What's new

Transformer electricity consumption (1 Viewer)

ricky fong

Auditioning
May I know how much more will be the transformer electricity consumption if let say:

Of using 3 appliances with each 100kW for 1 hour, the energy consumed is 300kWh whereas when these 3 appliances are all connected to a 2000kW transformer and all running for 1 hour, what will be the energy consumption result. Will I need to pay more due to the 2000kW transformer when comparing to without using it!!?? Thanks!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Of course you will. Even a transformer that is simply plugged in uses energy. Place your hand on your cell phone charger or a wallwart even when nothing is attached to it. If you contact the manufacturer, they should be able to provide you with a specific number or a factor (a per unit loss) that you can mulitply to arrive at the standby consumption.
I don't think you've got a 2000 kW transformer though unless you're the utility company. That can be rewritten as 2 megawatts.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
though in any case, the 'idle' load of the transformer will not be the rated load.

The only time that the transformer itself will generate a serious load is on initial 'charge' when it is seen as a dead short (for that is what it is,) until the inductive magnetic load puts a 'brake' on the thing. Then it will just be maintaining the magnetic load until you put a real load on the secondary side.

That initial 'charge' is very brief; usually a fraction of a second.

Leo

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
if you have a 2000kw xformer, ill gladly solve your energy woes and pay for shipping :) ive got an idea for an amp to build...

ricky fong

Auditioning
Please forgive my English, I still couldn't catch the answer!! My concern is how more or how % difference between with 2000kW transformer and without using it!!?? It seems there got some loss cousmption even without using the appliances but the difference is not so much!! Any further comments!!?? Thanks!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
You will have to contact the manufacturer for the amount of standby consumption Ricky. Then to that you must add the consumption of the devices attached.

You state that you have a 2000 kW transformer and that I suspect is a typographical error on your part. The information you are providing does not allow anyone to make an informed guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks