What's new

Traveling to San Diego (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Spradley

Stunt Coordinator
I will be travelling to San Diego in about 10 days, staying for 6 nights. I was hoping to get suggestions on absolute must do's while I am there. My only free time will be after 5 M-F and Sunday the 9th afternoon (I arrive around noon). I am staying North of downtown near Sorrento and Miramar, I believe that is the name of the area. Any help on getting around the city, things to do, places to eat (enjoy a good beer), etc. would be nice.

Everybody I have talked so far has said San Diego is just an amazing city.

Oh yeah, trips to Tijuana are out of the question. I don't think I should take a rental car down there.

Thanks,
Kevin

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Kevin...

You..belong..in..the..zoo...

(actually I think that was an ad for the S.D. Zoo back in the 80s...not sure, but my brother and I still tell each other it to this day).

Anyway...go to the Zoo, and plan on taking your time there.

Kevin_Spradley

Stunt Coordinator
I thought about Balboa Park and the Zoo, but based on their winter hours, I would only be able to visit the park for about 3 hours on Sunday. Is that enough time to really see the zoo and the park? and is it worth the admission fee for only 3 hours.

Any suggestions for restaurants and/or bars, not neccessarliy clubs, just a cool place to shoot pool, drink some good beer and hangout. I know the gaslamp district is loaded with places, but advice as to which ones to visit and which ones to avoid.

How is public transit? I need to check the stops in relation to my hotel, but it is up near Sorrento and I do not think the bus goes up there, or the MTS or whatever it is called.

As a generalization, how are the people in the gaslamp?

Thanks for all the advice already, any more would definitely be helpful especially from HTF members who live in San Diego.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I saw about 2/3's of the zoo in the 3 hours I had alloted for that portion of my trip this summer and while I had to have a quick pace I still felt I got my moneys worth...its an amazing place!

You also should goto the gas light district and Old town for some excellent food and drink. If you are into golf Torrey Pines isn't too far away and the state park was worth visiting for the scenery alone (and not just the babes on the beach!)

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I live in Oceanside, about 40 miles from San Diego. Welcome to America's Finest City!!! There really aren't many places in the Gaslamp quarter to avoid. The place is truly amazing. The food is great, the drinks are great, the nightlife is great.......in short, San Diego is a fantastic place to visit. The whole vicinity around Horton Plaza mall is rife with restaurants, pubs, cafe's and the like. One of my favorites is Croce's. The late Jim Croce's wife runs it and his son often performs as do many outstanding local musicians. While you're at it, you might want to come north and visit the Oceanside/Carlsbad North County area. We have a lot to offer in the form of entertainment. Pick yourself up a travel packet for California from AAA or off the Internet and it will show you all the pertinent information you need to know about San Diego. The San Diego Trolly runs downtown and the outlying areas and is a very reliable and cheap form of transportation while in San Diego. The area around Petco Park is also to be seen as it has transformed the downtown area amazingly. Enjoy your stay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks