What's new

transparent vs. MIT (1 Viewer)

Herman S

Agent
I recently purchased a Sony 555ES SACD player. I have been using the cables included with the box and needless to say they are horrible. I have mainly Transparent brand cables in my system, however, their cheapest audio analog interconnect is $75 per pair. It hurts to think I would have to spend $225 on three pairs of cables when I don't listen to SACDs that much.

I went to another dealer that carries MIT cables and the salesperson swears that they are just as good as transparent, if not better or cheaper. He said I could bring in some of my Transparent cables (especially their $300 mid-level digital audio cable) and compare with the equivalent MIT models.

I am going to do the comparison in the near future, however, I wanted to know if there was validity in what the salesperson was claiming. What do you guys feel about Transparent vs. MIT ?

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Definatley take your dealer up on the comparison.

But, keep in mind, that there is a lot of MIT stuff that dealers are "clearing out of stock" on a continual basis.
Hell, audioadvisor has been clearing it out for 2 years, and counting.

No slam against MIT at all (heck, I've never used their stuff except for a RF video cable which was pretty good, but got cut when the builders did over my basement HT, oops !!).
And there are a lot of users of MIT out there who swear by their stuff.

Go listen, shop (with a return caveat on you part), and see what you think after a listen.
You just might be surprised. Never know.

Good Luck,
BOK

Hey Brian - While it's cool that the dealer will let you bring in your cables to compare, it won't really tell you how they'll sound in your system. Maybe ask to borrow some (I think most high-end dealers will lend cables out). Another option might be the Cable Company. For a fee, they'll let you audition cables at home, and I think the fee goes against the purchase price if you decide to keep them.
You can get to them at http://www.fatwyre.com
Also, you might be interested in this link
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/news...terconnect.htm
It's reviews of 2m cables from $122 to $250. If you can go with shorter lengths, it'll be cheaper, though maybe still not in your $$$ range. Still, it's worth a look.
Personally, I'm really happy with the Nordost line, but as you'll see by the reviews at the link - opinions vary on that one.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Greg,

Ooops .... You are correct. I re-read the post and was wrong in my assumtion that the dealer was offering a home trial of MIT.
A in-store comparison will tell one nothing about how they will sound at home.
Herman, ask to borrow the MIT for a week of in your room listening.
Carry on.......

BOK

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
There's a bit of background on MIT that while not germain, might be of some interest. At some time in the early 90's I think it was, MIT cables were said to have been made by Transparent which in turn got their wire from New England Wire up in NH. Some dispute this and say that Transparent merely marketed the wire which was designed by Bruce Brisson of MIT. I'd hazzard to guess that the truth is probably somewhere between the two. Also, long ago, both the owners of Monster and MIT worked together. Funny business this cable stuff!
Well MIT has a couple of patents out (read about them at delphion.com) that suggest the box is a low pass zobel filter presumably for those amps who may be prone to oscillation under certain conditions. Wouldn't happen to have a Spectral Amp now would you?

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
I believe your history is correct about MIT and Transparent Chu.
New England Wire, I believe, also makes the cables for Analysis Plus ( which I use for my mains and center).
Yeah, it is a big circle when it comes down to a cable manufacturer who has a design and needs a producer. It is a very small circle for the specialty designs, in particular.
And the MIT is a zobel type filter.

BOK

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
minimum order of 1000 feet in case you're interested. that would be for wire that's got some kind of sheathing on it. they do all kinds of neat stuff, just no OCC or 'single crystal'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks