transferring files from computer to computer

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Clinton C, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Clinton C

Clinton C Stunt Coordinator

I just got a new computer and want to copy all of my music and video files from my old computer to the new one. the problem is I have no idea how to go about this..can anybody tell me what i need and how to do it?

thanks

2. David_N

David_N Stunt Coordinator

Assuming you don't have an in home network or CD writer in you old computer, you could remove the old hard drive and put it in the new computer temporarily.

1. Take out the "old" drive and hook it up to your "new computer" by removing the power and cable from the "new CDROM".
    2. Boot up your computer and the "old" drive will be detected(assuming your current OS on the new computer is WinXP or 2000 you will probably have to reboot).
    3. After reboot you'll find that your "old" drive has it's own drive letter(s) depending on how many partitions were on it.
    4. Copy anything off of those drives you want to keep to drive C: (your new hard drive).
    5. When everything is copied over, shut down, remove the "old" drive and reconnect the CDROM.
    6. Put your "old" drive back in your old computer. New files are now on your new computer and your old computer works just as it did before.

OR if you don't care about the old computer, you can set the jumper to "Slave" on the "old" hard drive, and hook it to the 2nd IDE connector on the same cable as the new hard drive. Copy the files off you want to keep to C: and then format the old drive to your liking.

Hope this helps,
    David_N

3. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Did you change operating systems from Win9X/ME to Win XP/2000? The solution above (which I would recommend otherwise) won't work if your old HD is FAT32 formatted and your new HD is NTFS.

If you have a network card in each system, you can use a crossover cable to create a peer to peer network connection. I walk you through the steps if you need them.

4. Clinton C

Clinton C Stunt Coordinator

they are on different operating systems....they both have network cardsi sure would appreciate it if you could walk me through how to do it with the cables

thanks
    clinton

5. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    First you need a crossover cable. See if someone you know or someone from an IT dept somewhere can make you one. Otherwise, you're going to have to buy one like this.

Go into TCP/IP properties for each system and specify the IP address as 169.10.10.10 and the other one as 169.10.10.20 -- doesn't matter which one is which. If you don't see these options, make sure you have installed Client for MS Networks on 9X/ME. Now change the workgroup name to be identical on both systems. Also make sure file sharing is installed. Plug the cross over cable into each system and reboot.

Make sure you log into the Win9X/ME system with the same login as an admin account on your XP/2K system. You will not see any shared folders unless you log into your 9X/ME system, so don't hit ESC at the login prompt. If you forgot your 9X/ME password, search in the windows directory for a file named [login].pwl (where [login] is whatever login you lost the password for) and delete it. When you reboot, it will reset your password. Also log into the XP/2K system with the same login.

Make all the root drives on the Win9X/ME full rights shares, browse to them via network neighborhood or map the shares on your XP/2K system, and then copy everything over.

When you're finished, go back into TCP/IP properties and switch it back to obtain an IP address automatically. Otherwise, you won't be able to get onto the internet (assuming you have broadband).

6. David_N

David_N Stunt Coordinator