What's new

transferring files from computer to computer (1 Viewer)

Clinton C

Stunt Coordinator
I just got a new computer and want to copy all of my music and video files from my old computer to the new one. the problem is I have no idea how to go about this..can anybody tell me what i need and how to do it?

thanks

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
Assuming you don't have an in home network or CD writer in you old computer, you could remove the old hard drive and put it in the new computer temporarily.

1. Take out the "old" drive and hook it up to your "new computer" by removing the power and cable from the "new CDROM".
2. Boot up your computer and the "old" drive will be detected(assuming your current OS on the new computer is WinXP or 2000 you will probably have to reboot).
3. After reboot you'll find that your "old" drive has it's own drive letter(s) depending on how many partitions were on it.
4. Copy anything off of those drives you want to keep to drive C: (your new hard drive).
5. When everything is copied over, shut down, remove the "old" drive and reconnect the CDROM.
6. Put your "old" drive back in your old computer. New files are now on your new computer and your old computer works just as it did before.

OR if you don't care about the old computer, you can set the jumper to "Slave" on the "old" hard drive, and hook it to the 2nd IDE connector on the same cable as the new hard drive. Copy the files off you want to keep to C: and then format the old drive to your liking.

Hope this helps,
David_N

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Did you change operating systems from Win9X/ME to Win XP/2000? The solution above (which I would recommend otherwise) won't work if your old HD is FAT32 formatted and your new HD is NTFS.

If you have a network card in each system, you can use a crossover cable to create a peer to peer network connection. I walk you through the steps if you need them.

Clinton C

Stunt Coordinator
they are on different operating systems....they both have network cardsi sure would appreciate it if you could walk me through how to do it with the cables

thanks
clinton

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
First you need a crossover cable. See if someone you know or someone from an IT dept somewhere can make you one. Otherwise, you're going to have to buy one like this.

Go into TCP/IP properties for each system and specify the IP address as 169.10.10.10 and the other one as 169.10.10.20 -- doesn't matter which one is which. If you don't see these options, make sure you have installed Client for MS Networks on 9X/ME. Now change the workgroup name to be identical on both systems. Also make sure file sharing is installed. Plug the cross over cable into each system and reboot.

Make sure you log into the Win9X/ME system with the same login as an admin account on your XP/2K system. You will not see any shared folders unless you log into your 9X/ME system, so don't hit ESC at the login prompt. If you forgot your 9X/ME password, search in the windows directory for a file named [login].pwl (where [login] is whatever login you lost the password for) and delete it. When you reboot, it will reset your password. Also log into the XP/2K system with the same login.

Make all the root drives on the Win9X/ME full rights shares, browse to them via network neighborhood or map the shares on your XP/2K system, and then copy everything over.

When you're finished, go back into TCP/IP properties and switch it back to obtain an IP address automatically. Otherwise, you won't be able to get onto the internet (assuming you have broadband).

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
they both have network cardsi sure would appreciate it if you could walk me through how to do it with the cables
Well that's easier than I posted above. As stated above for the least amount of money overall you can buy a crossover cable and connect one to the other. The other option is to buy a switch, hub, or router and two regular CAT5 Ethernet cables.

In either case here's what you could do:
1. Connect cable(s) either crossover or switch and cables to each computer.
2. In your windows98 computer right click on Network Neighborhood and select properties.
3. Ensure that your network card is listed as an adaptor and that TCP/IP (and Netbeui would be recommended) is installed. If not add the new "Protocols" TCPIP and NetBeui.
4. If not using a router, which assigns IP addresses automatically, you should assign an IP address to your card. Double click TCPIP for your adaptor and select "Use the following IP address" check box. Enter an IP such as 10.1.1.1 and a Subnet Mask of 255.0.0.0. Return to the Network Neighborhood properties and select the "file and printer sharing" button. Check the box that says "I want share my files with others".
5. Check the workgroup name and computer name of the computer using the 2nd tab of the Network Neighborhood window. (Whatever the workgroup name is you should make it the same on both computers)(Also each computer needs a unique name, so as long as your new computer name isn't the same as the old one, there's no need to change it.)
6. After all this information is entered OK that and restart if required.
7. For Win2000 or XP follow the same steps as above, except Use My Network Places and enter a different IP such as 10.1.1.2 and Subnet Mask of 255.0.0.0. Also, to change your computer name and workgroup, Right click My computer and select properties, then use the Computer Name tab.
8. After all that, with both computers on and connected, you should be able to open a DOS window and type "ping 10.1.1.1" (without quotes) from your new computer and get a response. Same thing with the old computer except "ping 10.1.1.2" should be used to find the other computer.
9. You now must share the directory(ies) on the old computer you want to get to. Whatever you select as a share will share every subdirectory and file under it. So you could share you whole C: drive by right clicking on it and select "share". Check the option that says "Share this directory". Select ok.
10. If all went as planned, you should be able to browse "My Network Places"-"Entire Network"-"Microsoft Windows Network"-(your old computer)-(your share on the old computer).

When everything you want is copied over to your new computer you could stop sharing (for security concerns)in the Network Neighborhood.

Hopefully this made some sense to you. Any questions post again. Let us know how it turns out.

David_N

LOL I took so long to type all that, Hanson answered you already. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks