Travel & Hotel advice for trip to Paris & Munich in October

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Cassy_w, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Cassy_w

Cassy_w Second Unit

Hi gang. OK, I am a poor working girl who needs to fly to Europe next month. Specifically, late October flying out of JFK to Paris for four days, then off to Munich, Germany for another four or five.

Priceline.com does not seem to allow for package hotel and airfare searches when there are two destinations. I have to search hotel and airfare separately. [​IMG]

So far it seems I can find round trip airfare for just under $1400.

3 star hotels in Paris go for $124 to $200 a night, with most under $155.

3 star hotels in Germany are about the same.

These are compare rates, not name your own price rates.

I've never been out of the country before and am very nervous about all of this. Frankly, I am not sure what to do. Going to a travel agent would undoubtedly raise the price of the trip by hundreds of dollars. Or would it?

Can anyone give this poor gal some advice? I'll be traveling alone, but meeting friends in Paris and also in Germany. No, I cannot stay with them to save money.

I have a passport.

Thanks!!!

2. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

Cassy:

One thing you did not specify is how much you want to spend on hotels per night and what type of hotel. Normally, the more stars, the more expensive but stars are not everything. I've been to some delightful 2 stars and horrible 4 stars.

I've been to both cities numerous times and used a number of travel sites to compare prices. You should do the same.

I was in Paris last November and stayed at a decent hotel called the Hotel des Trois Colleges. They have their own web site here. It is a 2 star but it was very convenient and located on the Left Bank and close to the Metro.

For all my travel in Germany, I usually used the German Railway's website here. Look at the hotels link on the right side. Most my trips to Munich I've stayed at a Best Western properties. Reasonable prices and breakfast included.

Good luck.

3. Cassy_w

Cassy_w Second Unit

Thanks, Michael. I am looking for 3 star hotel quality.

And I spoke to a travel agent this afternoon. What she told me was surprising. Basically, I may save money going through her. It's an option I will research.

Anyone else with advice is welcome to post here. [​IMG]

4. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I would fly into Paris and take the train.

--
    H

5. Michael Harris

Travel agents sometimes have access to info that can't be found on the web and it may be worth a fee. When I lived in Spain, I almost always used a travel agent. One thing you may want to do is conduct some web reasearch and bring the results to your agent. See if they can do better.

Taking the train is fun. The average time from Paris to Munich via Cologne is about 8 hours 40 minutes with one change. Don't know if you want to spend that kind of time.

One thing you have going for you is that it is off season. In both cities you'll find it very easy to get around. If you any specific questions about those cities or travel in general, just send a PM.

6. Cassy_w

Cassy_w Second Unit

Thanks guys. The train from Paris to Munich is now something I am very seriously considering. First class cabin, of course. [​IMG] I meet with my travel agent Tuesday morning.

7. Michael Harris

You will have to write up a trip report upon your return.[​IMG]

8. Cassy_w

Cassy_w Second Unit

Oh yes. Count on it. [​IMG]

9. Oliver Kopp

Oliver Kopp Stunt Coordinator

Oliver
    If you`re still looking for hotel informations you may want to take a look at the following two sites.

Hotel.de

Tourisline.de