What's new

Transferring data from one tower to another. (1 Viewer)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Just got a new DELL tower and I want to transfer my data from my old machine to the new one as painless as possible.

They're just pictures and documents, I have all the software and applications on CD already. My old tower does not have a burner, so that's not an option.

Should I buy one of those jumpstart keys ?
Can I link both machines via USB or serial and download a shareware app that would move my files over ?

I can network both machines, but I don't want to go thru the expense and hassle... Any suggestions ?

My old tower has WIN98, has anyone used the Direct Cable Connection option ?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I used PC Relocator program and it worked like a charm. It comes in two versions, the top end one uses the network cable to transfer data lighning quick, or the older version used serial cable...slow though.

However, doesn't W XP allow you to hook up two PC's and tranfer data? Never done it, but heard folks talk of it.

Good luck

Alfer

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member

Just move the hard drive from the old machine into the new machine as a slave. Copy files - job done, no financial outlay and no hassle.

StephenL

Second Unit
Connect your computers with an Ethernet crossover cable and use the Windows XP Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Stephen...

Does this work when the old machine is say Windows 2000 pro?

Does it get all the essential files and programs transferred like the PC Relocator I mentioned does?

Curious cause I may be in the market for a new PC this year.

StephenL

Second Unit
Works with Windows 95 and up. I don't think it will transfer programs. You can specify the file types or use the default settings.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
If you're only tranferring pictures and files (no programs) then I would just use a cross-over cable. I wouldn't bother with the XP File Transfer Wizard. Just network them with a cheap cable and make the drive on your old computer shared. Then simply copy over everything you need. If you make sure all firewalls are off or adjusted it should take no time at all.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Seth, when you mention crossover cable, are you referring to a simple serial one ?..my old machine does not have a NIC card.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Given that you don't have a NIC in the old PC, I think you're better off just taking the hard drive out of the old PC, and hooking it up as a slave drive in the new PC, boot it up, and just copy the files over from the old hard drive to the new hard.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Oops, sorry. I didn't realize it didn't have a NIC. In that case putting the old hd in the new machine is definitely the easiest route. Also, you coud leave it in to back-up your important files. Make sure when you take it out that you adjust the jumper on the hd to make it a slave drive. There will hopefully be a diagram on the hd showing this; if not, go to the manufacturer's website and it should tell you there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks