What's new

Treadmill experience and advice? We're looking at them... (1 Viewer)

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
Hi Guys,

We're looking at treadmills. We're in a small town, and the local rec center only has 2, and they're jammed. (they also have 2 nice ellipticals, but they don't feel comfortable, and some recumbent bikes, but I really like treadmills, especially in winter.) We've been looking at Sears' web site, since they seem to be the treadmill dealer! Does anyone have any advice on extended warranty plans (do treadmills die often?) and brand/level advice? I'm trying to not break a grand. Actually, hopefully much less. But it's hard to compare apples to oranges if one shows peak hp and another continous hp (Amplifier ratings, anyone?) Are used treadmills an option, or are they likely to be burnt and worn out?

Thanks!

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator
Do you plan on running on the treadmill? If so, make sure it can take the weight.

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator
Cheap treadmills are a waste of time and money. If you can stretch your budget a little, go for a used Precor 960-series if possible.

Stefan A

Second Unit
I decided not to get a treadmill when I realized I would have to spend over $1000 to get one that was of decent quality. You have got to try them and make sure the motor doesn't slow under your weight. If you are used to health club quality treadmills, and want that kind of "heft", you will spend a fortune. Consumer level treadmills just are not as good.

In my experience with home exercise equipment, it ends up not getting used in the longrun. Good luck with selection and use.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
You definitely have to spend pretty big money to get a decent treadmill you can run on. The Precor suggested above is very good. Ultimately I came to the decision that you could get an elliptical trainer of good quality much cheaper than a treadmill and its low impact.

Patrick

HienN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hien
If you are serious about using it (other than as a coathanger :)) I suggest getting either a Precor, or a True, or a Vision Fitness which in my opinion is similar in quality but a bit lower in price. Their web site is: http://www.visionfitness.com/ You may be able to get decent discounts at Christmas time.

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
My brother recently purchased one(I believe a proform from sears about $700 on sale) and soon took it back. He wanted it for running. Within a few weeks the belt started slipping and was unable to adjust any furhter(pretty dangerous when your at a full stride and the belt stops). Called in for a repair and they came out in a few days to fix it. The repair man told him that they couldnt handle the stress of a runner and he would have to come back every couple of weeks for repair (at about $90 a pop). So he fought with Sears ands took it back.

Bill

ryan_x

Stunt Coordinator
i find the ones at the gym I go to to break down a lot...there's always at least one out of commision...and those are the top of the line ones...if I were to get one for home it would be a manual one...costs less...and wont cost you a firtune when you need to repair it.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Go with a well built Elliptical, much better for the knees and you get just as much of a workout. Plus no electricity to worry about.

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator
I own a Precor. Its a very solid machine and I would recommend one anyday. Try finding one of last years models if you're on a budget.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
I just started using a treadmill this week. We have a brand new gym where I work and it's been outfitted very well. The treadmills are all Life Fitness models, they're commercial grade and very well built. Maybe you could find a used one locally..

We have elliptical trainers, too, but I know a couple of people that prefer the treadmills. Try them both out. The ellipticals have some advantages.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
My parents bought a SportCraft treadmill at Dick's over the Thanksgiving holiday for $200 on sale. It was regularly $350. They have been very pleased with it. I tried it while I was there over the holiday weekend, and it is quite good for the money. None of us tried running on it, and my parents have no plans to do so. For their purposes, which is simply walking when it is too cold outside, it is perfect. It has adjustable speeds up to 10 mph and an adjustable incline up to 10 degrees.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I should mention that the treadmill my parents bought is probably a discontinued model given the savings. Either that or Dick's never sold it for $350.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
my thousand dollar treadmill makes a pretty good coatrack in the front hall:frowning: Don't know what it is about home exercise equipment but any I have ever bought, seem to collect dust...
good luck
dan

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
Right now we're looking at the Smooth Fitness treadmills: most probably the 5.0 series (we're walkers at this point, and the budget is right.) They look very good, and all the reviews I can find are very positive. I like the fact that they are a small company, they describe every part of the unit in detail (I'm an engineer, I like that) and they don't try to sell sizzle. We'll let you guys know what happens if we get one... Check them out www.smoothfitness.com

HienN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hien
One thing you should also consider is a heart rate monitor, either built in the machine or separate from it. The type that you strap across your chest is most accurate, preferred over the grip type or the ear-lobe type.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks