanlons might've not had the brains but at least one of them had a heart.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Anyone still watching this?

We are hanging on through the end...though I will have to say that I think Miss USA was totally screwed by the show last night...

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I agree...the three trailing teams should have been forced to at least go to the location even if they already figured out the clue. And it's not like the Geniuses and Ex-CIAs did anything to deserve the freebie.

Anyone else tired of the Southies' constant "Oh, they undaestimade us but we're provin' that we're smahta than all of 'om!"?

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I'm still watching.

I don't know what happened with Miss USA. They were in second place all the way to Paris. Did they not get a phone call?

At least the Fogly's are gone. Their daughter was the most annoying person I've seen on tv in a long time. I wanted to slap her in the swamp.

edit: I have no problem with them figuring out a clue early. I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened more often. It is the whole teams tagging along like Anthony mentions that takes away from the challenges.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

I may be misremembering, and I deleted the show from my DVR, so I can’t check, but as I recall the three trailing teams did not get their ‘solved the clue’ phone call until they were at the base of the Eiffel Tower. True enough they did not appear to have to go to the observation deck and look for the Statue of Liberty replica, but they did have to get the location.

Where I think Miss USA had bad luck was that they actually got in front of the other three teams who were riding on the subway. The Geniuses and Ex-CIA benefited from being right next to the Southie Boys discovery of the hidden clue. Had Miss USA also been there, they too would have benefited.

But in the endMiss USA has only themselves to blame for not solving the map. Had they done that in even a reasonable time, they would have been at the next site before the other teams.

This is an interesting show, but in discussion with my wife last night I find that I don ‘t really care who wins, and now that the Foglys are gone, I don’t care who loses.

And I really find the robot who is disguised as a TV host to be off-putting.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Lew:

But, it seemed to take Air Force and Miss USA a fairly considerable amount of time to find the statue of liberty, and they made it an integral part of the search. Fine, the 3 teams figured out the map early...that just means they would save time at the statue of liberty. But to make them not even look...well, it reeks a bit.

By the way: I still don't know how the Browns passed the swimming challenge in the first episode...did they just get a pass?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
You can never tell how long anything really takes due to the editing, but it was my impression that Air Force saw the Statute of Liberty right away. Of course you are correct about Miss USA, as they never really saw the replica, but only noticed it on a postcard after they had given up looking from the observation deck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks