What's new

Trash those clunky separates - the iPod Hi-Fi is here :^( (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Even with a cheap $50 boombox, most of the music *is* present, it's just that is not an exact copy of what's on the studio master tape. But a listener's imagination has the potential to ignore this inaccuracy & can make up the rest that's missing. If this weren't true, books featuring fictional stories wouldn't be nearly as popular as they have been all these centuries.....and that boombox is literally supplying the listener with WAY more real-world information than any book possibly can.

So even when all I have access to is an AM radio, I can still enjoy the music - if that wasn't so, many of my lunch breaks at numerous jobs during college would have been really sucky!!

As I mentioned above, when I used my knuckles to test the Hi-Fi's physical solidity, it turned out to be nearly non-resonant on ALL sides, actually better than the majority of conventional speakers in the $350 range. Plastic can easily be formulated to absorb most vibrations and internal braces can be included in the box's molding process. And I'm not an Apple groupie, but just based on Steve Job's past accomplishments, I don't believe he would sell any truly substandard product.

So just to be clear here: for this type of product, IMO the Hi-Fi sounds very good. And if we're lucky, it may serve as a stepping-stone product to a full-fledged audio system for its owners. Or maybe we'll eventually see *Apple* component gear mixed with Pioneer and H/K's equipment at the local A/V store!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
As the owner of CDs and real 2-speaker stereo stuff I'm clearly not the target market for this product. But if I were said target consumer I would still spend $50 more and get the Klipsch iFi. Why? Becuase I get 2 real speakers, yes I get to experience Stereo for my listening pleasure. Sure its not portable, but guess what? You already need an iPod to make the HiFi work at all! Portability secured!

Joey_V

Second Unit
I could go about this in 2 ways - I could be snobby or I could be realistic.

The snobby part of me says: The HiFi is boatload of white shiny garbage that isnt worth 1/5 its asking price.

The more realistic part of me says: The HiFi sounds better than any of the single unit iPod speaker systems around (excluding the Klipsch iFi, but including the Bose SoundDock and Klipsch iGroove)... by a good margin, too.

Do I think HiFi is worth it? At the price they're selling all the other iPod speaker docks... sure!

Will it replace my $15K system? No.

For who it's marketed for, the HiFi is a worthy system.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Hmm. just pulled the trigger on the b&w dm303. 72Hz -- 30 kHz. I'm thinking that frequency specs aren't everything. But, maybe if I actually listen to the iPod Hifi, the audiophile scales will fall from my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks