Transparent (neutral) amps

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by scott cerv, Jul 31, 2002.

1. scott cerv

scott cerv Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking to be powering a Diva 6.1,4.1,c3 setup in a couple months so I want to go listen to some amps. Don't have it yet, but I will more than likely be using a 3802 until I find an amp and then use the preouts until I find a used AVM-20.
    As the Diva's are nice and laid back, I don't want a laid back amp. I'm possibly looking for something neutral, but it could also be slightly forward, slightly. In the future I might get the CDM9NT's as well so I'd like something that would complement them as well. Any suggestions?? I've taken a look at the reviews on the Sherbourn and that looks like a nice unit.
    SC

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

WARM: Krell, B&K, Rotel, Parasound, Conrad Johnson, Marsh Sound, Marantz and Denon Separate amps.
    NEUTRAL: Proceed, Mark Levinson, Krell FPB, LLano Design, Theta.
    BRIGHT: ATI, Outlaw, Adcom (multi channel), Bryston (brightston[​IMG]), Cinepro, Cinenova.
    These are some that come to mind that I have listened to. I dont have any experience with Sherbourn so I can't comment on it.
    Your best bet would be a Rotel. They have a slightly rolled upper end but not laid back like some of the other warm amps. Also Rotels mate well with B&W, so you should be set with your speaker upgrade too.
    Best of luck.

3. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug
    I'd add the Sherbourn 5/1500A to the neutral list. Mine was powering my Diva 6.1/C3/2.1 setup before I purchased different speakers and it sounded divine. They were a good match.

4. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Here are also a couple to add to your list:
    Odyssey Stratos: Warm
    Anthem: Neutral
    Norh Le Amp/ IRD MB100: Neutral/Bright
    Monarchy Audio: Neutral
    Acurus: Neutral/Bright
    PS Audio: Neutral/Warm