What's new

Transmission Problem or Fuel System - Need Some Auto Tech Advice. (1 Viewer)

Darren Crouse

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 1990 Toyota Celica GT with auto transmission. Lately I've been having problems with it stumbling when accelerating. It's starting to become real annoying. It would happen occasionally when it was cold outside but once it warmed up - no problems. Now it's starting to happen all the time. It only seems to be a problem when I accelerate, not when I'm in neutral and step on the throttle. When the car idles its quite steady and runs smooth but when it's in gear and I gas it (whether fast or slow) it starts to stumble. I thought it could be related to the fuel pump or a misfiring plug maybe even transmission. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New Year,
Darren.

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
I would start with the fuel filter if it hasn't been replaced in a while. The electric fuel pump on fuel injection systems can pump enough fuel through a clogged filter to make the car run but it is hard on the pump and will cause it to fail. The car may run fine under normal driving but will misfire under load (hard acceleration or pulling a steep hill).And it will gradually get worse. If there is no check engine light the problem is probably mechanical not electrical. If this is a DIY job I would also change the plugs, plug wires, air filter and distributor cap (if it has one) if they haven't been replaced in a while.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Darren,

Number one cause of this problem is poor ignition.

Pull out the plug wires and look down into the sparkplug tubes with a flashlight. If you see oil in there and/or the ends of the plug wires are oily you need to have the sparkplug tubes resealed.

If there's no oil in the sparkplug tubes, replace the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor. Get real Toyota parts at the dealership parts dept. Aftermarket stuff is junk.

The ignition coil built into the distributor is known to go bad on these also, but usually the symptom is no start on damp/cold mornings rather than cutout on acceleration.

Darren Crouse

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the input folks. I'm going to try to get it looked at today, it's driving me (no pun) insane.

-Darren.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks