What's new

Transformers Season 1 update (1 Viewer)

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
You knew I had to reply didn't ya :)
Check out the links in the sig and buy the comic to show that the original G1 eps are still and will always be the best.
And Dave....Starscream is the king, KING i tells ya :)
The guy who voiced him was also Cobra Commander, and he was one of the evil knights in "Visionaries", the yellow one i think, something-gore.
Now THAT's 80s!
edit:
Rumours abound that Peter Cullen is to voice Prime in the new show "Armada" (he was the original prime)
[geek hat off]

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Nice link there for the previews, Vince Y. I just wish they showed whatever the new cover art will be, instead of showing the cover art from the 1st VHS re-release done 2½ years ago! :)
Paul, as I watch Beast Wars Volume 2 (Canadian release) with my son, I can't help but feel that they lined up Terrosaur to be a Starscream wanna-be! :) I *did* hate that Starscream died in the movie; he was always fun for watching when Megatron played kick-the-can with his ass!
As for the voices, yeah I knew all of that. You missed mentioning Peter Cullen's voice in another favorite of mine, the original Voltron! He played 4 roles in that one, a trio in G.I. Joe, was Mario's voice in Donkey Kong (1983), did The GoBots, My Little Pony, Rainbow Brite, and these days is the voice of Eeyore in just about any Pooh show you can find! :D
He's also worked extensively with Frank Welker, "The Voice God" of Hollywood (Frank's got over 500 credits to his name, did you know that? :eek: ).

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
And on the show did you realize they changed Rumble and Frenzy. on the toys Rumble was the red one.

Or am I psychotic?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I didn't know that, because I never bought Soundwave or his add-on cassettes. Hmmm.
OTOH, in the film I think it was there's a scene where Soundwave ejects Rumble, Frenzy, Ratbat, and Ravage and they all fly to attack. But the flying scene shows 2 Frenzy's and no Rumbles! :)

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
As for the voices, yeah I knew all of that. You missed mentioning Peter Cullen's voice in another favorite of mine, the original Voltron! He played 4 roles in that one, a trio in G.I. Joe, was Mario's voice in Donkey Kong (1983), did The GoBots, My Little Pony, Rainbow Brite, and these days is the voice of Eeyore in just about any Pooh show you can find!
He's also worked extensively with Frank Welker, "The Voice God" of Hollywood (Frank's got over 500 credits to his name, did you know that? ).
As Wayne said to Alice Cooper in Wayne's World, "I was not aware of that" :)
Also, did anyone here the rumour that Hasbro may have been thinking about putting a small TF reissue toy on the side of the boxset, like bumblebee etc? :D That would be rather cool

JasonRH

Second Unit
Sean,

I bought the frenzy cassette and it was correctly, the red one, just like in the show.

p.s. just to reiterate - STARSCREAM RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Frank Welker was Megatron if I recall correctly :)
You do.
Frank also did:
  • Soundwave
  • Rumble
  • Frenzy
  • Ratbat
  • Laserbeak
  • Ravage
  • Mirage
  • Superion
  • Mixmaster
  • Skywarp
  • Wheelie (both in The Movie and afterward)
  • A Junkion in The Movie
  • Teletran 2 (taking over for Casey Kasem, who did Teletran 1's voice)
  • The post-movie Galvatron (Leonard Nimoy did Galvatron in The Movie)
  • ...and several others I just can't think of! :D
But to me, Frank Welker will always be Freddie "Scooby-Doo" Jones! ;)

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
Ah David, always on top of this topic, good man. Just got out of bed (midday over here) and thats some good news :)
Cheers

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
There was another thread posted which stated that the release date for the Season 1 box set was April 23rd.
Well, 1½ weeks later I *still* can't find info at either Rhino, Image, or any e-tailers, but at least DVDFile has now chimed in with this announcement:
More than meets the eye - 7:48pm
Just in from Rhino are a number of new April announcements, including a number of classic TV fare coming to DVD for the first time. 4/18 will see the release of The Transformers: Season One, a 4-disc set featuring all 16 episodes from the first season, presented in full frame and mono mastered off of a new digital transfer from the original 35mm elements. Extras include promo bumpers, outtakes, alternate sequences, an original Transformers series script, and a never-before-seen mini documentary from the Botcon 2001 Convention. In addition, each DVD boxed set includes two limited-edition animation cels. Retail is $49.95.
They also post Rhino news about Battle Of The Planets Volume 5 and Volume 6 (each with two uncut and remastered episodes presented in full frame, plus bonus episodes of "Gatchaman" and "G-Force"), Mystery Science Theater 3000 ("Red Zone Cuba" and "I Accuse My Parents"), and the seven-disc Gumby Collection! :)
Differences from the Transformers Season 1 announcement in the other thread are a week earlier and $10 cheaper, plus the bonus 2 animation cels! Otherwise, they pretty well match up, right down to the inclusion of the script.
I don't have anything more than that to offer this morning, but it seems like the latter half of April is definately the time and place to be! :D

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Frank [Welker] also did:

The post-movie Galvatron (Leonard Nimoy did Galvatron in The Movie)

...and several others I just can't think of!

Look at the credits for Star Trek III: The Search For Spock; Frank Welker did the voice of Spock screaming, too!

Anthony Liz

Stunt Coordinator
Actually David, the only thing I missed was the Animation Cels. DVD File is wrong on both the release date and the retail price. Press release was issued last night and it includes details about the VHS as well, including a $49.95 retail tag. The DVD is still $59.95. As for the release date, I have no idea where they got 4/18, but once again, the press release confirms a 4/23 release date.

Rhino also states Season 1 will also be available in 3 seperate discs for $19.95 each.

TRANSFORMERS SEASON 1 BOXED SET * SRP $59.95, 530 min

TRANSFORMERS SEASON 1 PART 1 * SRP $19.95, 125 min

TRANSFORMERS SEASON 1 PART 2 * SRP $19.95, 125 min

TRANSFORMERS SEASON 1 PART 3 SRP $19.95, 150 min

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm. If they put in the VHS price instead of the DVD price, then maybe they used the Pre-Order Date instead of the Street Date.

It wouldn't be the first time they've done that.

In fact, I had to send them a correction note about the price of the My-So-Called-Life 4-19 set when they published that recently. So they definately make mistakes there.

Keep in mind that I'm not looking to "challenge" your report. I'm just pointing out what others are saying. I'm extremely anxious for this release, and my son even more so!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Digital Bits is also confirming the 4/23 date now, although no mention of the price, but I'm sure you're right Anthony.

Steve Kramzer

Stunt Coordinator
Someone finally has season 1 available for pre-order, amazon for $44.96 and they have the date as 4/23. I hope DDD or someone else has it for around $38...

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
---begin rant---
Where the hell does Rhino pull those running time numbers from? Each episode is 22 minutes a piece; 88 minutes for 4 episodes; 352 minutes for the entire 16 episode 1st season. Hmm, 530 minutes or 352 minutes? What's in the extra 3 hours?
I also thought the set was going to be four discs. Is it going to be a three or four disc set? We're only getting (according to Rhino) 400 minutes outta those discs, so the boxed set has an extra two hours of programming? C'mon guys get some consistency here - they're the same damn releases, they should have the same reported length.
This is just annoying. How in the hell is it so hard to have an exact runtime listed on the press release/packaging. I love looking at their other releases that only have about 90 minutes of content (including extras) and the packaging states "running time = +/- 150 min." Yeah. I'd say an hour less content falls in that range. Sheesh!
---end rant---
mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks