Transformers Box Set: Is "Ask Dr. Rhino" an Easter Egg?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Patterson, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Ryan Patterson

Ryan Patterson Stunt Coordinator

I happily just received my TF box set a few days ago, thank goodness for Amazon! [​IMG] However, while going through the "Anomalies" section of the Special Features disc, I found a few things that had the caption "Ask Dr. Rhino" on them. What is this referring to? Is there a hidden Easter egg somewhere on the disc?
    While we're on the subject, I'm not sure if anyone has reviewed this box set yet, but I'll forward my 2 cents.
    What a feeling to FINALLY own the full first season of this series. Hard to believe it's already been 18 years! It's too bad I'm not 12 anymore, as watching the episodes from a 29-year-old's point of view seems a little corny. Ah well, I can at least look forward to showing them to my nieces and nephews, as well as my own children someday.
    I found the restoration process an interesting read, but it could've been MUCH better if they actually showed a video documentary of the restoration. Also, the write-up goes into how they fixed many of the film's defects by sampling clean shots from adjacent frames (an easy feat for a cartoon like this), yet the film is still full of one-frame flecks and other anomalies. The restoration process also showed errors such as the space bridge beam not lining up with Cybertron's tower correctly, and although they showed a fixed version in the comparison shots, they failed to incorporate it in the episode(s).
    The new 5.1 soundtrack is somewhat controversial. The opening credits' sound seems to partially cut in and out (particularly when Skywarp throws Jazz, who quickly transforms into his car and then back to robot mode). Also, in the beginning of "More than Meets the Eye", Part 2 when Brawn comes to Huffer's rescue, you only hear him say "-fer!" instead of "Huffer!" Still, for the most part the dialog is crisper in the 5.1 version, and some of the new sound effects take great advantage of the bass. However, for purity value, I'm glad they kept the original mono soundtrack in this set.
    Overall, I'm glad I picked up this box, and can't wait for season 2. Unfortunately, considering it took them a LONG time to master this 16 episode set, mastering another 48 episodes for S2 could take a very, VERY long time. I hope they bring more people on the project so that it can be ready for April 2003 (ie. one year later).
    I look forward to your responses about "Ask Dr. Rhino", and if you have your own 2 cents to throw in about the box set, be my guest!
    Ryan

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Actually, when I saw that bit, I meant to take it upon myself to go "ASK DR. RHINO" (which is the name of the Help/FAQ section at rhino.com).

So I just checked the FAQ, and saw nothing, so I just shot off a note to "Dr. Rhino". I'll let you know what the response is.

3. Don Peskin

Don Peskin Stunt Coordinator

I don't know the answer to your question but have one of my own. Is there a way to go directly to an episode? There's a PLAY ALL and SCENE INDEX but I don't see a way to select a specific episode.

4. Ryan Patterson

Ryan Patterson Stunt Coordinator

Thanks David, I hope you get an answer.

Hi Don,

The scene index provides access to each episode. Cursor down to the arrows on the bottom right and left to move back and forth between individual episodes.

5. Anthony Liz

Anthony Liz Stunt Coordinator

That's what I thought the "Ask Dr. Rhino" was too (rhino's website) and like you, I found nothing.

There is an Anomalies easter egg though, which can only be found if you have a DVD-Rom...

Mouse over to the right of "anomalies." The Decepticon logo will increase in size (letting you know you've selected it), click it and you can hear the Transformers theme song in Japanese.

This also happens on the "Original Transformers Script" section. This time the autobot icon pops up to the left but nothing seems happens when clicked. Maybe it's my computer, but worth trying out.

6. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

7. David Lambert

I just this VERY second got an answer from "Dr. Rhino":

8. Ryan Potts

Ryan Potts Stunt Coordinator

That's what I figured when I was watching it. oh well...

9. David Lambert

10. Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark Second Unit

Even though I'm really pleased to get the whole series in the correct order in this R1 set (The UK R2 discs are all over the place!) this whole thing smacks of lack of thought and I've told Rhino this (even though they haven't replied).

Basically all they have done on the extras disc is more or less transfer EVERYTHING they had to disc without really giving any thought to the presentation. Instead of the endless amounts of split-screen comparisons we should have got a tightly edited and properly presented 10 minute docu on the restoration process that made it clear what was being done and why. All that sprawling text FFS!!! It's cheap, that's why they did it!

I work in TV post production and it's obvious to me that they have simply transfered the "dump / archive" tape of the "restored elements" to disc, adding music over the top.

For the cost of this set I expected that some real thought would have gone into it. As others have said, it's ridiculous to show so much "restoration" and then not actually use it in the featured episodes!!!!!

I really hope Rhino DO listen to what the consumer has to say and that they sort out their rather bad presentation for the next season (which I would definately buy btw!).

I also told Rhino that maybe they should fire the idiot who did the audio remix as he / she has ruined it! As for those new and "improved" sound fx...

11. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer