What's new

Travel agency policies??? (1 Viewer)

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I am planning a honeymoon in Italy. I have been pleased with the advice and recommendation from the travel agency I am using. This travel agency (the first time I have ever used a travel agency) does not itemize the bill. We are being asked to pay for the total cost of the trip, but we aren't being told the cost of each item.

I have looked at the itenerary from our agent and added up costs for hotel, airfare and rental car from published travel guides and various web sites. The only cost I wasn't able to find is the fee for a tour guide in Florence. We will have a personal tour guide for about 8 hours, so I estimate about $200. After adding up the cost, there is about $1,500 of my money that is unaccounted for. How much do travel agents make? I thought they got kickbacks from the hotels and airlines for booking?

I should also note that I found the airfare and I called the travel agent to let him know that he should buy our tickets at $400 cheaper than his estimate. He purchased the tickets while I was on the phone and I know the exact cost. Of course, when he sent the bill, there was no adjustment made for the cheaper airfare. I called him and he agreed to lower it, but asked me to adjust the bill by hand.

This agency and particular agent came recommended from my fiancee's boss. What should I do? I feel like he is taking advantage of us.

Michelle Schmid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michelle Holloway
I don't know about travel agencies in general, or honeymoon packages with inclusives, but when I made travel arrangements for business purposes for the entire staff at our field station, I was told the cost of everything separately, and items were billed as such (but it was a Federally contracted agency--I think they had to do this).

Maybe he upgraded hotel/rental car for more space, romance, etc.? Plus, published fares aren't always available on the dates of a particular trip. Blackout dates, previous bookings, conventions, and the like can force a higher cost than you think. Are things like food and entertainment included? That can add up quickly and would need to be estimated to some extent. Depending on the length of the trip $1500 may not be too unreasonable if it's for the above types of things.

Did you call the agent and ask him specifically to itemize? Has he refused? If he's refused I'd think that a bit odd and maybe check some other agencies for comparison purposes. If they're all in the same general area, take it and have a great trip!

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
He has refused to itemize the bill. I will be getting an estimate from another company and see what the differences are.

Thanks for the advice.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I would feel better if he came out and said, "I charge $500 for my services." It just seems like any time you mention the words "wedding" or "honeymoon," the prices go up.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
He has refused to itemize the bill.
He is shady, and likely a creep. Take your business elsewhere. Furthermore, do not feel like you "owe" him any money. Even if he has made the reservations, you are not obligated to pay him one red cent until you are happy with his services. If he threatens you, tell him to screw off and go find yourself a different agency.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks