Transmission Lines (nautilus clone)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Rich_P, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Rich_P

Rich_P Auditioning

I'd like to start modeling my B&W Nautilus clones. I will most likely be making a three way design, rather than the four way of the actual Nautilus. This will consist of the big spiral TL for the bass unit that will not contain a terminus. The mid and tweeter will also be TL, though with a terminus - which seems to be how the real things are set up, though there's some sort of additional mid. I've never done any sort of transmission line designs though, and i was hoping someone could point me to a good book or online resource that'll basically tell me everything i need to know to at least begin my design. I did a search here for transmission line and miraculously didn't come up with anything, and the books i have only speak of TL in passing - focusing on standard sealed and ported boxes instead.

Any reading material suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

2. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

3. Rich_P

Rich_P Auditioning

Thanks guys. I actually did see that thread there about the clone. I'm mostly in need of generic theory though - what frequency to use for the half wavelength, whether to line the walls AND stuff the line, whether the ending shape of the line matters, how large to make the initial mouth of the line (and how quickly i can reduce the cross section), whether cross bracing has any negative effects, etc. A lot of my questions are answered in articles that Thomas pointed me to. However, those are mostly quarter waves - i guess i can simply modify the same theory for half wave.

I wanted to just jump directly into fabrication using fiberglass (or a wood frame skinned with fiberglass), but now i'm starting to think it'd probably better to build a test line out of wood - as in that picture from the thread on building the clones that Tim pointed us to. It seems that TL is a little more trial and error than other types of enclosures, so i don't think it's going to be something i just model with AutoCAD or 3D Studio and have a final design.