What's new

Trash those clunky separates - the iPod Hi-Fi is here :^( (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
If this thing sells even slightly as well as the iPod, us knuckle-dragging component fans are in for some major flak from the Hi-Fi's owners:

Apple Hi-Fi

Looks like a hi-end boombox to me, though I'll admit based on Apple's attitude I bet - for what it is - it sounds pretty good. And it (sort of) has multiroom capability.

Though for $350, you could buy a 50watt/channel Onkyo stereo receiver and a small pair of decent quality 5" woofered (is that a real word? :) ) bookshelfs which I bet would easily outclass the Hi-Fi's sound.....but then again, you can't take such a system with you.

BTW: anybody else think the styling of this thing sort of looks like something from the set of 2001: A Space Odyssey?

brendy

Agent
From their site - 53hz to 16khz +/-3db.Only 3 speakers.Looks very "Bose-ish" to me,especially the way they promote it.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
must...force...fingers...to...push....correct...ke ys :D I have to admit, when it comes to user-friendly operation, most of Bose's gear IS very easy to set-up & use. Same with much of Apple's computer systems, so I'm not surprised the Hi-Fi shares a resemblance: plug iPod into Hi-Fi, grab remote and tada! you've got music.

And one thing the Hi-Fi thankfully DOESN'T share with Bose is the fact that Apple actually prints the frequency specs for this gizmo - IIRC Bose never does that for their speakers.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I think the 70s retro thing is almost played out but still think it has some life.

The Hi-Fi + this matching groovy TV from '72 from someone's basement = chic home theater. :)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Yeah, screams bose. If they're REALLY getting down to 53hz, they're using some sort of crazy 8th order triple reflex bandpass enclosure that is going to make the bass sound like flabby crap.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to see a review of the ipod hifi, vs that 50/watt onkyo. Feed the onkyo with an "airport", and compare which does a better job of rendering those mpeg4 files.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Guys, guys, guys. You're missing the point (at least, I think that is what's happening). :)

It doesn't matter if the Hi-Fi can't meet its low frequency spec.

It doesn't matter if the concept resembles another company's concept.

It doesn't matter that is uses full-range cone drivers.

What matters is that:

1) It is a product that works with the iPod and that it has the logo of the Apple Corporation on it.

2) it is very easy to use, just like the iPod.

3) relatively speaking it very probably sounds much better than the majority of its owners' home computer stock speakers (which seems to be how many people listen to their music at home nowadays :frowning: ).

4) it's inconspicuous (because everyone knows that the smaller the audio source, the better it is right? (IMO we can thank a certain Massachussetts speaker company for this urban myth :angry: ).

5) and, its portable (which isn't really a BAD thing exactly).

Those are mostly just my own opinions but one thing thta is a fact and that I had to make myself finally accept, is that most people no longer care to own a separates-based home audio system. And based on reports here and elsewhere, this attitude is partly based on this fast-paced lifestyle so many people involve themselves in these days i.e. they don't have time to sit down at home and listen to music for long periods so why waste $$ on a *good* system?

Trust me I don't like this trend anymore than any other audio enthusiast, but that seems to be today's reality.:frowning:

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Finally found the two articles my post above is partly based on (unfortunately they are both on subscriber-based sites hence the links to another forum where they're posted but I'm too chicken to repost them here :D):

"Over High-Fidelity, Companies
Attempt to Refocus on Sound" from the Wall Street Journal
(this is the better of the two)

"CEA Studies Consumer Demand For Sound Quality" from TWICE.com

I thought maybe the empty audio departments at Best Buy, Tweeter and even higher-end shops was just a Texas phenomena, but these depressing reports indicate it's happening everywhere.

Steve_Blazer

Stunt Coordinator
Well dang... just makes me want to abandon my plan for Rotel seperates and B&W 603s.....

Not.

Now I'm sure IT ( The 'iBose' in the link ) sounds 'OK' but can hardly compare to a proper system.

I'm not allergic to MP3s in the slightest (I wuv my Nano and SR60s) but for some serious listening only proper source & amplification coupled to some big quality speakers will do the music justice.

My $0.02

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Same here, but right now I can't afford a luxury item like an MP3 player (I need a new TV baaaaad).

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
With the lower standard should come lower quality speakers, good gear would undress the ipod for being a mediocre player that it is. :D

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Tonight at Best Buy I saw the Hi-Fi as I was leaving, but the store was already closed so could'nt listen to it. But I did give it a quick once-over and the first thing I noticed was how solid it was. I did the knuckle test on the sides and top & it was very solid. Then I picked it up - wow, for its size it was very heavy (there were no batteries inside and the amp is digital so no big power transformer). This is not the typically hollow/flimsy plastic boombox. I pulled the grill off and even it was nicely put together, with chromed metal attachment pins. And all three drivers used rubber surrounds.

I'll try to listen to it tommorow.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Lemmings Arise!
Follow quality down the tubes till we are back on par with the Edison Wax disc.
Remember morse code was digital!

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Calling most MP3 "high fidelity" is a crime in itself.

But the public has spoken. Sound quality is no longer the desirable factor in home audio. Sound portability is the selling point. And producers are mastering tracks so they sound good on iPods and earbuds.

Bad news for those of us who actually care how music sounds.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Got to hear this thing....a little.

I brought a couple CDs in case they had a portable CD player I could use as a source, but that was not to be (as I expected). So I had to listen to the store's iPod Nano. The salesperson didn't know what kbps rate the tracks were, so this added to the inaccuracy of this little listening test.

The first salesperson put on Micheal Jackson's "Thriller" but that was too much for me, so not knowing how to work the iPod ( :b I've never used one before)while the first employee helped a nearby customer I went over and got another & she helped me pick out another track. She rolled through the list & being in a sort of a hurry (they obviously didn't want to leave the iPod unattended) I spotted a track I knew well from the 80s that had a good range of sounds & told her "That one!"

So (hehe) me, her and the customers standing at the service desk all rocked out to "Always Something There To Remind Me" by Naked Eyes! (I own the self-titled album this track is on; though IMO "Promises Promises" was the better radio song). I was able to listen to most of the song and got a basic impression of the Hi-Fi's sound: with and without the Nano's "loudness" option activated, there was nice full bass from the dual-ported 5" woofer, vocals sounded fine and highs were quite clear & weren't grainy (though they were very directional due to the large 3" radiating surface). The Hi-Fi could also get very loud even in that large open space & many people were staring at us.

To be honest, I've heard "real" boomboxes that sounded nearly as good for 1/3 the price, but none of those were built as good. To me, while the Hi-Fi is not exactly high fidelity, it is something that feels like it will probably last a long while (& there are no moving parts) so it isn't really priced that high for what you get.

She said they have been selling very well, about seven(?) so far this week. I'm totally unsurprised.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Who wants to bet that there's a steel plate bolted to the bottom of the thing?

I think that the majority of folks wouldn't know decent sound if it reached out and slapped 'em on the butt...

A conversation from my living room....

"It's not loud enough!"

"What?"

"It's not loud enough!"

"It's just not distorted!"

"Huh? It's still not loud enough!"

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
to me music is about enjoyment. and if someone can enjoy a song on a cheap system more power to them cause they spent $50 at a garage sale and they are having just as much fun as you who just paid thousands and thousands for a system that you can't move from your house. are out on a beach somewhere having a blast with there boom box you are stuck in your fancy house. so if we can have fun with less money i say we win!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks