What's new

transporting live lobster (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I'm on the coast right now and I want to bring home a lobster (I live in the desert) to cook for the friend who watches my house while I'm gone. How long can they live out of water? I suppose you can't carry one on the plane so I'll have to wrap it in plastic and check it. What do I do with it after I arrive before cooking it? Is this a bad idea?

jeremy

KyleS

Screenwriter
Why not just get one when you arrive home? I would think that it would be more expensive to ship the thing then to buy it at a local market or Walmart Supercenter (if you have one).

KyleS

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I just cooked 2 the other night and it was $22. While fresh ones are much better, it seems like transporting that will be a pain in the ass.

Jamie Doucette

Stunt Coordinator
East coast? Canada? Halifax area?

They can live a couple days out of water, the shorter the better. Most places I've been to in the N.S. and N.B. areas that sell lobster can pack it for you. They usually pack it with sea weed and depending on they amount of lobster, usually in a nice carry on size box (some with handles too). Unless the rules have changed in the last year, you can carry your lobster on the plane as your carry on piece (in Canada at least).

If you do have to check it, make sure NO ONE can tell that it is live lobster, as they have a tendency of finding "new" owners. There is a good chance someone will take them on you.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
I suppose you can't carry one on the plane
You must not have been on a plane from the East coast before. ;)

I've seen way too many lobster plane packages in my time. They're often sold at the airports as well. They'll pack them in a carry case for you. I've not seen how the new high tech lobster scans are done, but they do have the claws in bands so maybe it's a combo manual and x-ray. :D

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
Right now I'm in Victoria. They're going to be on sale for half price, plus they're not always available at home. I'm not sure if they are at all, since I don't eat them. Right now I'm really leaning towards putting two of them in a zip lock and putting them in my checked suitcase.

jeremy

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
You do realize that you are supposed to have a current Health Certificate issued and signed by a Federally Accredited Veterinarian for any live animal to be transported on a passenger plane, don't you? And that failure to do so is a Federal offense?

The FBI will not be pleased, and if any baggage inspectors or handlers are injured by an angry crustacean, you may be held liable for criminal and civil charges.

Not to mention that the Department of Homeland Security has an advisory out right now for lobs-ter-rorists. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes if they catch you, no-sir-ree.

Oh, you live in Canada ? Nevermind.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
i know it's not funny, but i can't get this vision of a hijacker brandishing a lobster outta my head

PeteyG

Stunt Coordinator
Quote:
Right now I'm really leaning towards putting two of them in a zip lock and putting them in my checked suitcase.

Not that I've ever transported live lobsters on a plane before, but I would think this would be the least desired option - it will take weeks to get the smell out of your clothes!!!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Right now I'm really leaning towards putting two of them in a zip lock and putting them in my checked suitcase.
I'd think they'd surely die if you sealed them in a Ziploc. Don't they still breathe even though they're out of water? I'm not an expert on crustacean anatomy, but I thought lobsters, crabs, etc., could breathe both in and out of water.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
JUst DON'T put them in your pants:)

Ouch

Don't forget the ice!

We get live lobster all the time at work and they are ALWAYS packed in lots of ice!

Brent

Tim Fennell

Stunt Coordinator
We bought lobsters at Logan (Boston) airport and took them to France with us. They know how to pack them and will put them in a box with a handle to carry around. Very easy.

Tim

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Quote:
i know it's not funny, but i can't get this vision of a hijacker brandishing a lobster outta my head

It is funny. I was thinking the same thing.

(Ps Im not saying terrorists are funny, just the thought of using a lobster as a weapon is.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks