1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Traveling To UK, Via Iceland Late February 2016: Universal Adapter/Carry On Luggage Questions

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Tony Bensley, Jan 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

It's been many years since I have been asked to turn on any of the electronic devices I travel with -- and I can only recall being asked once or twice for a laptop or a camera. I do have everything charged whenever I bring it along, but that's just because I want to be able to use whatever I bring, whether it's a phone, tablet, iPod, Kindle, digital SLR camera, etc.

I doubt you will have any issue with your phone even if security does decide to inspect it, as long as it works.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  2. 22 Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    That's what I gleaned from the broken tablet posting. I wonder whether he was ultimately successful in transporting and having it fixed? Replacement seems to end up being the best option most times, anyway. More than likely, I'll end up using our Son's newer would be trade-in HTC Android, but on the off chance he doesn't get around to reformatting it in time for our trip, it's nice to know that I don't have to be stuck using a slightly older LG device, whose somewhat obsolete WiFi capabilities are a bit dodgy, to say the least!

Thankfully, my lingering cough seems to have largely abated, which is really good timing, as I'll be stopping in at our GP's office this afternoon to pick up my medical documentation.

T Minus 5 Days! :)

CHEERS! :)

3. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Earlier this afternoon, I picked up my complete list of medications that I use regularly. As it happens, our Doctor wasn't present at the time, but while I was waiting for my receipt, he did call to inquire whether I had picked it up.

At suppertime, I had some trouble with one of my Novo Pens in administering my Insulin dosage, which turned out to be on account of a faulty Novo Twist Needle! I'm just going to have to be sure to carry on that much extra backup for our upcoming overseas trip. A bit of a PITA, but so it goes! Novo Nordisk hasn't been the same since they changed their line of Pens and Needles a few years back. As far as I'm concerned, ALL of their Needle and Pen types should play nicely together (Especially since Insulin dependent Diabetics lives depend on it!), but that isn't the present reality, I'm sad to say! :(

4. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    On a lighter note, I've reached the stage of checking next week's weather forecasts for Norwich and London, England. Apart from patchy rain in Norwich on Tuesday, it's looking like mostly cloudy skies with temperatures in the upper 40s - low 50s Monday through Thursday. It's still better than the massive load of snow we currently have in North Bay, which should finally begin to melt a bit this weekend, as temperatures are finally expected to climb above freezing for the first time since early December.

As for Sunday's weather, it looks favorable for the midday drive to Toronto, and for the flight out of Pearson Sunday evening! :)

T Minus 4 Days! :)

5. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Earlier today, I picked up our check-in luggage:
    IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    The time stamp isn't quite accurate. 16:55 would have been more correct.

T Minus 3 Days! :)

6. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    It's getting really close! I did the online check-in for our departing Icelandair Flight a little while ago, which from where we are, can be done up to 36 Hours prior to the scheduled departure time. I'm also keeping tabs on our Icelandair Flight 602 (Which is a Boeing 757-200 Twin-Jet), in case of any significant delays (Heaven forfend!), and also for the fun of it! :D

The only slight downside is that after our son arrived here early this afternoon, he realized that he left the Heathrow - Norwich Rail Tickets in Sudbury, so we'll have to leave a bit earlier tomorrow to pick them up at his place. I say only slight downside, as the highway to Toronto from Sudbury is somewhat nicer than from North Bay. The weather is also supposed to be Sunny and Mild, which should make for a pleasant drive to Pearson International Airport!

T Minus 1 Day!! :) :)

7. 27 Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Happy travels!

I hope your trip goes as smoothly as our flight to Myrtle Beach last week. Both my wife and I were randomly selected for TSA Pre-checked. Since we were also carrying on all our luggage, we made it through the airport lines in a record time of about 5 minutes. On the return flight, though, lady luck caught up with us a little, as our flight was delayed by 90 minutes leaving Myrtle Beach.

You win some, you lose some.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  8. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    As I hadn't updated my Avi since the Summer of 2012, it just seemed apropos to use a photo taken on our recent Father & Son UK Trip. Since these do tend to get changed periodically, I've also uploaded it to this post for posterity (Or at least until something renders it unviewable, LOL! ;) )

Selfie Taken At London's Heathrow Airport, Monday February 20, 2017 At Around 2:30 PM-ish:
    IMAG0067.jpg

Will try and post a few more photos at some point!

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  9. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Here's a list of long term changes, which transpired as a result of our recent Father & Son UK Trip:

Instead of delaying my main meals in the event of High Blood Sugar readings, I now use a few units of fast acting Toronto Insulin whenever they are in the cautionary high range. I've also grown very tired of having to tell my wife no to pasta because of too high a reading. Despite my protests to the contrary, there is simply no good way around the fact that cooking pasta for one really doesn't work out very well. Now, we no longer have to worry about this!

Again, this relates to my diabetes. I've found that Frio packs are an Insulin dependent diabetic's best friend. These things keep Insulin cold for days, which is especially good for my recently introduced Fast acting Insulin, that I nevertheless fully expect to go bad long before I use anything close to 300 units.

My Son and I were able to meet a fellow that I had long been Facebook friends with! For me, the best part of meeting the lovely Heath family, is that not only myself, but Kyle also really bonded with them, especially Dave! For all the sights and people that we experienced, our Thursday evening with them is what I'll always remember most fondly of our first trip to England, and there were many!

I'm not sure whether these will play if not logged into Facebook, but here are the links to a 12 minute highlight video, and a one minute clip of our landing at London's Heathrow International Airport. It's hard to believe that was two weeks ago!

https://www.facebook.com/kyledbensley/videos/vb.1343702012/10211739648790399/?type=2&theater

https://www.facebook.com/kyledbensley/videos/vb.1343702012/10211736927842377/?type=2&theater

10. 30 Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Here's 2 Shots Of Me At The Famous Abbey Road Crossing, Taken February 23, 2017! I Was Actually Wearing My LET IT BE T-Shirt At The Time! :)

IMG_20170223_160718.jpg

00017IMG_00017_BURST20170223160722_COVER.jpg

Sitting On A Bench Just After My Abbey Road Crossing. "The Beatles Crosswalk" Is Just Down The Stretch On My Right!
    IMG_20170223_161003.jpg

nara likes this.
  11. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Crossing The Famous Abbey Road (In A Revamped, Slightly Rearranged GIF!) At 4:07 PM, On February 23, 2017! :)

Anthony Bensley Crossing Abbey Road February 23 2017 .gif

12. 32 Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Before Crossing Abbey Road, Our Son Kyle And I Made The Pilgrimage To Bensley Road, Which Is 1 Of 2 Streets In Norwich, England That Bear Our Surname, Bensley Close Being The Other, That We Unfortunately Did Not Have Time To Visit This Time Around! I Have No Idea Which Of Our Norfolk County Ancestors Bensley Road Was Named After, But As Bensley Isn't Exactly Near Par With Smith Or Jones, There Might Be Some Hope In Regards To Research! ;)

IMG_20170221_214956.jpg

IMG_20170221_214949_1.jpg

As Should Be Clear In These Photos, Bensley Road Isn't Exactly Among Norwich's Main Arteries! It Appears To Be A Nice Quiet Street, However! :)

IMG_20170221_214924.jpg

Bensley Road is fairly typical of Norwich's street signs, in that they tend to be rather low to the ground, which made finding the various streets of this beautiful little city a slight challenge. This would never work in North Bay, where during the winter months Snow Banks often stand higher than the Picket Fencing, as seen along the Bensley Road!

nara likes this.
  13. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    A Few More UK Photos....

The 1st London Underground Tube Train Our Son And I Boarded (The Piccadilly Line To Cockfosters) At Heathrow Airport (Terminal 2), February 20, 2017. We De-boarded Near Liverpool Station, Minding The Gap Between The Train And The Platform! :) :
    IMG_20170220_144321.jpg

London Liverpool Station, Where We Boarded The Greater Anglia Line Bound For Norwich:
    IMG_20170220_160033.jpg

The Greater Anglia Line, Which We Took To Norwich, February 20, 2017 (At London Liverpool Station):
    IMG_20170220_161737.jpg

Kyle And I Outside Norwich Station, February 20, 2017, At About 6:30 PM:
    IMG_20170220_183308.jpg

nara likes this.