What's new

TravisMc & The SVS Gang (1 Viewer)

Kenny Booth

Stunt Coordinator
I bought an SVS sub about a year ago and at first I was not all that impressed. I made the mistake of saying so on this forum and I was punched, kicked, shot, stabbed, run over, insulted, and ridiculed by almost everyone except---Ron & Tom.
The reason I was not all that impressed is because of all of your post about SVS. I had expectations that no sub in the world could fill. So just maybe Travis's disappointment is a result of this forum. I swear I think some of you guys have sex with your sub.
My advice would to deal with Tom & Ron direct (e-mail) and not on this forum.
I did and I recommend SVS 100%

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Well said Kenny, I will agree with you!

I have a Velodyne CHT-15 and if you go by what SOME (not all) say on this forum, the SVS subs will walk all over it and there will be no contest etc etc. So you would think WOW it must really rock. But I then demoed a pair of 25-30's or whatever the model is, yes 2 and well they may have been better, it would have taken a lot more listening and comparing side by side to tell. The svs was great, but it doesn't walk all over everything. It walks all over a lot of subs for sure. But there are other subs that perform very well. The Servo-15 for example is great, and the HSU VTF3 as well. All around the same price.

TravisMc

Stunt Coordinator
Ahh, someone finally understands.

As impressionable as I am, When people made the comments about the SVS that they did, it blew my mind....

I suppose I should learn that lesson now, Never base a decision like this on anyone else's opinion, because, it's their opinion......

Don't get me wrong, the SVS grows on my more and more, but It is not the Sub killing machine everyone makes it out to be, this, is for sure...

However, Im looking forward to that B4...

Christopher M

Stunt Coordinator
I read lots and lots of reviews of the SVS before I bought one. I kept thinking to myself "its gonna be good, but it can't be THIS good" This is my first real sub, and it met my expectations fully. I always knew in the back of my mind though that a lot of whats on here is hype, and to take it with a grain of salt.

Murdock
20-39PC+ Owner (1 week tomorrow)

Adam Horak

Stunt Coordinator
I think the problem with TravisMC's thread was the tone in which it was written. It completely insulted SVS, after which we find out that he was not able to set it up correctly. It was an immature way to approach the problems he was having.

I have seen many posts in this forum where people state that they prefer other subs over SVS. The vast majority of these posts are treated with respect. When someone comes in and makes insulting and misinformed comments, people will get defensive.

It became clear in TravisMC's thread that he did not know how to properly set up the sub. That is fine. Beginners in HT should be encouraged to come here and ask questions. They should not come here and make baseless and insulting remarks about products that they do not know how to properly use.

That said...
There is somewhat of a double standard here. TravisMC's post was put down quite a bit. A similar post about Bose would be applauded, even if they werent setup correctly.

Sebastian

Second Unit
I agree with Adam. Travis post was uncalled for. Everyone was defending SVS because he publicly insulted the company.

Actually the lesson you should have learned is know what the heck you are talking about before you post a thread like you did.
Think next time before you type and please choose your words carefully.
A more appropriate thread should have been like this:
Newbie here, My SVS sub is not as loud as I want it to be. Please help me out. Is what I am expecting asking too much?

Good luck with the rest of your system.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Apples, oranges and orangutangs...that is what is being discussed here. Do some research and anyone will find that SVS subwoofers put out more db than just about any commercially available home subwoofer available. And they sound good to boot. You simply CANNOT compare the kind of levels you get in a car to what you get in your home. It's quite simple really...SPL = Sound Pressure Level. It is easier to pressurize a smaller space...period. Feel free to prove me right. Take that sub that is pounding out 150db in your car and put it in your living room and see what happens. Be sure to calibrate first and have your SPL meter handy.

Another invalid comparison:

There is somewhat of a double standard here. TravisMC's post was put down quite a bit. A similar post about Bose would be applauded, even if they werent setup correctly.
Well, one is a good product...the other is not.

Adam Horak

Stunt Coordinator
Well, one is a good product...the other is not.
Hey I agree that SVS makes a much higher quality product than Bose. But I still dont think it is appropriate to make the kind of post that Travis did about any product. It was uninformed and inflammatory post. I don't care what product it is. I would much rather see someone give some reasoning behind there opinion and do it in a intelligent way.

"xxxx Sucks!!!" threads dont do anyone any good if there is nothing behind that opinion to substantiate it.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
I see what you mean now, Adam. Give some reasoning about why such a product is bad...yeah, makes sense. Sorry for the confusion.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Well fellas Technicaly he was right.. SVS Subs DO SUCK
(when the cone moves inward...) and they BLOW (when the
cone moves outward..)

And if we *REALLY* want to split hairs.. It doesn't suck
but rather air is pushed inward when the outward air pressure
is lowered...

Err sumptin like that... :D

Travis Proved to me what kind of person he is by his posts
and it's going to be HARD for him to shun off his new found
rep amongst the likes of the knowledgeable (Like Dan....)

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
and it's going to be HARD for him to shun off his new found rep amongst the likes of the knowledgeable (Like Dan....)
No, not really...it didn't take me too long to change my mine about you, Brett. :D I'm sure you recall your thread about the MB Quart driver. :laugh:

All it would take would be a little bit of desire to understand...so far it would seem that this quality is lacking. But once it shows up, then it's all good. I'm really only quasi-knowledgeable. But it is the people like you and I and many more of us here who are willing to learn that guys like ThomasW, Greg Monfort, Mark Seaton, etc... will be more receptive to.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Dan,

There is more than a slight difference between me and Travis.

I knew the MB-Q Driver wouldn't work (the sims said it would
not work and you all reinforced that) But I had altierior
motives for purchasing the driver anyway.

I knew I could easily resell that driver to some inexperianced
car audio newb who would much rather have a $90.00 name brand
speaker rather than something like a Volfenhaggie..

I resold the driver and made money.... But I never not once
took the advice of the elders as "wrong" It just didn't
matter because I had other plans :)

I will agree though I had NO idea you could buy drivers like
the AV-12 as affordably as what you can.. That was a learning
experiance because I have done numerous car audio installs
and always used "car audio" drivers and you DO pay for the
flash.....The Logos.. Etc..

But I have known what T/S Parameters mean, for a decade or
more, I never guessed at box construction. So there is nothing
in common between what I did, and what Travis is doing!

:D

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
There is more than a slight difference between me and Travis.
Sure, I know that now...but I didn't have much to go on at that time. :) I was only making the point that I'm not old and stubborn yet. :emoji_thumbsup: But I try to give most people the benefit of the doubt. Travis may yet come around. And by "come around" I don't mean that he'll like the kind of bass most of us here like. I only mean that he'll realize the difference in applications, understand what it takes to design a subwoofer a certain way and how to recognize a quality driver, and finally to know how to better identify what it is that he is looking for and then how to go about getting it.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Dan,

We can only hope right?

And as far as knowledge is concerned.... I just wish I
could do a Vulcan Mind Meld with ThomasW my god would it
be so amazing to know what he knows.. And yes Mark Seaton
and many, many others!

The difference is the willingness to learn. I love to learn
and when I am wrong, I am wrong. I won't defend my poor
choices to the 9th degree :)

Willem Vos

Stunt Coordinator
I swear I think some of you guys have sex with your sub.
There's a big difference between hugging and having sex! (or so I'm told) :D

Seriously, I have to agree with both sides on this one. This forum CAN sometimes lead someone to have unrealistic expectations, but on the other hand, experience should tell you to weigh carefully someone else's opinion.
One person's miracle can be another person's disappointment. Just don't start screaming if it turns out that way :)

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
I would much rather see someone give some reasoning behind there opinion and do it in a intelligent way.
Have you read any of the Bose sucks threads. I have found that the post are very intelligent and most provide hard facts to back up their claims. ie construction, sales techniques, demo set up, etc. And most people on this forum would not let anyone get away "this suck" thread without any backup to prove it. Bose does not get trashed because it is the cool thing to do it is because the facts point to an overpriced poor quality product.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
Everyone was defending SVS because he publicly insulted the company.
So it perfectly ok for "us" to publicly insult in return?

I think it perfectly ok for someone not to like SVS or any other product that the rest of the whole wide world seems to covet. And if he felt like bashing the product, so what! The SVS guys handle nay sayers like a hot knife through butter. I just don't believe the mean-spirited brand of rebuttal we sometimes offer is warranted. Adam has already commented on 180 degree turn in opinion if the subject was Bose.

btw, I own 4 SVS subs: Dual CS-Ultra combo and 2 20-39s and read the comments, disagreed with his opinion and felt absolutely no need to bash him about it.

He is entitled to his opinion and just because it is different from mine does not mean something is wrong with him

.......other than he must have gotten his SVS out of the back of a white van. ;)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Bill,

YES he is entitled to his opinion I agree.. But he said the
sub SUCKS well I don't even own one and I KNOW that is not
true. He doesn't even know how to set the freaking thing up!

He doesn't know how to properly wire things, he doesn't
read manuals, he acts like he thinks he knows what he is
talking about, but he does not..

He comes over to the DIY forum and starts talking about how
there is no home audio sub that can compete with an Audio-Bahn
Sub... Why? We asked.. He can't say because he doesn't KNOW..

Instead his rebuttle was "Well I mean c'mon it can handle
like a BILLION WATTS!" (Loosely quoted, using a Dr.Evil Voice)

I don't care if he wasn't happy with the "performance" of
the SVS that's one thing... But atleast CALIBRATE the
whole system before passing judgement..

He just doesn't know what he's doing and doesn't seem willing
to listen to anyone who tries to reason with him.

If he doesn't like what I have to say then tough it's my
opinion (three can play that game..)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks